Need some opinions.

dirtymick

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Building a new system and this is what i'm gettin.

Intel C2D E6300
ASRock 775Dual-Vista
Spire DiamondCool extra quiet HeatPipe Copper fan
Okia 500W ATX Power Supply
Radeon x1900 gt with Accelero X2 cooler
And 1gig of Ram (400mhz DDR from my old cpu, didn't have the funds to update it yet)

Decent build?

dirtymick

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, the accelero cooler came with the GPU, so the card and the cooler only cost me 140 ish. The PSU came with the case, and i figured that it would get the job done till i save up more cash for that and some DDR2 ram. Thanks for the 2nd opinion akhilles!

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Do Not use that PSU!!!

Okia is a no name POS brand of PSU... the 12V rail has somewhere in the neighborhood of 10Amps. Google / Froogle that PSU and you will find prices for 500W+ for around $25... that should give you an indication alone what its worth.

You have good expensive components and the last place you want to skimp on is the Power supply.

120W over the 12V rail is way too low for your needs and that PSU will be lucky to last a month.

dirtymick

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah i only plan on having that PSU for around a month or 2 til i save up a little more money to get a better one. It is just coming with the case. And if it goes out before then, i have another PSU from my old comp that has lasted me for quite a few years, I'm fairly certain it could take over for a few more weeks.

PCAnalyst

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
Yeah i only plan on having that PSU for around a month or 2 til i save up a little more money to get a better one. It is just coming with the case. And if it goes out before then, i have another PSU from my old comp that has lasted me for quite a few years, I'm fairly certain it could take over for a few more weeks.

Well... what PSU is in the old Comp? Its possible that one is better. Just remember that all your big components will use the 12V rail of the PSU and that needs to have about double the amps that the Okia has.

dirtymick

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I'm at work right now, so all i can tell you is its a Powmax. I'm sure its a cheapo, cause my friend had my computer before and burnt up the old PSU, and bought me another one, so I'm sure its worthless. But I'm pretty sure it has more amps than the one thats coming with the case.