Voom HD

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
May 23, 2004 2:35:19 PM

I just received an advertisement from Voom (I don't subscribe), which states
that they broadcast
1080i for Voom Originals.
So, what are Voom originals? Is everything else 480P?

I saw a Demo at Sears, and Voom looked very poor for TV, never mind HD.
Voom advertising appears to be pure hype.
Too bad, they could easily steal a lot of business from the other guys if
they lived up to their claims.

More about : voom

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 3:25:56 PM

They do live up to their claims----

I have VOOM's service, and their customer service, PG, HD quality is second
to none---they are only missing a couple of SD programming (Food Net, USA,
HGTV, a couple of others), and will have tremendous transponder capability
when they acquire their second satellite later in the year and go to MPEG-4
compression. DVR will be available at that time also. Their biggest
shortfall at present is not having a channel scan functionality to their STB
or OTA signals, but that should be available with their next software update
to the box----

"JAS" <spin500@cox.net> wrote in message
> I just received an advertisement from Voom (I don't subscribe), which
states
> that they broadcast
> 1080i for Voom Originals.
> So, what are Voom originals? Is everything else 480P?
>
> I saw a Demo at Sears, and Voom looked very poor for TV, never mind HD.
> Voom advertising appears to be pure hype.
> Too bad, they could easily steal a lot of business from the other guys if
> they lived up to their claims.

Anonymous
May 23, 2004 7:21:49 PM

"FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> They do live up to their claims----
>
> I have VOOM's service, and their customer service, PG, HD quality is
second
> to none---they are only missing a couple of SD programming (Food Net, USA,
> HGTV, a couple of others), and will have tremendous transponder capability
> when they acquire their second satellite later in the year and go to
MPEG-4
> compression. DVR will be available at that time also. Their biggest
> shortfall at present is not having a channel scan functionality to their
STB
> or OTA signals, but that should be available with their next software
update
> to the box----

It is those channels that are missing (Food TV, HGTV, History) that kill it
for me. The wife HAS to have her FoodNetwork, I HAVE to have History
Channel. No VOOM for me.

May 23, 2004 7:55:05 PM

JAS wrote:

> I saw a Demo at Sears, and Voom looked very poor for TV, never mind HD.

Compared to what? Are you saying Their HD stuff looks bad too?

Regular TV is just that, and looks bad on everything compared to HD.

Clay
Anonymous
May 23, 2004 11:50:20 PM

Wait a second (looking at brochure). The History channel is included but
the other two are not.

> It is those channels that are missing (Food TV, HGTV, History) that kill
it
> for me. The wife HAS to have her FoodNetwork, I HAVE to have History
> Channel. No VOOM for me.

May 24, 2004 12:06:15 AM

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message

> "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > They do live up to their claims----
> >
> > I have VOOM's service, and their customer service, PG, HD quality is
> second
> > to none---they are only missing a couple of SD programming (Food Net,
USA,
> > HGTV, a couple of others), and will have tremendous transponder
capability
> > when they acquire their second satellite later in the year and go to
> MPEG-4
> > compression. DVR will be available at that time also. Their biggest
> > shortfall at present is not having a channel scan functionality to their
> STB
> > or OTA signals, but that should be available with their next software
> update
> > to the box----
> >

> It is those channels that are missing (Food TV, HGTV, History) that kill
it
> for me. The wife HAS to have her FoodNetwork, I HAVE to have History
> Channel. No VOOM for me.

There is another option... two satellite dishes...

Deborah Proctor
maraskywalker@earthlink.net
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 12:06:16 AM

Deborah Proctor wrote:

----"There is another option... two satellite dishes..."----

Reply:

That is not always possible with some people.Some people are more
sensitive to the aesthetics of even one satellite dish let alone
multiples.I have 3 dishes (one C/Ku system on a pole in my yard and 2
others on the roof) and my home is starting to look like a teleport.It
is not very becoming as far as loks,but I put up with it.
May 24, 2004 3:16:28 AM

And a second job to support that second dish. How nice for people for whom
money is no object.

"Deborah Proctor" <maraskywalker@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> "Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > They do live up to their claims----
> > >
> > > I have VOOM's service, and their customer service, PG, HD quality is
> > second
> > > to none---they are only missing a couple of SD programming (Food Net,
> USA,
> > > HGTV, a couple of others), and will have tremendous transponder
> capability
> > > when they acquire their second satellite later in the year and go to
> > MPEG-4
> > > compression. DVR will be available at that time also. Their biggest
> > > shortfall at present is not having a channel scan functionality to
their
> > STB
> > > or OTA signals, but that should be available with their next software
> > update
> > > to the box----
> > >

> > It is those channels that are missing (Food TV, HGTV, History) that kill
> it
> > for me. The wife HAS to have her FoodNetwork, I HAVE to have History
> > Channel. No VOOM for me.
>
> There is another option... two satellite dishes...
>
> Deborah Proctor
> maraskywalker@earthlink.net

May 24, 2004 3:17:25 AM

What I like is their disclaimer that a number of services are only temporary
and may disappear when they lose their transponder lease.

"FerdyPooh" <fredjr1@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> They do live up to their claims----
>
> I have VOOM's service, and their customer service, PG, HD quality is
second
> to none---they are only missing a couple of SD programming (Food Net, USA,
> HGTV, a couple of others), and will have tremendous transponder capability
> when they acquire their second satellite later in the year and go to
MPEG-4
> compression. DVR will be available at that time also. Their biggest
> shortfall at present is not having a channel scan functionality to their
STB
> or OTA signals, but that should be available with their next software
update
> to the box----
>

> "JAS" <spin500@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I just received an advertisement from Voom (I don't subscribe), which
> states
> > that they broadcast
> > 1080i for Voom Originals.
> > So, what are Voom originals? Is everything else 480P?
> >
> > I saw a Demo at Sears, and Voom looked very poor for TV, never mind HD.
> > Voom advertising appears to be pure hype.
> > Too bad, they could easily steal a lot of business from the other guys
if
> > they lived up to their claims.

May 24, 2004 6:03:02 AM

"SAC 441" <SAC441@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Deborah Proctor wrote:
>
> ----"There is another option... two satellite dishes..."----
>
> Reply:
>
> That is not always possible with some people.Some people are more
> sensitive to the aesthetics of even one satellite dish let alone
> multiples.I have 3 dishes (one C/Ku system on a pole in my yard and 2
> others on the roof) and my home is starting to look like a teleport.It
> is not very becoming as far as loks,but I put up with it.

I've got three also. I think it looks kinda cool. Of course mine aren't
spread out. They are all in one location on the roof/chimney. :)

Duke
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 9:41:00 AM

They have aqcuired a new sattelite with 13 more transponders and options to
lease another 17 or so. So they now have the capacity if the borrowed ones are
taken away. Dishnetwork did the same for 3 years. After MPEG4 and with the new
transponders VOOM should be able to handle 300SD channesl and 120HD's. VOOM is
awesome, although I wish they would add the Science Channel, National
Geogrpahic and Discovery Times. They will be adding G4TechTV and SciFI soon.

Everything is in 1080i except for ESPN which only broadcasts in 720p and the 10
Cinema channels which will be converting to 1080i soon.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 12:39:27 PM

I am a new Voomer and so far everything is good ! The HD channels are
all nice.

--
johnfaas
johnfaas's Profile: 5191

"Curmudgeon" <gary@nospam.com> wrote in message
> And a second job to support that second dish. How nice for people for
whom
> money is no object.

The only subscription of programming I pay for in relation to DirecTV is NFL
Sunday Ticket... so what's the problem?

!