Group policy - another newbie question

I've found at least four different ways to start a policy editor. Can anyone
explain the difference?

(1) in Control Panel, we have "Domain Controller Security Policy";
(2) also in Control Panel, we have "Domain Secury Policy";
(3) Documents say type "gpedit.msc" in a Command Prompt.
(4) Win2k3 online help has this link to start what it call "Local Security
Settings":
ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\audit.chm::/EXEC=,secpol.msc CHM-UAShared.chm
FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm. This is I think the same as type
"secpol.msc" in Command Prompt.

Thanks!!

Hi Anna

1. Domain Controller Security Policy is exactly that. The security settings
which apply to the Domain Controllers. This is a subset of the settings
(just the security settings) you see if you open Active Directory Users and
Computers, select the properties of the Domain Controllers Organisational
Unit, navigate to the Group Policy tab and edit the Default Domain
Controller Policy.

2. Domain Security Policy is the set of security settings which apply to the
entire Domain (not just the DC's). Like the Domain Controller Security
Policy, this is a subset of the policy settings found in the Default Domain
Policy. This links to the domain in Active Directory Users and Computers.

3. GPEdit.msc edits the local policy. This is stored locally on the machine
and is not pushed down by Active Directory. It's best not to mess around
with this unless you're in a workgroup environment and even then it has
limitations.

4. Local Security settings is the security subset of what you see in
GPEdit.msc. Again, best to just leave it alone and manage things from AD.

HTH
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team

"Anna Colton" <annac@abc.com> wrote in message
> I've found at least four different ways to start a policy editor. Can
> anyone explain the difference?
>
> (1) in Control Panel, we have "Domain Controller Security Policy";
> (2) also in Control Panel, we have "Domain Secury Policy";
> (3) Documents say type "gpedit.msc" in a Command Prompt.
> (4) Win2k3 online help has this link to start what it call "Local Security
> Settings":
> ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\audit.chm::/EXEC=,secpol.msc CHM-UAShared.chm
> FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm. This is I think the same as type
> "secpol.msc" in Command Prompt.
>
> Thanks!!

Cool! Thanks Mark!

"Mark Renoden [MSFT]" <markreno@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Anna
>
> 1. Domain Controller Security Policy is exactly that. The security
> settings which apply to the Domain Controllers. This is a subset of the
> settings (just the security settings) you see if you open Active Directory
> Users and Computers, select the properties of the Domain Controllers
> Organisational Unit, navigate to the Group Policy tab and edit the Default
> Domain Controller Policy.
>
> 2. Domain Security Policy is the set of security settings which apply to
> the entire Domain (not just the DC's). Like the Domain Controller
> Security Policy, this is a subset of the policy settings found in the
> Default Domain Policy. This links to the domain in Active Directory Users
> and Computers.
>
> 3. GPEdit.msc edits the local policy. This is stored locally on the
> machine and is not pushed down by Active Directory. It's best not to mess
> around with this unless you're in a workgroup environment and even then it
> has limitations.
>
> 4. Local Security settings is the security subset of what you see in
> GPEdit.msc. Again, best to just leave it alone and manage things from AD.
>
> HTH
> --
> Mark Renoden [MSFT]
> Windows Platform Support Team
> Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com
>
> Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
> me; I'll post a response back to the group.

> rights.
>
> "Anna Colton" <annac@abc.com> wrote in message
>> I've found at least four different ways to start a policy editor. Can
>> anyone explain the difference?
>>
>> (1) in Control Panel, we have "Domain Controller Security Policy";
>> (2) also in Control Panel, we have "Domain Secury Policy";
>> (3) Documents say type "gpedit.msc" in a Command Prompt.
>> (4) Win2k3 online help has this link to start what it call "Local
>> Security Settings":
>> ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\audit.chm::/EXEC=,secpol.msc CHM-UAShared.chm
>> FILE=alt_url_windows_component.htm. This is I think the same as type
>> "secpol.msc" in Command Prompt.
>>
>> Thanks!!

TRENDING THREADS