Sign in with
Your question

Can you recommend a Power Supply to me ?

Last response: in Components
January 22, 2007 3:58:49 PM

Ok .. here's a nice little listing for you. I currently have the following equipment/items and need a good recommendation.

1 x Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800
1 x ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
1 x Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5
2 x ATI X1950Pro's
2 x WD 150GB Raptors

All this is in a ThermalTake ARMOR Case (New model with the 250mm fan in the door)

The issue I am having is .. I currently have a Thermaltake toughpower W0103RU ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply in the system .. but I honestly don't think 600W is enough here.

I have a ZALMAN CNPS7700-Cu LED CPU Cooler (Excellent Product) .. however, I need to hard wire this directly to the power supply .. it seems the motherboard is not throwing enough juices to the cooler !!! Now thinking that maybe this was just the cooler, I tried this with 3 other CPU Coolers .. 1 other ZALMAN and 2 ThermalTakes .. all of them the same results.

So again, my question is, for what I have installed in my system .. should I have something MORE than 600W's .. and if so, what would be your BEST recommendation ?

Thanks

More about : recommend power supply

January 22, 2007 4:46:46 PM

Given the amount of hardware information provided, your Thermaltake 600wt psu should be more than enough power. If you intend to upgrade to a single DX10 card, it should still provide enough power, though if you have other unlisted hardware it might be close. Only if you went to an SLI setup with DX10 cards, would you need more power, and in that case, you would want something closer to 850wts.

As to your cpu cooler fan problem, the only things that come to mind offhand are either the motherboard is bad, not supplying power to the pins, or you are plugging it into the wrong pin set. Since you have tried four different coolers with the same result, this confirms that it isn't a cooler problem.
January 22, 2007 4:53:48 PM

In regards to the CPU Coolers, I thought that was the problem also .. the systemboard. However, what I failed to mention was that the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard is my second board .. the first board this system was running with (and had the same issues in regards to the CPU Coolers) was a GigaByte GA-965P-DQ6. The GigaByte board I returned to the Online Retailer as defective and replaced it with the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe.

Now what are the chances that 2 motherboards, different companies .. have the same problem ? :?
Related resources
January 22, 2007 5:05:04 PM

Quote:

Now what are the chances that 2 motherboards, different companies .. have the same problem ? :?

While that can happen, its a pretty low chance. A more likely problem is that you're wiring something wrong, perhaps not plugging a source power wire into the motherboard and so leaving it partially dead. I did that once myself about a year ago when I got a new motherboard. It was an open box type with no instruction book, so I didn't realize that I wasn't filling a power source plug. I finally got a wiring diagram and saw my error. Then I felt kind of stupid, but such things happen
January 22, 2007 5:45:40 PM

You can try turning off the thermal control of the fan in the Bios. That way it should spin continously once it has power.
!