GPOs in mixed environment?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I thought I read something that you can use a Windows 2000 DC to host
WindowsXP GPOs (in a separate OU).
Is this true?
Can you do the same for Windows 2003 Servers GPOs on a Win2k DC?

If so, where do I pick up the ADM files for these?

Thanks!!!

W2K can host GPO settings for Win XP and W2K3
Thes settings are mostly stored in the ADMs that come with each OS, and are
typically updated in SP releases (e.g. XP2 added a bunch).
Install the adminpak.msi on your XP workstation.
Better yet, install it on your W2K3 member server.
Then systematically edit all your GPOs.....without making any changes.
The act of opening them for editing will copy the ADM to sysvol for that GPO

After you do this, those settings will be available to manage from W2K.

There is no requirement to isolate OS platforms to specific OUs
If a platform (e.g. W2Kpro) cannot understand a setting in a GPO it must
apply, then it simply ignores the setting and applies what it can.
--
Glenn L
CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security

"John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
> I thought I read something that you can use a Windows 2000 DC to host
> WindowsXP GPOs (in a separate OU).
> Is this true?
> Can you do the same for Windows 2003 Servers GPOs on a Win2k DC?
>
> If so, where do I pick up the ADM files for these?
>
> Thanks!!!

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

If I use the ADM files from WinXP SP2, they are applicable to Win2k3 Srv as
well?
Thanks again.

"Glenn L" <the.only@gmail.com> wrote in message
> W2K can host GPO settings for Win XP and W2K3
> Thes settings are mostly stored in the ADMs that come with each OS, and
are
> typically updated in SP releases (e.g. XP2 added a bunch).
> Install the adminpak.msi on your XP workstation.
> Better yet, install it on your W2K3 member server.
> Then systematically edit all your GPOs.....without making any changes.
> The act of opening them for editing will copy the ADM to sysvol for that
GPO

> After you do this, those settings will be available to manage from W2K.
>
> There is no requirement to isolate OS platforms to specific OUs
> If a platform (e.g. W2Kpro) cannot understand a setting in a GPO it must
> apply, then it simply ignores the setting and applies what it can.
> --
> Glenn L
> CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security
>

> "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
> > I thought I read something that you can use a Windows 2000 DC to host
> > WindowsXP GPOs (in a separate OU).
> > Is this true?
> > Can you do the same for Windows 2003 Servers GPOs on a Win2k DC?
> >
> > If so, where do I pick up the ADM files for these?
> >
> > Thanks!!!

Each GPO setting specifies the minimum OS support required right in the GPO
editor.
Typically if it is supported on XP, it is also supported on W2K3.
I have yet to see any policy that says XP only. This is not to say there
aren't any.
Perhaps some of the new wireless policies are XP only. Who is going to
install a wireless NIC on a W2K3 server?

--

> If I use the ADM files from WinXP SP2, they are applicable to Win2k3 Srv
as
> well?
> Thanks again.
>

> "Glenn L" <the.only@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > W2K can host GPO settings for Win XP and W2K3
> > Thes settings are mostly stored in the ADMs that come with each OS, and
> are
> > typically updated in SP releases (e.g. XP2 added a bunch).
> > Install the adminpak.msi on your XP workstation.
> > Better yet, install it on your W2K3 member server.
> > Then systematically edit all your GPOs.....without making any changes.
> > The act of opening them for editing will copy the ADM to sysvol for that
> GPO
> >
> > After you do this, those settings will be available to manage from W2K.
> >
> > There is no requirement to isolate OS platforms to specific OUs
> > If a platform (e.g. W2Kpro) cannot understand a setting in a GPO it must
> > apply, then it simply ignores the setting and applies what it can.
> > --
> > Glenn L
> > CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security
> >

> > "John" <noSPAM@please.net> wrote in message
> > > I thought I read something that you can use a Windows 2000 DC to host
> > > WindowsXP GPOs (in a separate OU).
> > > Is this true?
> > > Can you do the same for Windows 2003 Servers GPOs on a Win2k DC?
> > >
> > > If so, where do I pick up the ADM files for these?
> > >
> > > Thanks!!!

On 10/19/04 at the late time of 11:33pm, Glenn L rhetorically questioned:
> Who is going to
> install a wireless NIC on a W2K3 server?

I dunno... but I'm sure we'll run across some ya-hoo who tries it and
wonders why it's not working as well as s/he thought it would.

::plink plink::

Ken