joris789

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
hi,

a few months ago i've build a new pc
from the beginning there was a compatibility issue between my mobo and psu: p5w dh deluxe - antec neohe 430

- windows installation didn't work (stuck at 34min) unless i removed the firewire drivers from the inf-folder while installing windows before it reached 34min (disabling in bios didn't work!)
- so when windows was finally installed there was still a firewire problem: device manager detected a lot of firewire (30 or so) controllers (some day it was just one, the other day again a lot); again disabling firewire in bios doesn't help
- sometimes very slow post/startup/shutdown (not sure it's the psu causing this)

nevertheless i was very happy with the ultra silent fan inside the psu, so i decided to give it a try since i wasn't using firewire devices

but now i've come to the point that i just can't stand the incompatibility issues any more

suggestions anyone?
i've tried all bios versions ranging from 701-1707

so i'm thinking of buying the seasonic s12 430W
but this time i want to be 100% sure it's gonna work as it should
anyone tried the combination p5w dh with tis psu?

thx

sailer

Splendid
Can't give any psu recommendations unless we know what and how much hardware you have. List your total system specs please.

As to the firewire problem, you may have a faulty firewire device that's causing the problem. If its built into the motherboard, then the motherboard is faulty. If its an added card, the card may have a problem. Also check that you have the latest drivers, in case there was a problem that has been patched.

S to the fan, I haven't heard of any fans that connect through firewire. Guess that's possible, but I just haven't heard of it. Or am I misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

joris789

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
no the fan has nothing to do with the firewire (on board)
i'm just saying i like the psu because it's so goddamn quiet :D

the mobo isn't causing the firewire problem (was my first thought too)
i already changed the mobo but same problem
after some research i found out it's a typical asus-antec incompatibility issue

setup:
- asus p5w dh deluxe
- e6300
- 2G corsair pc-5400
- x1600xt (changing soon to something more decent)

430W is more than enough, but i want to know if the seasonic s12 will work PERFECT with my mobo...

sailer

Splendid
Ok, now I'm cleared up about the fan being on the psu.

Th Seasonic S12-430 is a bit low in the amps across the 12v rails, especially if you're going to upgrade the video card. Its rails only put out 12V1@14A and 12V2@15A. Going to the S12-500 would give rails of 12V1@17A and 12V2@16A, which is better. Best in my opinion is the S12-SS500HM which gives 18A across all the 12V rails.

Check out how many amps the new video card requires before selecting the psu. I know that spending the extra money on the better psus can be a pain, but I think its better to buy the more powerful psu than to spend hours of frustration later.