Changing Domain Security Policy caused Frequent Domain Acc..

Hi, recently we have increased the Account Lockout Threshold from 3 to 6.
Since then, quite a number of Windows 98 users and Windows XP Pro users
mentioned that their Domain Account keep locking out. There is no trend when
the account gets lockout in this case..

I we do have patches for Windows 98 on KB272594 and KB278558. But it does
not help much as Win98 users still encounter this problem. As for Win XP
users, we do not have any solution yet..

Is there anyway to solve this issue?

Thanks.

This absolutely makes no sense.
You used to give them 3 bad password attempts and now you are giving them 6
bad password attempts before getting locked out.
Now users are complaining that they are getting locked out.
Something else must have been changed.

--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security

"Philip Wang" <PhilipWang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, recently we have increased the Account Lockout Threshold from 3 to 6.
> Since then, quite a number of Windows 98 users and Windows XP Pro users
> mentioned that their Domain Account keep locking out. There is no trend
when
> the account gets lockout in this case..
>
> I we do have patches for Windows 98 on KB272594 and KB278558. But it does
> not help much as Win98 users still encounter this problem. As for Win XP
> users, we do not have any solution yet..
>
> Is there anyway to solve this issue?
>
> Thanks.

Hi, I have seen through some of the Knowledge Base and it seems like there is
some possibilities of account lockout with Win XP, and the solution is to
install the latest service pack. I do not intend to install Service Pack 2 as
my company is not ready to roll it out yet.

Is there any other way?

Thanks.