Skip ICW domain-wide using group policy

Ultimately, I want to prevent the Internet Connection Wizard from being
invoked on all Windows 2000 computers in our domain. I found a JS tip that
suggests accomplishing this on a single computer by using the following steps:

1. You can modify the default profile for new users by loading the hive at
%SYSTEMROOT%/Profiles/Default User/User.dat. Call it AAAA.
2. Navigate to: Software\Microsoft
3. Add Key name Internet Connection Wizard with a blank Class.
4. Select the Internet Connection Wizard key and Add Value name Completed
and set this type REG_DWORD data value to a 1 (true). The default is 0,
(false).
5. Select AAAA and unload hive.

This works on a computer-by-computer basis. However, I was hoping there'd be
a way to deploy this edit using group policy.
1 answer Last reply
More about skip domain wide group policy

    This setting is per-user, not per-computer. So, to deploy the change with a
    GPO, either create a reg file to hit the appropriate reg value (and run it
    using regedit /s), or use VBScript to modify the registry.

    Run this as part of a user-login script applied to a GPO containing your
    users.

    Regards

    Oli

    > Ultimately, I want to prevent the Internet Connection Wizard from being
    > invoked on all Windows 2000 computers in our domain. I found a JS tip that
    > suggests accomplishing this on a single computer by using the following
    > steps:
    >
    > 1. You can modify the default profile for new users by loading the hive at
    > %SYSTEMROOT%/Profiles/Default User/User.dat. Call it AAAA.
    > 2. Navigate to: Software\Microsoft
    > 3. Add Key name Internet Connection Wizard with a blank Class.
    > 4. Select the Internet Connection Wizard key and Add Value name Completed
    > and set this type REG_DWORD data value to a 1 (true). The default is 0,
    > (false).
    > 5. Select AAAA and unload hive.
    >
    > This works on a computer-by-computer basis. However, I was hoping there'd
    > be
    > a way to deploy this edit using group policy.

Policy Domain Internet Connection Windows