Custom adm template does nothing

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hi,

I have created a new GPO adm template to modify the following registry setting
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Internet
Settings\DisableCachingOfSSLPages

Here's my template:

CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!RegistrySettings
POLICY !!EnableCaching
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Internet Settings"
EXPLAIN !!EnableCaching_Explain
VALUENAME "DisableCachingOfSSLPages"
VALUEON NUMERIC 0
VALUEOFF NUMERIC 1
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

[strings]
EnableCaching="Enable Caching of SSL Pages"
EnableCaching_Explain="Allows Caching of SSL pages"
RegistrySettings="Custom Settings"

The actual registry key changes the 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk'
setting in IE - Tools- Internet Options - Advanced. When I apply the
template however, it creates the key under
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Internet Settings
which makes no difference to anything at all!

I don't understand what is going on. You are supposed to put the settings
under 'Policies' in the registry, but they don't seem to make any difference.
I can make the registry value change by enabling/disabling the new GPO
setting, but it doesn't make any difference the the IE settting or the
original registry key, why not?

Am I missing something here??

Thanks

--
john

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Ah, solved it eventually.

Changed the keyname to:
KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
(I'm not bothered about it tattooing the registry in this case)

Then added it to my GPO in the Group Policy Management Console, making sure
to untick "only show policy settings that can be fully managed" in the
view-filtering options. This enabled me to actually see the setting so I
could set its value to enabled! It works now. Finally.

John