Sign in with
Your question

Help plz Monitor/Video card problem (I think)

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2007 6:35:03 PM

Just bought new computer, e6400, DS3, x1950pro, OCZ GameXStream, XMS2 2gb Corsair, q19wb monitor, and everything has been working great for the past 4-5 days since I put it together. Got a bunch of successful overclocks, everything was working great. I built the computer in my kitchen since it was only non carpeted area in my house so after about 4-5 days I decided to move it up into my computer room upstairs. I pack everything up, moved it upstairs and plugged everything in. Go to boot it up and it boots up fine, heres where I have my problem.

The computer boots up fine, the monitor gets power but it says no signal from the computer. Tried replugging everything in multiple times, switching DVI ports on video card, neither of which resulted in a signal. Tried using an old CRT monitor to see if it was a monitor problem but that monitor didn't get any signals from my computer either. Can't figure out whats wrong, could it be the video card? Could it really have broken from the time I carried it downstairs to upstairs? I don't have an old PCI card to test to see if the video card magically broke in that 30 second time frame. Need help plz.

Thank you
January 22, 2007 6:43:48 PM

Since you moved it, you might have tweaked the case enough to cause something to unseat. I would open the case up and reseat both the video card and your memory chips. I would suspect a memory chip isn't fully seated.
January 22, 2007 6:54:25 PM

Tried reseating the video card and other things and nothing seemed to help. The video card fan is still spinning so it can't be completely dead. Also, don't know if this is anything but I don't remember there being a lit up red LED light at the end of the video card when I had it downstairs, there is one now. Could it be indicating that something is wrong? It's the HIS x1950 pro.
Related resources
January 22, 2007 7:08:34 PM

Is the PCI-X power cable from the PSU still plugged into the vid card?
January 22, 2007 7:16:30 PM

Yea, video card fan still turns on.
January 22, 2007 8:09:55 PM

I'm referring to the six-pin power connector at the back edge of the video card. If your power supply has two, disconnect the current one, and plug the other one in. Do you get any beep codes at POST? Do you get a POST screen, then it goes blank?
January 22, 2007 11:19:11 PM

Yea I know you were talking about the 6-pin power connector, I tried both and get same results on both. I seriously think it has something to do with the red LED light that is coming from the video card. It wasn't lit up when it was working and not it is lighting up. Should I RMA it or try and get ahold of another card to see if it works with that?
January 23, 2007 2:20:24 AM

Yeah. I have the exact same card and the only time I saw the red light was when I forgot to plug the pci-e power in during one of those swap-in, swap-out sessions. It went through POST, but then I got an error message that the plug wasn't connected. Do you have other cards and/or power supplies you could try? It's odd to go out in such a manner. You'd want to rule out power supply.
January 23, 2007 2:34:17 AM

No unfortunately I don't, but I'm going to take it to the local shop tomorrow to see if I can get some sort of answer via that. Also, can't believe I wasn't listening for post beeps but it doesn't post. Now I'm more inclined to believe it's a problem with the motherboard. Thought it might be grounded so I took it out and booted it up outside the case and got same results. Hope people at the computer shop can help me out tomorrow.
January 23, 2007 2:37:57 PM

Let me know the results of your visit -- I'm interested in the outcome, esp since I have the same video card, if that turns out to be the problem. One aside regarding that video card; mine started making an irritating clicking sound (from the fan). Read one other post where someone with the same card had the same noise problem. It's not loud, just annoying (since it's in an HTPC), so you might want to keep your "ear" on it.
February 7, 2007 8:49:40 AM

So... yea I FINALLY got the computer back after 2 weeks (only charged me $25 though) to find out the mobo fried. Guess hauling it upstairs fried it, not exactly sure but I'm gonna RMA it.
February 7, 2007 12:12:46 PM

Quote:
So... yea I FINALLY got the computer back after 2 weeks (only charged me $25 though) to find out the mobo fried. Guess hauling it upstairs fried it, not exactly sure but I'm gonna RMA it.

RMA?
February 7, 2007 1:56:27 PM

Quote:
Sounds like there must have been something (piece of metal) rolling around loose under the motherboard that might have shorted it. Either that, or the PCB is so thin that, when you moved it, something cracked. Wierd. Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out.
!