Will RAID work on P5W DH under Windows Vista without.....

Filur

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Was just wondering what to do about Vista...first of all, will we be able to make it work in a RAID configuration without new RAID drivers from ASUS? Am running RAID 0 at the moment, which I would hate to give up.

Secondly, so far I have only found drivers on ASUS' homepage for the wireless network...more worried about all sorts of other drivers. Any idea what is going to work, e.g. USB, network adapters and all the other devices that produce a yellow question mark after a fresh XP install? Is ASUS likely to avail a Vista driver package for the motherboard?

...as I said, just wondering...but better that than getting stuck halfway through and then have to re-install XP. :D

Cheers.

shaba230

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
i am also interested in whether all the features will work with vista...i want to lean towards yes because their beta drivers seem to be pushing toward vista compatibility but i'm just not sure....if someone has some 'inside info' it would be appreciated.

Filur

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Maybe this is the wrong forum....perhaps this topic should have been addressed under Software where the is a Vista 'department'? :)

Would have put it up there, but wanted to avoid double posting.

In any case, searching the web a bit returned the following worrying discussion:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=947248&SiteID=17&PageID=1

Which seems to indicate that there are major problems (if any solutions) getting RAID 0 or 1 to work under Vista!

It seems there are problems with the drives (if they exist for Vista at all).

I don't want to install Vista if it means I have to give up RAID because Intel or ASUS cannot get their act together and produce drivers for a RAID chipset that is less than a year old (I think).

When I checked on ASUS' homepage on Saturday, there was still only a network driver available for P5W....perhaps more will come after the official release?

Is this the best Intel and/or ASUS can do?

What are you guys thinking? Giving up RAID or Vista or waiting for ASUS/Intel to get their act together. Or is there a solution I am missing?

:?

phrygius

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
. . . searching the web a bit returned the following worrying discussion:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=947248&SiteID=17&PageID=1

Which seems to indicate that there are major problems (if any solutions) getting RAID 0 or 1 to work under Vista!

Is this the best Intel and/or ASUS can do . . . is there a solution I am missing?

Intel® Matrix Storage Manager
Microsoft* Windows Vista* Support FAQ

General Questions

Q1: When will Intel officially begin supporting Microsoft* Windows Vista* drivers on support.intel.com?
A: Intel® Matrix Storage Manager driver support from Intel for the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system will begin when Microsoft officially launches the operating system on January 30, 2007.

Q2: Will Intel provide RAID drivers in the final version of the Microsoft Windows Vista operating system?
A: Yes. Intel will provide an Intel® Matrix Storage Manager RAID driver as part of the final Microsoft Windows Vista release. This RAID driver will support Intel® chipsets with the following I/O controller hubs when RAID is enabled:

Intel® 82801HR/HH/HO I/O controller hub (ICH8R)
Intel® 631xESB/632xESB I/O controller hub
Intel® 82801GHM I/O controller hub (ICH7MDH)
Intel® 82801GR I/O controller hub (ICH7R)
Intel® 82801GH I/O controller hub (ICH7DH)
Intel® 82801FR I/O controller hub (ICH6R)

Intel Vista drivers located here:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/

Good luck