Skip ICW domain-wide using group policy

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ultimately, I want to prevent the Internet Connection Wizard from being
invoked on all Windows 2000 computers in our domain. I found a JS tip that
suggests accomplishing this on a single computer by using the following steps:

1. You can modify the default profile for new users by loading the hive at
%SYSTEMROOT%/Profiles/Default User/User.dat. Call it AAAA.
2. Navigate to: Software\Microsoft
3. Add Key name Internet Connection Wizard with a blank Class.
4. Select the Internet Connection Wizard key and Add Value name Completed
and set this type REG_DWORD data value to a 1 (true). The default is 0,
(false).
5. Select AAAA and unload hive.

This works on a computer-by-computer basis. However, I was hoping there'd be
a way to deploy this edit using group policy.

This setting is per-user, not per-computer. So, to deploy the change with a
GPO, either create a reg file to hit the appropriate reg value (and run it
using regedit /s), or use VBScript to modify the registry.

Run this as part of a user-login script applied to a GPO containing your
users.

Regards

Oli

> Ultimately, I want to prevent the Internet Connection Wizard from being
> invoked on all Windows 2000 computers in our domain. I found a JS tip that
> suggests accomplishing this on a single computer by using the following
> steps:
>
> 1. You can modify the default profile for new users by loading the hive at
> %SYSTEMROOT%/Profiles/Default User/User.dat. Call it AAAA.
> 2. Navigate to: Software\Microsoft
> 3. Add Key name Internet Connection Wizard with a blank Class.
> 4. Select the Internet Connection Wizard key and Add Value name Completed
> and set this type REG_DWORD data value to a 1 (true). The default is 0,
> (false).
> 5. Select AAAA and unload hive.
>
> This works on a computer-by-computer basis. However, I was hoping there'd
> be
> a way to deploy this edit using group policy.

TRENDING THREADS