Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Controlling a Desktop via GPO

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 1:09:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hello:

I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people logging
into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs they
should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.

Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific desktop
to include the program menu? Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 4:52:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

I believe you can configure start menu redirection based on group
membership, so that users belonging to a particular group would
receive a different set of start menu folder than other ones.

Bye Bar


"Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message news:<#B2oZqEtEHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Hello:
>
> I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people logging
> into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
> customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs they
> should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
> can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.
>
> Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific desktop
> to include the program menu? Thanks.
>
> Harrison Midkiff
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:40:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for posting!

Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to address
your issue here.

A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile that
contains what ever you pre-defined.

142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682

If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.

Hope it helps!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

=====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=====================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


--------------------
>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
>Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
>Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
>microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
>
>Hello:
>
>I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people
logging
>into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
>customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs
they
>should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
>can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the GPO.
>
>Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific
desktop
>to include the program menu? Thanks.
>
>Harrison Midkiff
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 1:40:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Jeff:

Thank for your reply.

I while ago I attended a tech net briefing where they went over this.
Basically all I want to do it create 2 different users profiles. When users
who are assigned to profile 1 log onto the server and they click
Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the corporate accounting
application. When users who are assigned to profile 2 log onto the server
and they click Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the
corporate contact management application. I am pretty sure this can be done
by creating 2 GPO's and assigning permissions to them. If I go the route
your suggesting I think I would have to do a lot of work.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Harrison Midkiff




""Jeff Qiu [MSFT]"" <jefffqiu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:rojhSaPtEHA.1684@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl...
> Hi Harrison,
>
> Thanks for posting!
>
> Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to address
> your issue here.
>
> A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile
> that
> contains what ever you pre-defined.
>
> 142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682
>
> If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.
>
> Hope it helps!
>
> Have a nice day!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Jeff Qiu
> Microsoft Online Partner Support
> MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA
> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>
> =====================================================
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
> =====================================================
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
>
> --------------------
>>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
>>Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
>>Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
>>microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
>>
>>Hello:
>>
>>I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people
> logging
>>into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
>>customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs
> they
>>should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
>>can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the
>>GPO.
>>
>>Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific
> desktop
>>to include the program menu? Thanks.
>>
>>Harrison Midkiff
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
October 19, 2004 1:24:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

Hi Harrison,

I am afraid there is no such GPO to assign profile.

As the load of the profile and the load of the GPO are at the same level.

You may enable a userenv log to see how system handle them 1 by 1.

The GPO cannot control or change the user profile during the logon process.

I also noticed that you have created a new post about it.

Glenn gives a possible workaround for it.

You may give it a try if you still think using roaming profile is too
complex for you.

If anything else is unclear, please feel free to post back.

Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA
Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

=====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=====================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


--------------------
>Reply-To: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
>Subject: Re: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
>Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 08:44:21 -0400
>microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
>
>Jeff:
>
>Thank for your reply.
>
>I while ago I attended a tech net briefing where they went over this.
>Basically all I want to do it create 2 different users profiles. When
users
>who are assigned to profile 1 log onto the server and they click
>Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the corporate
accounting
>application. When users who are assigned to profile 2 log onto the server
>and they click Start/Programs they would only see Office 2003 and the
>corporate contact management application. I am pretty sure this can be
done
>by creating 2 GPO's and assigning permissions to them. If I go the route
>your suggesting I think I would have to do a lot of work.
>
>Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Harrison Midkiff
>
>
>
>
>""Jeff Qiu [MSFT]"" <jefffqiu@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>news:rojhSaPtEHA.1684@cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Harrison,
>>
>> Thanks for posting!
>>
>> Based on your description, I believe we may use roaming profile to
address
>> your issue here.
>>
>> A roaming profile will gain each user a certain central stored profile
>> that
>> contains what ever you pre-defined.
>>
>> 142682 How to Create and Copy Roaming User Profiles in Windows
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=142682
>>
>> If anything is unclear about it, please feel free to let me know.
>>
>> Hope it helps!
>>
>> Have a nice day!
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Jeff Qiu
>> Microsoft Online Partner Support
>> MCSE 2k/2k3, MCSA 2k/2k3, MCDBA
>> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
>>
>> =====================================================
>> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
>> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
>> =====================================================
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>>
>>
>> --------------------
>>>From: "Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com>
>>>Subject: Controlling a Desktop via GPO
>>>Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 09:09:52 -0400
>>>microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
>>>
>>>Hello:
>>>
>>>I have a terminal server that will have 2 different groups of people
>> logging
>>>into it. When each group of people log into it they should have a
>>>customized desktop based on there group membership. On Start/Programs
>> they
>>>should only have specific applications listed and nothing else. I know I
>>>can do with a GPO, but I am having a little difficulty configuring the
>>>GPO.
>>>
>>>Does anyone know how to configure a GPO to give the user a specific
>> desktop
>>>to include the program menu? Thanks.
>>>
>>>Harrison Midkiff
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>
!