HELp : Format USB flash key ????

Dear all,

I am runing on wIndows 2000 professionnal SP4.
I am facing with a problem that I cannot solved since now..
If I insert a USB flash key, I am not able to format it unless I am
administrator.

I would like that my power user groups is able to format this USB flash.

I have check the security policy "Allowed to eject removable
NTFS media" and set security to Administrators and POwer user but even with
that policy I am not able to format unless I am Adminitrator

How can I do this?

regards
serge

Being that it's flash memory, wouldn't simply erasing the contents be the
same thing? You're not doing a wipe and overwrite (with random data) of the
flash memory when you do a format.

The users should be able to simply delete items on the drive they do not
want/need.

Ken

"serge calderara" <sergecalderara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C4915A67-C18A-438E-B09A-FA10BB0BC320@microsoft.com...
> Dear all,
>
> I am runing on wIndows 2000 professionnal SP4.
> I am facing with a problem that I cannot solved since now..
> If I insert a USB flash key, I am not able to format it unless I am
> administrator.
>
> I would like that my power user groups is able to format this USB flash.
>
> I have check the security policy "Allowed to eject removable
> NTFS media" and set security to Administrators and POwer user but even
> with
> that policy I am not able to format unless I am Adminitrator
>
> How can I do this?
>
> regards
> serge

Serge,

The other way to fix this problem, is to give your users the ability to
format removeable media. The way to do this is to go to the control panel.
Go to Administrative Tools, then open the local security policy, then go to
Local Policies, then security options, then open the option that reads
"Devices: Allowed to format and eject removeable media". Give everyone, or
whomever rights to it. And voila, you can format your flash drive.
Additionally, this solves this issue with some normal users not being able
to write to a cd, unless your an admin.

Hope this helps

Nick Dresang