Office 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Ok... help me out, anyone! I probably set this up wrong, but here's my
situation:

My company uses Access 97 databases, and we were unable to upgrade Access
due to security that was tied in with the Access security file (.MDA / .MDW
files). We've come to the point that we think we have the security set
correctly without the use of the file, and the Data Processing manager wants
to have my side of IT (Windows / Networking) roll out Access 2003. Fine and
dandy... until you see how I deployed Office 2003.

I copied the contents of the Office 2003 CD to a folder, Office 2003, how
intuitive. I downloaded the ORK for 2003, and created a transform,
disabling Access, and putting in the license code we have, and accept the
EULA, maybe a custom Outlook profile, etc. Yadda yadda yadda. Set up a
group policy to install Office, assigned to computers. The policy I set was
looking for the pro11.msi file in the aforementioned Office 2003 folder, and
applying the transform I created.

Now, I'm coming to realize that after it's been deployed (and working,
amazingly!) to 200+ computers, we now want to change what I put in the
transform file to install Access.

I've been reading that I probably wanted to use an Administrative
installation point. I also think I wanted to do that in the first place, so
I could apply service packs, patches, etc.

My initial questions:
- Am I in too deep to back out of my deployment and do it correctly?
- Should I just make another package to install Access using just the
ACC11.msi file separately from the suite installation?
- If I were to back out, am I going to have 200 computers not having Office
on their computer after rebooting or whatever?
- Or should I just go hide behind a rock and hope that they forget about
deploying Access 2003??

Any help anyone can give would be most appreciated!

Thanks

Ken

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi,

I only know about Office 2000, but assuming much of the technology is
the same, I can comment on some of this.

In general, you should use an AIP, this will let you integrate service
packs and patches which saves you having to keep patching any new
machines. It also means any user who adds a "feature" will always get
the up-to-date version. Note, however, that if you patch the inst point,
you must then perform a "recache and reinstall" of the affected feature
to ALL workstations on the network. This is explained in the ORK.

In the case you outline below, I would do this:

1. Create a new AIP with transforms, SPs, patches etc.
2. Test it on a single test machine then uninstall it again.
3. Uninstall office from all your machines using GPO or whatever.
4. Install office to all machines, but this time from the AIP
5. Live happily ever after

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)