Controlling a Desktop via GPO

Hello:

I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people logging
into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs they
should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.

Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific desktop
to include the program menu? Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff
4 answers Last reply
More about controlling desktop

    I believe you can configure start menu redirection based on group
    membership, so that users belonging to a particular group would
    receive a different set of start menu folder than other ones.

    Bye Bar

    "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message news:<#B2oZqEtEHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people logging
    > into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
    > customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs they
    > should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
    > can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific desktop
    > to include the program menu? Thanks.
    >
    > Harrison Midkiff

    Hi Harrison,

    Thanks for posting!

    Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to address
    your issue here.

    A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile that
    contains what ever you pre-defined.

    142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682

    If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.

    Hope it helps!

    Have a nice day!

    Best Regards,

    Jeff Qiu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    --------------------
    >From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
    >Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
    >Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
    >microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    >
    >Hello:
    >
    >I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people
    logging
    >into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
    >customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs
    they
    >should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
    >can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.
    >
    >Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific
    desktop
    >to include the program menu? Thanks.
    >
    >Harrison Midkiff

    Jeff:

    Thank for your reply.

    I while ago I attended a tech net briefing where they went over this.
    Basically all I want to do it create 2 different users profiles. When users
    who are assigned to profile 1 log onto the server and they click
    Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the corporate accounting
    application. When users who are assigned to profile 2 log onto the server
    and they click Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the
    corporate contact management application. I am pretty sure this can be done
    by creating 2 GPO's and assigning permissions to them. If I go the route
    your suggesting I think I would have to do a lot of work.

    Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

    Harrison Midkiff

    ""Jeff Qiu [MSFT]"" <jefffqiu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Harrison,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to address
    > your issue here.
    >
    > A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile
    > that
    > contains what ever you pre-defined.
    >
    > 142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682
    >
    > If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Hope it helps!
    >
    > Have a nice day!
    >
    > Best Regards,
    >
    > Jeff Qiu
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA

    > rights.
    >

    > --------------------
    >>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
    >>Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
    >>Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
    >>microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    >>
    >>Hello:
    >>
    >>I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people
    > logging
    >>into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
    >>customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs
    > they
    >>should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
    >>can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the
    >>GPO.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific
    > desktop
    >>to include the program menu? Thanks.
    >>
    >>Harrison Midkiff

    Hi Harrison,

    I am afraid there is no such GPO to assign profile.

    As the load of the profile and the load of the GPO are at the same level.

    You may enable a userenv log to see how system handle them 1 by 1.

    The GPO cannot control or change the user profile during the logon process.

    I also noticed that you have created a new post about it.

    Glenn gives a possible workaround for it.

    You may give it a try if you still think using roaming profile is too
    complex for you.

    If anything else is unclear, please feel free to post back.

    Have a great day!

> [...]

    >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    >> rights.
    >>

    >> --------------------
    >>>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
    >>>Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
    >>>Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
    >>>microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    >>>
    >>>Hello:
    >>>
    >>>I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people
    >> logging
    >>>into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
    >>>customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs
    >> they
    >>>should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
    >>>can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the
    >>>GPO.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific

Desktops Microsoft Terminal Server Windows