8500 to 9600XT (Changed)

Greetings,

I want to upgrade my old 8500 with another cheap AGP solution. The 2 major options are x1300 XT and x1650 Pro.
As far as I know, the difference between is minor and as my budget is limited, x1300XT will be decent.

But my concern is, most of the tests/previews done with x1300XT are with DDR3 rams. The only x1300XT I can find in my country is the Sapphire version of 256 MB of DDR2 Ram. The difference between this and x1650 Pro is 50$.

So, is DDR2/DDR3 difference very important, or is it ok to buy it even with DDR2 to save 50$?

Thanks for any replies!
9 answers Last reply
More about 8500 9600xt changed
  1. yes, the difference will be surprisingly big because the x1650 will have its memory ddr3 clocked even higher, because it it the 2nd generation of that card (x**50), it will also support dongle-less crossfire(i think), use less power and have a more powerful core architecture, these are all small differences but all together they make a big impact, the extra $50 is well spent
  2. yes go for the X1650pro if you have the extra $50 because its a 2nd Generation card, also its a upper midrange card while the x1300xt is a lower mid-range.
    Also GDD3 VS DDR2 is quite a big difference look at the GF7300GT GDDR3 VS GF7300 GT DDR2
    you will see that the clock rates are different.
  3. Thank you for your replies!

But I decided to do the following:
    Currently, the only game I am playing is WoW and for those who doesn`t know about the game, it is one of the least demanding games in the market. Even my 8500 is satisfying myself unless in crowded zones.

I found a 9600XT and bought it. Yes, it is an ancient card but I think compared to 8500, it is a masterwork. Something like x1650 or 6600GT might be overkill, I thought..

What I would like to know now is, is it really day and night comparing 8500 and 9600XT? My average FPS in the game is around 20+, will this card make it like 35+?
  4. yes actually the R9600XT is quite a nice card, my friend has a R9600pro and its still kicking and quite nicely i may add :)
    enjoy
  5. Quote:
    What I would like to know now is, is it really day and night comparing 8500 and 9600XT? My average FPS in the game is around 20+, will this card make it like 35+?

We can't tell you without knowing the rest of your system specs, also you will probably have better luck posting your specs in a WoW forum and asking for the opinons of people with similar setups, just a thought.
  6. Thank you, neighbour :-)

I wanted to hear this..

Edit: to Fred

Actually I know that you cannot give me an average FPS without knowing my spec but I just wanted to have a comparison. Like if 8500 does X, 9600XT would do around 1.5X or so..
    Thanks for your reply though
  7. Well i would say and this is pure guessing mind you , the card should show an increase of about 15 to 20 fps :)
  8. personal recommendation, i play wow i have a x1600pro, which is slightly over clocked, so ti is pretty much a x1650pro, i have everything maxed apart from AF and terrain distance and i am getting about 45 fps average, it think this card would be good for playing wow but definitely not overkill
  9. I just wanted to feedback my results..

I was having 22 FPS on average with my 8500.
    After 9600XT, it rised to 40 FPS.

Almost doubled, quite a great performance gain. But I couldn't resist to improve the settings. Most of them were already at max, but I changed 24 bit 1X Multisample to 24bit 6X multisaple. The quality improvement were amazing, but done the same test again, the FPS is now 20..

Looks like I have to give up quality or quantity, but still. It is a big improvement
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon DDR2 DDR3 Graphics