Password Policy

Server 2000
I removed a password policy that was set at an OU level (I know..bad) and
added a new one at the domain level. I have it only applying to me and not
all authenticated users.. is that OK to do for testing? After forcing the
refresh, the policy seems to have replicated but when I run net user for
myself on the domain, the 'Password expires' and 'Password changeable' dates
aren't what I expect. It's almost as if it's holding on to the dates from
the previous policy (or something). I think the old policy on the OU is gone
(I checked out the policies in sysvol, the registry, used gpotool ..). So,
is it not working correctly because of how I'm applying it to only myself,
or the old policy is lingering, or what??
Thank you for your help!
Cheryl

Cherly,

This is an extremely common question. It is asked a ton of times in this ng
as well as in the AD ng.

The Password Policy is set at the Domain level and applies to all users.
Period! This is no way - short of creating another domain and moving those
users to that newly created domain - of having multiple password policies.

Any password policy set at the OU level will affect only those local user
accounts logging on ( naturally, locally ) to any computer account objects
that reside directly in that OU. In other words, you can do this but it has
absolutely no effect whatsoever on your domain user account objects.

You should create the Password Policy in the Default Domain Security policy.
I would be more interested in what shows up when you do a 'net accounts' at
the command prompt.

Again, this password policy will affect everyone in the domain. The one
thing that you can kinda control is how long a password is valid. Usually
you would set up the Password Policy to use passwords that contain at least
six characters ( or whatever ) and must meet the password complexity
requirements and have a password maximum age of 30 days ( or whatever ) and
a minimum age of seven days ( or whatever ) and the policy remembers 10
passwords ( or whatever ). So, the passwords would be changed every 30 days
and you would have to go through 10 passwords before you could use the 'old'
one again. Well, if you open up the Active Directory Users and Computer MMC
and open up a user account object you can click on the 'Password never
Expires' check box. This creates a situation where - for that specific
user account object - the 'age' parts of the Password Policy do not apply.
He/she still needs to have a password with at least six characters and must
meet the password complexity requirements. That will always apply.
However, the 30 days and seven days and 10 passwords remembered do not
apply.

But, doing this - even for one user and especially for any 'Administrator'
type account - compromises the entire security of your network ( well, this
layer anyway! ). I would rethink this.

HTH,

Cary

"Cheryl Mutschler" <cheryl.mutschler@bch-insurance.com> wrote in message
> Server 2000
> I removed a password policy that was set at an OU level (I know..bad) and
> added a new one at the domain level. I have it only applying to me and not
> all authenticated users.. is that OK to do for testing? After forcing the
> refresh, the policy seems to have replicated but when I run net user for
> myself on the domain, the 'Password expires' and 'Password changeable'
dates
> aren't what I expect. It's almost as if it's holding on to the dates from
> the previous policy (or something). I think the old policy on the OU is
gone
> (I checked out the policies in sysvol, the registry, used gpotool ..). So,
> is it not working correctly because of how I'm applying it to only myself,
> or the old policy is lingering, or what??
> Thank you for your help!
> Cheryl

Sorry,

Spelled your name incorrectly!

Cary

"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]
> > added a new one at the domain level. I have it only applying to me and
not
> > all authenticated users.. is that OK to do for testing? After forcing
the
> > refresh, the policy seems to have replicated but when I run net user for
> > myself on the domain, the 'Password expires' and 'Password changeable'
> dates
> > aren't what I expect. It's almost as if it's holding on to the dates
from
> > the previous policy (or something). I think the old policy on the OU is
> gone
> > (I checked out the policies in sysvol, the registry, used gpotool ..).
So,
> > is it not working correctly because of how I'm applying it to only
myself,
> > or the old policy is lingering, or what??

No biggie with the name..

With a couple of changes, it's working as it should.

Thank you very much!

> [...]
> not
> > > all authenticated users.. is that OK to do for testing? After forcing
> the
> > > refresh, the policy seems to have replicated but when I run net user
for
> > > myself on the domain, the 'Password expires' and 'Password changeable'
> > dates
> > > aren't what I expect. It's almost as if it's holding on to the dates
> from
> > > the previous policy (or something). I think the old policy on the OU
is
> > gone
> > > (I checked out the policies in sysvol, the registry, used gpotool ..).
> So,
> > > is it not working correctly because of how I'm applying it to only
> myself,
> > > or the old policy is lingering, or what??

Cheryl,

You are welcome. If you do not mind, what were the changes that you made
( for the benefit of everyone reading this post )?

> [...]
> > > one again. Well, if you open up the Active Directory Users and
Computer
> > MMC
> > > and open up a user account object you can click on the 'Password never
> > > Expires' check box. This creates a situation where - for that
specific
> > > user account object - the 'age' parts of the Password Policy do not
> apply.
> > > He/she still needs to have a password with at least six characters and
> > must
> > > meet the password complexity requirements. That will always apply.
> > > However, the 30 days and seven days and 10 passwords remembered do not
> > > apply.
> > >
> > > But, doing this - even for one user and especially for any
> 'Administrator'
> > > type account - compromises the entire security of your network ( well,

I'm wondering how the password policy is affected by a domain being a child
domain. For instance, you have

corporation.local
/ \
/ \
thisdomain thatdomain

Could "thisdomain(.corporation.local)" have a separate password policy from
"thatdomain(.corporation.local)" which are both child domains of
corporation.local? I left off the fqdn for the children for space
constraints ;)

Ken

> [...]
>> I removed a password policy that was set at an OU level (I know..bad) and
>> added a new one at the domain level. I have it only applying to me and
>> not
>> all authenticated users.. is that OK to do for testing? After forcing the
>> refresh, the policy seems to have replicated but when I run net user for
>> myself on the domain, the 'Password expires' and 'Password changeable'
> dates
>> aren't what I expect. It's almost as if it's holding on to the dates from
>> the previous policy (or something). I think the old policy on the OU is
> gone
>> (I checked out the policies in sysvol, the registry, used gpotool ..).
>> So,
>> is it not working correctly because of how I'm applying it to only
>> myself,
>> or the old policy is lingering, or what??

Ken,

As I stated, the Password Policy is set at the Domain level.

HTH,

Cary

"Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> not
> >> all authenticated users.. is that OK to do for testing? After forcing
the
> >> refresh, the policy seems to have replicated but when I run net user
for
> >> myself on the domain, the 'Password expires' and 'Password changeable'
> > dates
> >> aren't what I expect. It's almost as if it's holding on to the dates
from
> >> the previous policy (or something). I think the old policy on the OU is
> > gone
> >> (I checked out the policies in sysvol, the registry, used gpotool ..).
> >> So,
> >> is it not working correctly because of how I'm applying it to only
> >> myself,
> >> or the old policy is lingering, or what??

Right, Cary. But, corporation.local is a domain in and of itself, and so are
"thisdomain.corporation.local" and "thatdomain.corporation.local". Would
thisdomain be able to have a separate password policy from thatdomain, or
would password policy only be configurable at the "corporation.local" level?

Ken

> [...]
>> > one again. Well, if you open up the Active Directory Users and
>> > Computer
>> > MMC
>> > and open up a user account object you can click on the 'Password never
>> > Expires' check box. This creates a situation where - for that
>> > specific
>> > user account object - the 'age' parts of the Password Policy do not
> apply.
>> > He/she still needs to have a password with at least six characters and
>> > must
>> > meet the password complexity requirements. That will always apply.
>> > However, the 30 days and seven days and 10 passwords remembered do not
>> > apply.
>> >
>> > But, doing this - even for one user and especially for any
> 'Administrator'
>> > type account - compromises the entire security of your network ( well,

Ken,

Each Domain would have its own Password Policy. Sorry, I should have
explicitly stated that in my first response so that we would not have needed
the additional thread ( read: you would have had your answer much sooner ).
So, the Password Policy that is set at corporation.local has no bearing on
any other domain in the tree / forest. Same for
thisdomain.corporation.local and for thatdomain.corporation.local. I would
suggest that you set up this Password Policy by using the Domain Security
Policy.

The Password Policy is often the reason for having multiple domains. If one
'department' or 'division' wants to have super complex passwords with a
shorter password age and many passwords remembered while another does not
seem bothered by this the 'wanting' department or division will often fight
for a separate domain within the tree.

You can have only one password policy in each domain. And it must be set at
the domain level.

I hesitate to mention this because it almost always leads to confusion - so
take this with a grain of salt!

You can set a password policy at the OU level. However, it has absolutely
no bearing whatsoever on your domain user account objects. it does,
however, affect only those local user accounts on each workstation that
directly resides in the OU to which this Policy was linked. So, you can use
your domain user account object and log on to one of these workstations and
that Policy that is linked to that OU will not have any affect on your
domain user account object. Now, log on locally to that machine ( say,
with the local Administrator account ) and badda bing! badda bam! that user
account is affected by that Policy that is linked to the OU. Makes sense?

> Right, Cary. But, corporation.local is a domain in and of itself, and so
are
> "thisdomain.corporation.local" and "thatdomain.corporation.local". Would
> thisdomain be able to have a separate password policy from thatdomain, or
> would password policy only be configurable at the "corporation.local"
level?

> Ken
>
> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Ken,
> >
> > As I stated, the Password Policy is set at the Domain level.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Cary
> >
> > "Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm wondering how the password policy is affected by a domain being a
> > child
> >> domain. For instance, you have
> >>
> >> corporation.local
> >> / \
> >> / \
> >> thisdomain thatdomain
> >>
> >> Could "thisdomain(.corporation.local)" have a separate password policy
> > from
> >> "thatdomain(.corporation.local)" which are both child domains of
> >> corporation.local? I left off the fqdn for the children for space
> >> constraints ;)
> >>
> >> Ken
> >>

> >> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > this

> > policies.

> > user
> > objects

> > Usually
> > apply.

> > 'Administrator'

> > and
> > the
> > for
> > from

Yup... all that makes sense now :)

Thanks for clearing it up! :)

Ken
> [...]
> with the local Administrator account ) and badda bing! badda bam! that
> user
> account is affected by that Policy that is linked to the OU. Makes sense?
>
> HTH,
>
> Cary
>
> "Ken B" <none@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Right, Cary. But, corporation.local is a domain in and of itself, and so
> are
>> "thisdomain.corporation.local" and "thatdomain.corporation.local". Would
>> thisdomain be able to have a separate password policy from thatdomain, or
>> would password policy only be configurable at the "corporation.local"
> level?
>>
>> Ken
>>
>> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Ken,
>> >
>> > As I stated, the Password Policy is set at the Domain level.

Glad to be helpful! If you have any more questions you know where to reach
us!