How to turn off 'Open With' dialog box when clicking on un..

We have terminal server clients in a locked down environment.
When they click on a file with an extension not recognised by the system,
a dialog box will open asking them to pick from any loaded apps on the
server or to go out on the web looking for any other apps that might do. We
don't want the users running unathorized apps.
How do you turn this off? Couldn't see anything in GPO. (I may have missed
it though)
Win2003 Terminal Services.
Graham
3 answers Last reply
More about turn open with dialog clicking

    I don't know if it is possible, but my first thought is to get Tweakui (MS
    freebee tool) and see if it can perform the neccessary registry edits.

    --
    Glenn L
    CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security

    "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
    > We have terminal server clients in a locked down environment.
    > When they click on a file with an extension not recognised by the system,
    > a dialog box will open asking them to pick from any loaded apps on the
    > server or to go out on the web looking for any other apps that might do.
    We
    > don't want the users running unathorized apps.
    > How do you turn this off? Couldn't see anything in GPO. (I may have
    missed
    > it though)
    > Win2003 Terminal Services.
    > Graham

    Found HKCU\Software\MS\Win\CV\Policy\Explorer\NoFileAssociate=1 DWORD
    disables the user's ability to change the association.
    Also HKCR\Unknown allows changing the whole server and how it associates -
    but admins would get hit as well - not really what I want.
    I'll keep looking.
    Graham

    "Glenn L" <the.only@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I don't know if it is possible, but my first thought is to get Tweakui (MS
    > freebee tool) and see if it can perform the neccessary registry edits.
    >
    > --
    > Glenn L
    > CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security
    >

    > "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
    > > We have terminal server clients in a locked down environment.
    > > When they click on a file with an extension not recognised by the
    system,
    > > a dialog box will open asking them to pick from any loaded apps on the
    > > server or to go out on the web looking for any other apps that might do.
    > We
    > > don't want the users running unathorized apps.
    > > How do you turn this off? Couldn't see anything in GPO. (I may have
    > missed
    > > it though)
    > > Win2003 Terminal Services.
    > > Graham

    Found HKCR\Applications\app.exe put an empty string 'NoOpenWith' and these
    apps will not be available in the 'open with' menu.
    Graham
    > Found HKCU\Software\MS\Win\CV\Policy\Explorer\NoFileAssociate=1 DWORD
    > disables the user's ability to change the association.
    > Also HKCR\Unknown allows changing the whole server and how it associates -
    > but admins would get hit as well - not really what I want.
    > I'll keep looking.
    > Graham
    >
    > "Glenn L" <the.only@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I don't know if it is possible, but my first thought is to get Tweakui
    (MS
    > > freebee tool) and see if it can perform the neccessary registry edits.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Glenn L
    > > CCNA, MCSE 2000, MCSE 2003 + Security
    > >

    > > "Graham Prentice" <gprentice_@_oakville.ca> wrote in message
    > > > We have terminal server clients in a locked down environment.
    > > > When they click on a file with an extension not recognised by the
    > system,
    > > > a dialog box will open asking them to pick from any loaded apps on the
    > > > server or to go out on the web looking for any other apps that might
    do.
    > > We
    > > > don't want the users running unathorized apps.
    > > > How do you turn this off? Couldn't see anything in GPO. (I may have
    > > missed
    > > > it though)
    > > > Win2003 Terminal Services.
    > > > Graham