Suggestions for a CPU cooler?

kempie

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I've got a dual core E6600 (not o/c as yet), but it runs very hot with the standard Intel CPU cooler (idles at about 54 degrees), and when running F.E.A.R. the CPU is getting so hot that it causes my PC to restart so that it doesn't fry!

I obviously need a better CPU cooler, but my case only has 140mm at most to fit a cooler in (case has 4 side fans), so that rules out coolers like the Tuniq Tower 120.

Can someone please recommend a decent cooler so that I can get my temp down?

Kari

Splendid
try reseating the stock heatsink first, it sounds like there isn't proper connection. Remember to clean the old thermal paste from the heatsink and the proc and apply some new

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, I third the suggestion. The 4-pin mechanism is notoriously easy to not-quite-completely install. It's easiest to properly install it with the MB outside the case, so you can easily verify that all 4 pins are all the way through, and support the MB from behind as you push the pins down.

kempie

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I spent around 30 minutes (if not longer) trying to put the stock heatsink in place when I was building it - I thought it was in properly, but obviously not. However, I don't think I can get it in any better - the locking mechanism is rubbish.

I plan to o/c once my CPU temp is more under control anyway, so still need to buy a new CPU cooler anyway - might as well do that now.

tatoo_cw

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
I've got a dual core E6600 (not o/c as yet), but it runs very hot with the standard Intel CPU cooler (idles at about 54 degrees), and when running F.E.A.R. the CPU is getting so hot that it causes my PC to restart so that it doesn't fry!

I obviously need a better CPU cooler, but my case only has 140mm at most to fit a cooler in (case has 4 side fans), so that rules out coolers like the Tuniq Tower 120.

Can someone please recommend a decent cooler so that I can get my temp down?

I had almost the same situation with my E6300. I would idle at about 54-55C and would shut down at 65C at stock speeds. I now use the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cooler, about $30 here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134). The nice thing about this cooler is you don't have to take out your MB to attach brackets, etc... My temps now are 35C at idle and touch 55C at full load (8+ hours running Orthos) and I'm overclocked to 3.01GHz from 1.86GHz! The cooler is big, but not enormous. I believe the site above shows the size specs.

Another thing that really helps out is to make sure your wiring inside the case is clean and out of the way of the air flow. My case temps dropped about 5C after cleaning up the wiring which helps to keep the CPU cool.

Make sure you use some good thermal paste. I recommend artic silver ceramique.

Mondoman

Splendid
I spent around 30 minutes (if not longer) trying to put the stock heatsink in place when I was building it ... I don't think I can get it in any better -...
Assuming you had the MB out of the case during the above, be sure to buy a cooler with a different mechanism. Many (including the Freezer 7 Pro) use the Intel 4-pin mechanism and are no easier to install than the OEM Intel cooler.
If you didn't have the MB out of the case when installing, that's the way to successfully install these 4-pin coolers.

Mondoman

Splendid
... freezer 7 ...snaps in with the 4 posts just like the stock cooler so you dont have to take out your mobo. ...
In fact, for proper complete installation of all 4 pins, just as with the stock cooler it's best to install it with the MB out of the case, so you can support the MB back as you are pushing in the pins.

I now use the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cooler,... The nice thing about this cooler is you don't have to take out your MB to attach brackets, etc...
As noted above, you really need to remove the MB to make sure it's properly installed, just as for the stock cooler.

kempie

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Agreed. cleaning and properly re-installing the stock heatsink will bring your temps down significantly

I've taken the mobo out of the case and tried to re-seat the heatsink. I can only get two pins fully locked though - if I then manage to lock one of the other pins, one of the ones that was locked becomes unlocked (despite me holding it down) - this is so darn frustrating!

Does anyone know of a CPU cooler that has a different mounting mechanism (e.g. brackets), that is less than 14cm tall?

Mondoman

Splendid
...if I then manage to lock one of the other pins, one of the ones that was locked becomes unlocked (despite me holding it down) - ...
The pins have a quick-release mechanism, as indicated by the arrows on top. To *install* the hs, you need to make sure all pins are turned as far as they will go in the direction *opposite* the arrows.

kempie

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
...if I then manage to lock one of the other pins, one of the ones that was locked becomes unlocked (despite me holding it down) - ...
The pins have a quick-release mechanism, as indicated by the arrows on top. To *install* the hs, you need to make sure all pins are turned as far as they will go in the direction *opposite* the arrows.

Thanks Mondoman - I reinstalled the stock h/s, installing diagonally opposite pins and locking them into place, i.e.

1 2

3 4

Install pins 1 & 4, then 2 & 3, although I only managed to get 3 pins all the way in and the last about 3/4 of the way in, my CPU now idles at 29 degrees - that's a drop of over 20!!! :D

Methinks that such helpful information may have been useful in the instructions, which didn't mention locking the pins into place? :x

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, you can now appreciate why so many are having trouble with this mechanism! I think Intel has a downloadable video somewhere that demonstrates the installation procedure.
OTOH, aftermarket cooling manufacturers are probably laughing all the way to the bank!