First Computer build.

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I want help with my new computer build, at the moment mines quite crap, anyway heres what I'm thinking.

CPU - C2D E6300

Motherboard - I don't know yet, but anything that overclocks well will be good

Graphics Card - I'm waiting to save up, etc and for the new Raedon to come out.
RAM - 256Mbs DDR2 at first, but eventually 4Gbs

Sound Card - Internals good enough for me, unless its recommended to get one.

PSU - Anything reccommended

Cooling - A good Water Cooling system.

Case - (Already Got) Coolermaster Centurion 5

HDD - 300Gb SATAII preferred, no raid though.

I can get it as I save up, I can use my current system for the games I like, but I want it to be faster.

I live in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia, and stores could be Scorpion Technologies or anywhere that will post to Ballarat (109Kms from Melbourne)

Thanks in advance Brutuz

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
An... interesting selection of components. Let's work down the list:

Intel Core2Duo E6300
A good cpu, a good price, and overclocks well, good choice.

Asus P5B-E
This board is an excellent overclocker, it's also very affordable. And of course comes with any feature you could actually use.

Video card?
Since your waiting for the R600 (ATI's first DX10 videocard), other new cards will come out. 8600 series, as well as ATI's next gen mid-range cards too. Don't pick a videocard that isn't out yet without benchmarks. Wait till it comes out, do your research, then decide.

Sound card?
Integrated is usually more then enough for most people. Unless you have a 5.1 set of speakers, or must have flawless sound quality.

OCZ GameXStream 600watt
This PSU will deliver more then enough power to any single GPU system. It's quite, and gives out stable, clean power. Highly recommended.

Water Cooling?
Overkill. Save your money. Get a good HSF (HeatSink + Fan) if you plan on doing some heavy overclocking, otherwise stock HSF will probably be enough.

Corsair XMS DDR2-667 4-4-4-12
Ugh, 256MB memory? This will sink your systems performance to the bottom of the ocean. I could see you getting away with 512MB memory for awhile, but 256MB just wont cut it. That money you'll save from not getting water cooling should be spent here. Also, 4GB is a waste of money unless you plan on running Vista as your primary OS (which is usually a bad idea for any new OS)

Seagate Baracuda 7200.10
A 320GB hard drive with all the latest features (NCQ, SATA II, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache). And of course then run fast, and fairly quite.

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Thanks, But what HSF should I get?
I was thinking this one because thats the one that TH used in the OCing Part 3 thing, and yes I will want to overclock, I've gotten into it with my Athlon XP :p

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Agreed on all that.

Another option for a mobo is the Gigabyte 965P-S3....cheap and overclocks very well. Another option is the Biostar 965.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yes, that's the board. And WOW that's expensive as hell. Ouch.

The Biostar is harder to find though.

Another option on a budget that overclocks AND has SLI is the ASUS P5N-E. Should be more readily available and doesn't cost a fortune either.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
The 7600GT is a VERY good performer for the price. But honestly, for that XFX Fatal1ty card you're paying for the name and the passive cooling. I personally don't think it's worth it. You could get a simple EVGA 7600GT with a stock cooler and it'll keep cool no problem. And if you want an aftermarket cooler, then just buy a Zalman VF-700 or 900 and then you can reuse it later. Seems like a better idea, more flexibility, and better return on your money than going with a Fatal1ty card.

Consider this one instead, it's already overclocked for you too and on sale now:
http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/20165

Brutuz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Aye, the problems of living in Australia.....

But anyway, thanks for your help, I'll just have to make sure I've got enough and then buy the stuff 8)