Resource not allowed error accessing straming content

We have our high school students configured with group policy to enforce
desktop restrictions on WinXP. One of these restrictions is preventing them
from accessing streaming contect from a URL. Here is an example of a URL that
they are trying:

mms://gohs-web1/gohsmedia/racecar_300.wmv

If they launch Media Player they can go to File > Open URL and it works
correctly - the error only occurs when they try to view the content through
IE. The error message they receive is "Access to the resource has been
disallowed" (I'm paraphrasing a little). Does anyone know what Group Policy
setting might be causing this error?

I think it's because you implemented this policy.

User Config\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove Run menu
from Start Menu

"Allows you to remove the Run command from the Start menu, Internet
Explorer, and Task Manager. If you enable this setting, the following
changes occur: (1) The Run command is removed from the Start menu. (2) The
New Task (Run) command is removed from Task Manager. (3) The user will be
blocked from entering the following into the Internet Explorer Address Bar:
--- A UNC path: \\<server>\<share> ---Accessing local drives: e.g., C:
--- Accessing local folders: e.g., \temp> Also, users with extended
keyboards will no longer be able to display the Run dialog box by pressing
the Application key (the key with the Windows logo) + R. If you disable or
do not configure this setting, users will be able to access the Run command
in the Start menu and in Task Manager and use the Internet Explorer Address
Bar. Note:This setting affects the specified interface only. It does not
prevent users from using other methods to run programs. Note: It is a
requirement for third-party applications with Windows 2000 or later
certification to adhere to this setting."

You can also take a look at this KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q250915/

BR,
Denis

"Vince Butler" wrote:

> We have our high school students configured with group policy to enforce
> desktop restrictions on WinXP. One of these restrictions is preventing them
> from accessing streaming contect from a URL. Here is an example of a URL that
> they are trying:
>
> mms://gohs-web1/gohsmedia/racecar_300.wmv
>
> If they launch Media Player they can go to File > Open URL and it works
> correctly - the error only occurs when they try to view the content through
> IE. The error message they receive is "Access to the resource has been
> disallowed" (I'm paraphrasing a little). Does anyone know what Group Policy
> setting might be causing this error?

TRENDING THREADS