Last response: in Windows 7
July 4, 2011 10:50:25 PM

Hello Everyone!

Im using a Toshiba laptop, brand new.

i7-2630qm quad core
4gb RAM
750 HD
1gb Nvidia gt 540m

This happened to me twice already. Well three times to be exact. The first time, i installed kaspersky antivirus, shut down my computer then turned it on again. I was testing how long my computer would take for it to start/load a program (since i just installed an antivirus and i want to see if the AV slows my computer down) it didnt, the boot up was only around 5 seconds late. BUT the moment it loaded my desktop, THAT same instant i immediately clicked on the google chrome program. I did this as i wanted to know how long it would take, from a log in to a program application load. However my computer just froze. The was the windows circle thing just spinning around. I waited 5 minutes, nothing happened. I just then did a cold boot... :(  (Maybe it was my fault clicking immediately? But i dont know, i tested this ''immediate click after log in'' with my weak intel atom desktop..it didnt freeze..lol)

That was the 1st incident to freezing.

The 2nd and 3rd ones, happened yesterday. I updated again, this time it wasan intel hd graphics update. after installing it, it said to restart my computer. I did. My computer restarted then when i was at the log in screen, i decided to shut down, since i dont really need to log in. Next time i used my computer, It froze after I logged in. I can see my desktop and everything, but theres this circle thing again, loading. My gadgets didnt even load as usual. I waited for a while then another cold boot.

Finally, it happened again, same day. when i turned it on, it froze on me during the log in screen. No desktop visible.

Is this really normal? All these three events happened with my battery power mode on ''power saver''

Today i tried setting it to high performance and it seemed to show my desktop a lot quicker after log in. MAYBE power is really the issue, hopefully.

Also, the only thing i suspect is that my laptop is fairly new. Just bought it a week ago. Windows 7 seemed to be updating lots. NET framework, security update for microsoft c++, ,,etc, it could be that my system is new and the updates cause it to freeze? It shouldnt but .. IDK. lol

Please help, im so scared. Its my new system..after months of saving. I mean, its JUST a normal freeze right? Cause of the updates/low power saving mode??

More about : laptop windows broken

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2011 11:10:34 PM

Hi there,

The answer to your question is no your new laptop shouldn't be acting up this way.
However I'm not sure you are letting it get set up and update properly.

First thing to do is to let Windows Update download and install all the security and windows updates required to get it up to date.
When it is finished, check the update history to make sure they all installed successfully.

Then disconnect from the Inet, and uninstall Kaspersky, reboot, then reinstall it without doing anything else. Next update the antivirus definitions.

Finally, if you have any further hangs, check the Event Viewer, Custom View, Administrative Events to tell you what application or service or driver is causing the problem
Score
a b D Laptop
July 4, 2011 11:12:03 PM

I would say it is windows update causing this. Just boot it and do update after the os boots and then restart after all is up to date and see if problems are fixed.
Score
Related resources
July 4, 2011 11:15:46 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi there,

The answer to your question is no your new laptop shouldn't be acting up this way.
However I'm not sure you are letting it get set up and update properly.

First thing to do is to let Windows Update download and install all the security and windows updates required to get it up to date.
When it is finished, check the update history to make sure they all installed successfully.

Then disconnect from the Inet, and uninstall Kaspersky, reboot, then reinstall it without doing anything else. Next update the antivirus definitions.

Finally, if you have any further hangs, check the Event Viewer, Custom View, Administrative Events to tell you what application or service or driver is causing the problem

Yeah, but im just wondering whether or not my system is a refurb.

I looked at event manager and saw this in one of the entries:

Log name: microsoft windows kernel eventTracing/Admin
source: kernel event tracing
event ID: 3
level: error
User: SYSTEM
Opcode: Stop

logged: 17/04/2011
task category : session
keywords: session
Computer: Toshiba-User

NOW, the thing that made me think its a refurb because of the log date..

I just bought my laptop last week..how is this possible?
Score
July 4, 2011 11:19:27 PM

christop said:
I would say it is windows update causing this. Just boot it and do update after the os boots and then restart after all is up to date and see if problems are fixed.

Yeah hopefully. :) 

1st instance was fairly new, just had small updates now and then.

2nd - 3rd, my system was somewhat fully updated.

Yesterday i just updated my toshiba BIOS after the incident, hopefully it would freeze again.

Has this ever happened to you? Could it be my system is really faulty? Ive been reading a lot of these windows 7 freezes

I ran chkdsk, no probs, as well as sfc /scannow.

Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2011 11:24:37 PM

upd@te said:
Yeah, but im just wondering whether or not my system is a refurb.

I looked at event manager and saw this in one of the entries:

Log name: microsoft windows kernel eventTracing/Admin
source: kernel event tracing
event ID: 3
User: SYSTEM
Opcode: Stop

NOW, the thing that made me think its a refurb because of the log date..

I just bought my laptop last week..how is this possible?

When you first turned it on, did it go through an installation process, where you inputted you name, computer name, date, time zone, etc and then installed windows? That would mean it's new. Also look in the Windows explorer file structure and see if there are any other Users listed.

Also recheck the date closely, could it be 7/04/11 rather than the reverse date nomenclature?
Score
July 4, 2011 11:38:08 PM

John_VanKirk said:
When you first turned it on, did it go through an installation process, where you inputted you name, computer name, date, time zone, etc and then installed windows? That would mean it's new. Also look in the Windows explorer file structure and see if there are any other Users listed.

Also recheck the date closely, could it be 7/04/11 rather than the reverse date nomenclature?

Yeah, i had to input my name..everything. It was sealed when i got it. Just curious what that date means, maybe it was the manufacturers testing it???

''- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
[ Guid] {B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}

EventID 3

Version 0

Level 2

Task 2

Opcode 14

Keywords 0x8000000000000010

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-04-16T22:57:54.178410000Z

EventRecordID 1

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 200

Channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin

Computer Toshiba-User

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

SessionName Microsoft-Windows-Setup
FileName C:\windows\Panther\setup.etl
ErrorCode 3221225485
LoggingMode 5
''

OK..back to the MAIN problem. You say my laptop shouldnt do this. But i have read a lot regarding freezing and all that and it could be due to a lot of reasons, mainly updates, services...power management..etc.

It could also be a sign of a Hard drive defect. When i used chkdsk, it didnt find any problems, does that mean we can safely rule out the HD problem?

This freezing at log in thing, do you think its a sign of a faulty file system or a sign that my system could be more prone to failure in a few years time? Or is this freeze problem ''common'' (not to everyone) to windows 7 users?

Score

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 5, 2011 1:38:46 AM

upd@te said:
Yeah, i had to input my name..everything. It was sealed when i got it. Just curious what that date means, maybe it was the manufacturers testing it???

''- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
[ Guid] {B675EC37-BDB6-4648-BC92-F3FDC74D3CA2}

EventID 3

Version 0

Level 2

Task 2

Opcode 14

Keywords 0x8000000000000010

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2011-04-16T22:57:54.178410000Z

EventRecordID 1

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 200

Channel Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin

Computer Toshiba-User

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

SessionName Microsoft-Windows-Setup
FileName C:\windows\Panther\setup.etl
ErrorCode 3221225485
LoggingMode 5
''

OK..back to the MAIN problem. You say my laptop shouldnt do this. But i have read a lot regarding freezing and all that and it could be due to a lot of reasons, mainly updates, services...power management..etc.

It could also be a sign of a Hard drive defect. When i used chkdsk, it didnt find any problems, does that mean we can safely rule out the HD problem?

This freezing at log in thing, do you think its a sign of a faulty file system or a sign that my system could be more prone to failure in a few years time? Or is this freeze problem ''common'' (not to everyone) to windows 7 users?

Lots of folks have installation problems because they don't let the whole installation and update process complete properly.
It takes time and a complete installation isn't finished until all the updates are installed.

I wouldn't worry about it, just let the system complete, and always let a process finish before jumping to the next one.
Your computer was brand new, that was the completion date of the installation process.
Let it finish the installation, finish the updates, then one at a time, install applications you want on your net machine.
July 5, 2011 9:18:47 AM

Best answer selected by upd@te.
Score
July 5, 2011 9:25:44 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Lots of folks have installation problems because they don't let the whole installation and update process complete properly.
It takes time and a complete installation isn't finished until all the updates are installed.

I wouldn't worry about it, just let the system complete, and always let a process finish before jumping to the next one.
Your computer was brand new, that was the completion date of the installation process.
Let it finish the installation, finish the updates, then one at a time, install applications you want on your net machine.

Yeah I guess you're right :) 

Thanks so much for your guidance!

However I still have some questions regarding the Event Viewer. I have some log errors i dont understand.

Would it be possible if i post them here and ask about it?

Thanks! :) 
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 5, 2011 11:44:04 AM

upd@te said:
Yeah I guess you're right :) 

Thanks so much for your guidance!

However I still have some questions regarding the Event Viewer. I have some log errors i dont understand.

Would it be possible if i post them here and ask about it?

Thanks! :) 

Sure! There is a lot of information logged in the Event viewer. Much of it is for Administrators that is not pertinent to everyday computing.
You will never have a clean Event viewer because events happen continuously, and there are always some errors showing up. A good way to watch your computer for stability is to look at the Reliability application from time to time.
Score
July 5, 2011 11:31:35 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Sure! There is a lot of information logged in the Event viewer. Much of it is for Administrators that is not pertinent to everyday computing.
You will never have a clean Event viewer because events happen continuously, and there are always some errors showing up. A good way to watch your computer for stability is to look at the Reliability application from time to time.

Oh, thank you so much!
I have a some questions regarding issues with my Event Viewer, but I will only list the most important ones for me.

1) The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

The speed of processor 4 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

..etc

Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-processor-power
eventid: 37
level: warning
time: got logged on three days, spanning from the 2nd to the 4th of this month..multiple times

2) The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

log: system
source: volsnap
id: 25
time: happened once.

3) Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

log: application
source: WMI
id: 10
user: n/a
opcode: info
time: happens everyday, gets logged from since the day i bought it.

And FINALLY this one. I think this one's a bit serious..

4) Possible Memory Leak. Application (C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) (PID: 404) has passed a non-NULL pointer to RPC for an [out] parameter marked [allocate(all_nodes)]. [allocate(all_nodes)] parameters are always reallocated; if the original pointer contained the address of valid memory, that memory will be leaked. The call originated on the interface with UUID ({3f31c91e-2545-4b7b-9311-9529e8bffef6}), Method number (20). User Action: Contact your application vendor for an updated version of the application.

log name: application
source: RPC (Microsoft Windows RPC Events)
id: 11

This only happened once, on 1/07/2011

Thats all for now i think. It would be very helpful if you would help me interpret these!

Thanks so much! :) 
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2011 2:02:21 AM

upd@te said:
Oh, thank you so much!
I have a some questions regarding issues with my Event Viewer, but I will only list the most important ones for me.

1) The speed of processor 7 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

The speed of processor 2 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

The speed of processor 4 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

..etc

Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-processor-power
eventid: 37
time: got logged on three days, spanning from the 2nd to the 4th of this month..multiple times

2) The shadow copies of volume C: were deleted because the shadow copy storage could not grow in time. Consider reducing the IO load on the system or choose a shadow copy storage volume that is not being shadow copied.

log: system
source: volsnap
id: 25
time: happened once.

3) Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

log: application
source: WMI
id: 10
user: n/a
time: happens everyday, gets logged from since the day i bought it.

And FINALLY this one. I think this one's a bit serious..

4) Possible Memory Leak. Application (C:\windows\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted) (PID: 404) has passed a non-NULL pointer to RPC for an [out] parameter marked [allocate(all_nodes)]. [allocate(all_nodes)] parameters are always reallocated; if the original pointer contained the address of valid memory, that memory will be leaked. The call originated on the interface with UUID ({3f31c91e-2545-4b7b-9311-9529e8bffef6}), Method number (20). User Action: Contact your application vendor for an updated version of the application.

log name: application
source: RPC (Microsoft Windows RPC Events)
id: 11

This only happened once, on 1/07/2011

Thats all for now i think. It would be very helpful if you would help me interpret these!

Thanks so much! :) 

Trying to tie down the Administrative Errors and warnings would take days! Lots depends which version of Win-7 you have, and what other devices you are interacting with on your network. Checked my Event Viewer and there are 4 errors over the part several days, multiple warnings. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure them out.

The one you may be able to influence is the Volume Shadow Copy, which is part of the restore to a previous time and backup/restore program. Make sure you have adequate space for the system restore points, and if running backup and restore, there is plenty of disk space for incremental backups and intermittnat images.

You can also dig deeper in the Event Viewer structure, for example, find down in the Windows, Application & Services log info about WMI, and many of the other triggered events. You can even follow out the error codes at the MS online info data, but mostly it leads to an unproductive end.

Many times in the posts regarding Even Viewer errors, folks will say, if they always bother you looking at them, don't look in the Event Viewer!
Score
July 6, 2011 4:39:31 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Trying to tie down the Administrative Errors and warnings would take days! Lots depends which version of Win-7 you have, and what other devices you are interacting with on your network. Checked my Event Viewer and there are 4 errors over the part several days, multiple warnings. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure them out.

The one you may be able to influence is the Volume Shadow Copy, which is part of the restore to a previous time and backup/restore program. Make sure you have adequate space for the system restore points, and if running backup and restore, there is plenty of disk space for incremental backups and intermittnat images.

You can also dig deeper in the Event Viewer structure, for example, find down in the Windows, Application & Services log info about WMI, and many of the other triggered events. You can even follow out the error codes at the MS online info data, but mostly it leads to an unproductive end.

Many times in the posts regarding Even Viewer errors, folks will say, if they always bother you looking at them, don't look in the Event Viewer!

Yeah, I understand! From what you have seen, do you think I am just overreacting? Since its my first laptop and all that?
These ''problems'' are not that serious right? Its just normal for windows users i guess.

My laptop is fine you think? I mean, as long as its WORKING, and it doesnt crash or something, i will be fine?

Thanks so much, and I will stop worrying about the Event Viewer!
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 6, 2011 3:59:58 PM

upd@te said:
Yeah, I understand! From what you have seen, do you think I am just overreacting? Since its my first laptop and all that?
These ''problems'' are not that serious right? Its just normal for windows users i guess.

My laptop is fine you think? I mean, as long as its WORKING, and it doesnt crash or something, i will be fine?

Thanks so much, and I will stop worrying about the Event Viewer!

Hi again,

Well, I think your laptop is fine! The event viewer is there for Adm to track down problems. If it weren't visible, we couldn't see all the entries and fuss over it. It is there when we have problems.

99% of folks using laptops, and desktops, aren't aware of all the builtin troubleshooting features and logs, and low level testing applets.

Remember the old adage, 'if it's not broken, don't try to fix it!'. Just enjoy it!
Score
July 6, 2011 10:35:58 PM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi again,

Well, I think your laptop is fine! The event viewer is there for Adm to track down problems. If it weren't visible, we couldn't see all the entries and fuss over it. It is there when we have problems.

99% of folks using laptops, and desktops, aren't aware of all the builtin troubleshooting features and logs, and low level testing applets.

Remember the old adage, 'if it's not broken, don't try to fix it!'. Just enjoy it!

Thanks so much for all your patience with me! It helped me a lot!

In this forum, is there a way to give people points for helping or something? You really deserve one and I want to give some to you if possible! :) 
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
July 7, 2011 12:33:18 AM

upd@te said:
Thanks so much for all your patience with me! It helped me a lot!

In this forum, is there a way to give people points for helping or something? You really deserve one and I want to give some to you if possible! :) 

Everyone's here to help. We've all been down the same path, asked the same questions, made lot's of mistakes! The only positive reinforcement if you feel someone has helped is to mark on the post 'best answer'. That marks the post 'problem solved' and highlights the person you felt helped the most.

Glad you did pick up some good points!
Score
July 7, 2011 2:01:11 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Everyone's here to help. We've all been down the same path, asked the same questions, made lot's of mistakes! The only positive reinforcement if you feel someone has helped is to mark on the post 'best answer'. That marks the post 'problem solved' and highlights the person you felt helped the most.

Glad you did pick up some good points!

I have said this before, but before I go, I want to say thanks again! :) 
Score
April 11, 2012 3:48:13 PM

I would say it's simply your power management software underclocking (reducing performance) your CPU to save power. Set your power management to maximum performance and it shouldn't appear.

Just note that it's not bad, it's merely power optimization.
Score
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
April 12, 2012 6:30:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!