taskbar and start button

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
October 14, 2004 5:57:02 PM

Hi all,
using group policy I want to lockout right clicking on the start button so
users cannot explore system but the only place I have found was to lock out
the taskbar from the users. Is there a place to just lock out the start menu
(right click) so that the users can still have quick launch and desktop
taskbars?
Right clicking the start button allows my users to go to mapped drives which
would in turn allow them to delete some program files which they must have
modify rights to.
Is there another place to lock this down?
I don't understand well enough how to make a mapped drive hidden and users
still have rights to it. In group policy I only see how to lock out A: B: C:
drives and not drives such as P: drive mapping.
Any solutions would be very appreciated.
Sher

More about : taskbar start button

Anonymous
October 14, 2004 10:11:02 PM

Have you looked at

User Config\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\

Remove access to the context menus for the taskbar

or

Disable context menus for the taskbar

Hides the menus that appear when you right-click the taskbar and items on
the taskbar, such as the Start button, the clock, and the taskbar buttons.
This setting does not prevent users from using other methods to issue the
commands that appear on these menus.

BR,
Denis

"Sher" wrote:

> Hi all,
> using group policy I want to lockout right clicking on the start button so
> users cannot explore system but the only place I have found was to lock out
> the taskbar from the users. Is there a place to just lock out the start menu
> (right click) so that the users can still have quick launch and desktop
> taskbars?
> Right clicking the start button allows my users to go to mapped drives which
> would in turn allow them to delete some program files which they must have
> modify rights to.
> Is there another place to lock this down?
> I don't understand well enough how to make a mapped drive hidden and users
> still have rights to it. In group policy I only see how to lock out A: B: C:
> drives and not drives such as P: drive mapping.
> Any solutions would be very appreciated.
> Sher
October 15, 2004 1:23:10 PM

Hi,
See my other posts, maybe they will explain what I am wanting more in detail.
remove or disable context menus then they cannot use toolbars.

!