Western Digital, 8hrs/day recommended??

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
I've heard that Western Digital recommend their HD usage to be <8hrs/day, but I've been letting my computer on for 3 days straight, simply to continuously download torrents.

I've started to notice some weird noises coming out from the PC, but not sure if it's the HD or not(yet).

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.
HD spec in my sig
:?

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If it's the hard drive you'll be able to stick your ear next to it and hear.

Give it adequate cooling and it'll be fine.

I run 3 WDs in my system (which on it's current stretch has been on for 24 days).

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
The strange noise could be a fan, or a hdd, maybe an optical drive.

As for the duty cycle of hard drives, I've heard nothing about WD rating their hdd's for only 8 hours of use each day. Personally, I've run all types of hard drives for 24/7 and haven't had any problems. In my home web server I've left it running months at a time without any problem from any hdd in it.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I've heard that Western Digital recommend their HD usage to be <8hrs/day
Wow, maybe later they will recommend you to never turn on your PC so the HDD will still always in good states as new ? What a crap !!!

btw, most things are recommended to keep your HDD's life are longer is : keep the temperature as low as possible, so putting fan(s) near your HDD and keeping the overall temperature of your rig as low as possible would be the solution.
Other things is to fix the HDD in a stable place, check for the cables and power supply connector are in good state.

Make sure that the PSU give a good flow of electricity.

I have PCs and other equipment with Western Digital, Maxtor, and Seagate drives that have been running almost non-stop for several years. Our BDC has 5 Western Digital Drives, and has not been turned off, other than to reboot after a software upgrade, for over 5 years.

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
Most WD drives are fairly reliable. I have 6 drives in two computers that are almost never off. While the most recent drives were installed last week most are between 2-3 years old.

Its been years since I've had a real problem with a dead drive. Usually my problems turn out to be are with drivers or powercords getting loose after shipping.

The thing to remember is dust and heat. Do you live in the middle of a Kansas wheat field, or do you live by a pristine mountain lake? Make sure you have good cooling, and keep your PC clean. Make sure all your fans are operating, and do not get clogged with dust. A PC running 24-7 will gather dust rather quickly, depending on the envirnoment.
In my experience, it's usually a fan that fails first, if you don't notice it, then heat can build and cause premature failure of a drive, or any piece of hardware for that matter. So be sure to check their operation regularly. If you do these things, your hardware most likely will out last it's useful lifespan before you decide to upgrade, even if you run it 24-7.

powerbaselx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I've heard that Western Digital recommend their HD usage to be <8hrs/day, but I've been letting my computer on for 3 days straight, simply to continuously download torrents.

I've started to notice some weird noises coming out from the PC, but not sure if it's the HD or not(yet).

What do you guys think?

First issue: ignore that recomendation and do your external backups regularly. I know lots of people that keep their WD's 24x7 for several years and no problem at all.

Second issue: open your case, power on and boot windows, and check where the sound is coming from... probably from some fan (PSU, graphics,...) or the noise of the disks working.

Hope this helps!

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
thanks for the replies guys :eek:

I live in Houston, TX. My rig has just been up and running for a little less than a month. I have an air purifier on the left on my desk and my rig on the right :D My HD's temperature is ~35C under normal usage(not idle), and there's 2 x 80mm fan from the front of my case blowing right across it, so heat shouldn't be the problem.

I'm currently at my school's library right now, so I can't clearly state that which component is the sound coming from, but it will be the first thing I'll do as soon as I get home.

I started to noticed the noise for only about 2-3 days ago, I thought it was my purifier 'rumbling' somehow under low speed. But this morning when I saw "this sort of topic" scrolling on Tomshardware homepage, so I thought I would take a chance to look further into it, since I don't usually have good luck with electronic components :?

Do you think maybe the PSU has something to do with it also? I've never trusted it since it came with my budget-tighted $50 case. I'm planning to purchase an XClio GreatPower 550W which others have recommended me in my other thread. But again, I'm still under the budget issue.

Anywayyy, I'll keep yall updated with the system.

Thanks again for all of yall's time and support. :)

warnysouth

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Are you running something like Azureus? I've heard that programs like that can cause strange hdd noises (and even damage the drives) although i have no idea if its true!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I live in Houston, TX. My rig has just been up and running for a little less than a month. I have an air purifier on the left on my desk and my rig on the right Very Happy My HD's temperature is ~35C under normal usage(not idle), and there's 2 x 80mm fan from the front of my case blowing right across it, so heat shouldn't be the problem.

I dunno, I have 2x 80mm fans blowing over one of my drive bays (one side-mounted blowing over the drive controller and one mounted on the front of the case, drawing air inwards over the drive surface) and the temps for the two drives in the bay - both Western Digital - are between 16 and 22 degrees (idle/load). Perhaps get some better fans, or place them more strategically? Mine were only cheap, but I'm just sharing my experience.

mcneillm

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Ok, there are a number of points brought up, so here goes:

1. Under normal conditions, You'll probably have filled your HDD long before it ever dies, even running 24/7.

2. A decent power supply is vital, for the amount of use you're giving your machine, get a good one.

3. 35c is not extremely hot, but it would be good to keep an eye on your HDD temps, especially during warm weather. mine never get above 23c.

4. I know from personal experience that downloading and uploading torrents is very stressful on HDDs, it might be an idea to get something like SpeedFan to keep and eye on the S.M.A.R.T. health of your drive.

omgitslong

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
thanks for the replies guys, I measured the temp of the HD with the temp. monitor that came with my case. Under normal usage, it's ~27C.

I left my HD outside, right next to the case.

CIMG1342.jpg

I started hearing that noise again, so I put my head closer to the HD, it wasn't the HD... but instead, it was something I never expected :oops:

CIMG1344.jpg

It was the front Acrylic layer that's rapidly colliding against the plastic front of my case :x

So I decided to tuck notecards(they were lying around :D) between them

CIMG1346.jpg

wow... who would've thought... HAHAHHAAH that's one retarded looking case!!! :lol: but the good thing is my HDD is A OK :D

btw, I'm using BitLord for the torrents, it's Azureus equivalent.

Thanks again for your time and support guys!! :)