Your question

nForce 4 SLi x16 vs. nForce 680i SLi

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Quad
  • SLI
Last response: in Motherboards
January 22, 2007 9:49:59 PM

Looking for a motherboard to accomidate two 8800 GTXs in SLi, I stumbled accross the GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal motherboard, with an nForce 4 SLi x16 chipset.http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

The GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal is half the price of the expensive 680i SLi, and I was wondering why should I spend twice as much on the 680i SLi.

Thank You.

More about : nforce sli x16 nforce 680i sli

January 22, 2007 10:56:45 PM

Uhm? maybe its because......lemme think.... quad royal doesnt support Core 2 duo, Quad Core, 1333FSB, up to DDR2-1200 memory, 680I also has built in Linkboost activated whenever you install a 8800 series card(so 100mhz PCI-E to 150 Mhz)

O, and maybe because the 680I is best Overclocker as reviewed by THG, andandtech, 3DGURU, ETC.

But what do i know (besides owning the eVGA 680I) So heck go buy the http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

For all i care..... :roll:
January 22, 2007 11:29:33 PM

Quote:
Uhm? maybe its because......lemme think.... quad royal doesnt support

Core 2 duo

Where does it say that? It says 775 doesnt it?

Quote:

Quad Core

Worthless.

Quote:

1333FSB

Can overclock to 1333Mhz.

Quote:

DDR2-1200

Thats a joke, right?

Quote:

Linkboost

Meh.

Quote:

Overclocker

Buying E4400 with 10x multiplier, wont need FSB to be higher than 333Mhz.

Quote:

For all i care..... :roll:

No need for that. If u dont have anything nice to say, dont reply. :roll:
Related resources
January 23, 2007 1:21:29 AM

I doubt it supports Core 2 Duo, I did some searching and I could not find an article stating it supports Core 2 Duo let alone tested with Core 2 Duo.

from newegg:
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Pentium D / Pentium 4 HT / Celeron D

It is my opinion the the 680i board provides more of an upgrade path than an nF4 board

Quote:
The GA-8N-SLI Quad Royal is half the price of the expensive 680i SLi, and I was wondering why should I spend twice as much on the 680i SLi.

well no one has a gun to your head... 8)

Not sure why you would want 4 PCI-e slots 8O (8 monitors? highest resolution possible? 2560x1920?!)

and again the 680i has more features, is new technology, overclocks higher, looks cooler what have you :)  .
January 23, 2007 1:37:00 AM

Quote:
I doubt it supports Core 2 Duo, I did some searching and I could not find an article stating it supports Core 2 Duo let alone tested with Core 2 Duo.

from newegg:
Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 775
CPU Type Pentium D / Pentium 4 HT / Celeron D

It is my opinion the the 680i board provides more of an upgrade path than an nF4 board

well no one has a gun to your head... 8)

Not sure why you would want 4 PCI-e slots 8O (8 monitors? highest resolution possible? 2560x1920?!)

and again the 680i has more features, is new technology, overclocks higher, looks cooler what have you :)  .

I dont see how thats possible. It says Socket 775 and Core 2 Duos are socket 775. That page was written over 6 months ago, before they were released.

And i dont want 4 PCIe slots - that motherboard is the only one i can get other than the 680i SLi where i live.
January 23, 2007 3:32:47 AM

It is possible if the board was released before the C2D series that it cannot support the C2D series. Sad but true. I'm not sure what governs whether it can or cannot support it I'll have to get back to you on that. I keep thinking VRMs but don't quote me on that.

You only have two motherboards you can buy? Where do you live?

And I'm not sure what page you are referring to... I did not link a page and I checked the other links.
January 23, 2007 4:53:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I dont see how thats possible. It says Socket 775 and Core 2 Duos are socket 775. That page was written over 6 months ago, before they were released.

oh believe us, it's possible ...
Intel changed the VRM specification for C2D so there are plenty of 775 mobos that don't support C2D.
January 23, 2007 11:15:57 AM

Its been a little while but if i remember correctly just before the release of Core 2 Duo there were 2 motherboards that were exactly the same but inherently different. The P5N32-SLi Deluxe and the P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe. Both of which are nforce 4 chipsets but the first one did not support C2D where the second one did simply because the SE Deluxe had its voltages modified to handle the C2D.

So it is possible for a LGA 775 motherboard to not support C2D if its old enough. If the board was mainstream prior to C2D launch and is a Nforce4 chipset it will most likely not be C2D compliant.

Although the 680i is a lot for your needs, I would purchase it simply because your needs may change later down the line. You may not see it right now but one day you will be looking to install additional devices or something of the sort and that 680i will be more than capable of handling it, while the old board moves on to the clearance rack along with its pentium 4 buddies.
January 23, 2007 11:43:52 AM

But where am i going to find 360$ for the 680i SLi? Thats the question.

It seems like the nForce 680i SLi is the ONLY nForce chipset to support Core 2 Duos, because its the only one that was out after their release. Not to mention before their release everyone wanted Athlons, so there are many more 590 SLi motherboards with socket AM2 than 775. Infact, i cant find a single one.
January 23, 2007 12:18:14 PM

Quote:

It seems like the nForce 680i SLi is the ONLY nForce chipset to support Core 2 Duos, because its the only one that was out after their release. Not to mention before their release everyone wanted Athlons, so there are many more 590 SLi motherboards with socket AM2 than 775. Infact, i cant find a single one.

Not true. 650i SLI for around $140-150. Newegg has at least 1 model available - Asus? True, it's only 8x,8x in SLI.. but it IS a C2D mobo at $100 off the 680i. Is $100 worth dropping from 16x,16x SLI? If I'm throwing $1100 into two videocards, I'm not going cheap on the motherboard..
January 23, 2007 12:24:53 PM

Quote:

dude, if you're serious enough about this to want to put 8800gtx's in SLI, then im pretty sure you shouldnt be skimping out on the motherboard.

if you cant afford it, rethink your needs.
January 23, 2007 1:24:31 PM

Just because it's a 775 doesn't mean it supports conroe. The Intel 925 chipset is a 775 and it doesn't support conroe and the first 975 boards also didn't support conroe due to improper voltage regulation.

The 1333FSB will support higher speed processor. It is rumored (last I heard) that the top of the line Penryn's will support 1333FSB.

Quad-core is not useless for people who perform lots of multitasking and many more programs including games are being thread-optimized.

I find it strange that you ask what others think and then bash them for it.
January 23, 2007 1:51:12 PM

Quote:

Quad-core is not useless for people who perform lots of multitasking and many more programs including games are being thread-optimized.

I find it strange that you ask what others think and then bash them for it.

Exactly. I LOVE having a QX6700 with games, since I'm rarely JUST playing the game. I nearly always have WinAmp, TeamSpeak/Ventrilo, Xfire/AIM, a web browser, email client, and mIRC open while playing games. That's the sort of thing quad core helps with in gaming right now.
January 23, 2007 2:09:00 PM

Well you dont have to get the 680i. There are the 590 boards and if you want to try the P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe which is what i have you can do that too. I wouldnt really follow the ideal that if you spend huge money on the 8800's that you should spend the same on the motherboard. Mid 200 dollar range is good enough, just make sure is x16. Not that you will use that much bandwidth but id rather have it and not use then be limited later on.

Do some more homework and rethink your budget. Your not in a pissing contest here nor is getting those cards in SLi going to impress anybody. To be quite honest those cards are probably the biggest waist of money atm simply because the only title that is going to use them to their full capacity is Crysis which isnt released yet. Even then 1 8800GTX will more than likely run Crysis just fine. Besides that i would not spend 1200 bucks just so i can play one game thats going to give me just a little bit of eye candy over a regular system. When you get those 8800's your going to be required to use Vista which is a nightmare in itself. After you install that abomination your going to have to use the Nvidia beta drivers which is a joke. Im not saying it wont work because there is plenty of people who have stable setups but meh ill save myself the headache.

I personally would save your money and get some type of step up program. Look towards the 8800 in 2nd to 3rd qtr 07 because hopefully by then you may have a few DX10 titles to choose from. But i can assure you that 1200 dollars will be half that in 6 months and then you will feel completely stupid for spending all that money. My 7900GT KO 512MB cards run my games bueatifully and i do not have any doubt that Crysis will not bring my system to its knees. I might miss out on a few things but when the 8800's come down in price ill reinstall the game and see what the big hoopla was about.

Dont worry about the hype dude and definately dont worry about bragging rights. After all its your money not anybody elses.
January 23, 2007 4:21:02 PM

What most ppl here dont get is that i do not live in the US, or as i call it "the land of free hardware".

Thus i cannot buy the 680i for under 360$ or the 8800 GTX for under 900$. Not to mention that thats IF i find them. I only have access to a much smaller ammount of motherboards.

Alright, so i get that the Gigabyte Quad-Royal does not support C2D. It's out.
What i still dont know is if the 8800s NEED a x16 slot in SLi.

In the end i think ill get the 680i just because its the only thing that im SURE will work.

But then again, 775 has been here for years.. how "futureproof" would the 680i be if a new socket will come out next year?
January 23, 2007 9:54:25 PM

With the Core 2 just being released a few months ago and the Quad soon after that I dont think the 775 socket will be going anywhere for a little while. Socket 478 hung around for several years and many folks still use it. You cant necessasrily "futureproof" yourself that much but you can try and get the hardware that will get you as close to that goal as possible. But as technology as shown eventually Socket 775 will phase out just like 478 and something new will be introduced. I think its going be a couple years before that happens but then again I dont have a crystal ball. If you waited for new hardware to come out before making your purchase you might as well never buy anything. With technology you should have a short term 2 year outlook at the most. The Core 2 Extreme and Quad Core are kicking ass right now and in two years they will still kick ass.

As far as x16 SLi bandwidth, the way i see it is its better to have too much than too little. You dont want to get that next big game and then spend thousands on video cards only be held back because you skimped on the video bandwidth.

Also the 680i is not that much cheaper here and $400+ is what you will pay for a good one especially form a place like newegg. The 8800 are going for $600+ from a decent manufacturer. Most Americans are e-consumers anyway so take some time and surf some well known sites like www.newegg.com and thats what we pay for stuff.
January 23, 2007 10:19:19 PM

Quote:
What most ppl here dont get is that i do not live in the US, or as i call it "the land of free hardware".

Perhaps you should tell us that :) 
January 23, 2007 11:50:26 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you should tell us that :) 

I try. When i lived in the US i was too young to care abt PCs, but now I see the unbelievable prices that u can get in the US.
January 23, 2007 11:54:47 PM

Quote:
With the Core 2 just being released a few months ago and the Quad soon after that I dont think the 775 socket will be going anywhere for a little while. Socket 478 hung around for several years and many folks still use it. You cant necessasrily "futureproof" yourself that much but you can try and get the hardware that will get you as close to that goal as possible. But as technology as shown eventually Socket 775 will phase out just like 478 and something new will be introduced. I think its going be a couple years before that happens but then again I dont have a crystal ball. If you waited for new hardware to come out before making your purchase you might as well never buy anything. With technology you should have a short term 2 year outlook at the most. The Core 2 Extreme and Quad Core are kicking ass right now and in two years they will still kick ass.

As far as x16 SLi bandwidth, the way i see it is its better to have too much than too little. You dont want to get that next big game and then spend thousands on video cards only be held back because you skimped on the video bandwidth.

Also the 680i is not that much cheaper here and $400+ is what you will pay for a good one especially form a place like newegg. The 8800 are going for $600+ from a decent manufacturer. Most Americans are e-consumers anyway so take some time and surf some well known sites like www.newegg.com and thats what we pay for stuff.

Good point.

But he 680i SLi costs only 250$ in the US. Prices here are always double, but i got a "great" deal on the 680i for "only" 360$.

I cant shop at Newegg because the if i buy the 680i for 250$ from Newegg, the extra 110$ will be added in customs, not to mention another 40$ for international shipping.

The only way i can buy the 680i is if i knew someone who was going to travel to where i live - Israel, and deliver it to me personally.
January 24, 2007 5:29:09 PM

Whenever I go to Costa Rica I like to pack a computer in my suitcase to sell while I'm down there.
January 25, 2007 2:14:30 PM

Quote:
Whenever I go to Costa Rica I like to pack a computer in my suitcase to sell while I'm down there.

I hope u realize how lucky u really are.
January 25, 2007 3:14:33 PM

Quote:
Well you dont have to get the 680i. There are the 590 boards and if you want to try the P5N32-SLi SE Deluxe which is what i have you can do that too. I wouldnt really follow the ideal that if you spend huge money on the 8800's that you should spend the same on the motherboard. Mid 200 dollar range is good enough, just make sure is x16. Not that you will use that much bandwidth but id rather have it and not use then be limited later on.

Do some more homework and rethink your budget. Your not in a pissing contest here nor is getting those cards in SLi going to impress anybody. To be quite honest those cards are probably the biggest waist of money atm simply because the only title that is going to use them to their full capacity is Crysis which isnt released yet. Even then 1 8800GTX will more than likely run Crysis just fine. Besides that i would not spend 1200 bucks just so i can play one game thats going to give me just a little bit of eye candy over a regular system. When you get those 8800's your going to be required to use Vista which is a nightmare in itself. After you install that abomination your going to have to use the Nvidia beta drivers which is a joke. Im not saying it wont work because there is plenty of people who have stable setups but meh ill save myself the headache.

I personally would save your money and get some type of step up program. Look towards the 8800 in 2nd to 3rd qtr 07 because hopefully by then you may have a few DX10 titles to choose from. But i can assure you that 1200 dollars will be half that in 6 months and then you will feel completely stupid for spending all that money. My 7900GT KO 512MB cards run my games bueatifully and i do not have any doubt that Crysis will not bring my system to its knees. I might miss out on a few things but when the 8800's come down in price ill reinstall the game and see what the big hoopla was about.

Dont worry about the hype dude and definately dont worry about bragging rights. After all its your money not anybody elses.

im not attacking you or anything, im just chuckling at that post about saving money when i read in your signature that you have an X6800.
January 25, 2007 4:45:26 PM

He does?

Wow, u think u know someone. I cant respect anyone with anything abovean E6600.
January 25, 2007 6:58:34 PM

lol big difference between a processor that can and will be used to its fullest extent and a video card that is just as good as anything you can buy now.

But like i said i bought my stuff based on my needs and i did that without asking for advice/help/opinions. Track is asking for advice/help/opinions to which i gave it based on the needs he describes. Its still up to him to take it or leave it. Either way im fine with what i have. When the time is right ill pickup some 8800's but right now id prefer a stable system over one that may or may not work with a shitty OS and buggy display drivers.

So if he wanted to have the biggest baddest gaming machine possible then id suggest purchase the 8800 but hell purchase the 680i since money is of no factor. But i digress. Im happy with my X6800 and its potential which was $1,015.00 at Clubit.com.
January 25, 2007 8:52:30 PM

First off, i just want to say that i dont respect u.

How can u buy an X6800?? You know that the only reason to buy it is to overclock past 4Ghz. And why would u want to overclock past 4Ghz? What is that going to get u?
And its not like u can overclock a lot past 4Ghz because of cooling limitations. You wont be able to overclock over 4Ghz anyway if u dont have watercooling. And even with watercooling u would only get to 4.5Ghz.
But if even u did have watercooling, then ur motherboard could be the bottleneck, because most motherboards dont allow u to overclock past 400Mhz.
But then, even if u had the best motherboard in the world, u would also need the best RAM, wich would only be high freaquency and not high quality because of the latency. But u could get low latency memory at a very high price wich wouldnt be worth it - much like the X6800.
Course, then u would also need a high-end graphics card so that it wouldnt be a bottleneck to the CPU.

So is that why u bought it? Because if u ever bought watercooling, expensive memory, a highly overclockable motherboard and an equally strong graphics card, then u may be able to get an extra 500Mhz of CPU speed?
January 26, 2007 1:12:59 AM

Well first off I can assure you that I wont be losing sleep over the fact that you dont respect me lol. Oh noes someone on the internets doesnt like me!!! Processors get the most return out of them simply becuz later on someday down the line where stock speed just doesnt work then i have options. With video cards even if i were to purchase the biggest baddest card right now in 2 years it will be obsolete. Although ur calculations are slightly exagerated I am sure as technology advances so will the ability to overclock. You act like watercooling is so hard to come by...

At www.dangerden.com iv already built a water cooling system including a bay, pump, radiator w/fan, CPU, GPU, and chipset water blocks for little over $250 USD. With my Thermaltake Armor series case my options for expansion into a water cooling system are endless. Without WC im sitting at 35 degrees celcius at full load right now anyway. Chipset temps sits right about 90 degrees farhenheit. My GPU temps with my Zalman VF900 sits me about 45 degrees celsius under full load while playing many well known 3d titles that are out right now. I can also easily dual screen BF2 and WoW with very little loss of FPS even with splitting the Directx and OpenGL drivers. Your little e6600 going to be doing this? The only way to match the performance of my X6800 and its potential is to overclock your E6600. At stock speeds your little E6600 cant even compare to an X6800 unless you overclock. Dont believe me? Go hit up the benchies...

So while you push your E6600 farther and farther past its recommended specs until you eventually burn it up all i simply have to do to squeeze a little bit more is start overclocking. I know there are benchmarks that suggest the E6300 overclocked can blast away the X6800 but sorry to say you can push those lower end chips all you want. Go do some research on CPUs and what happens when you push them farther than the design specs allow; Premature failure usually results. So here we are again 2 years from now when your system is unstable and probably just about burned up im still here with my chip plugging along..Oh noes! Looks like those games and apps are catching up to my X6800.. /goes into the bios and selects overclock profile 15% Ah thats better.

I can agree that my motherboard chipset is probably not the best overclocker, hell to be honest the nforce4 chipset is a horrid overclocker. But i didnt buy this motherboard as a permanent solution. I bought this board so that I can build my system and not have peices and parts laying around for months (like a lot of other people were oing) while i wait for something bigger and better. Now take a look around...there is something bigger and better that I wil purchase when i NEED to. But the thing is i DONT need to because my system runs perfectly. The bueaty of PCs over consoles is simply, when i need to make an adjustment to catch up to the times I dont have to puchase a brand new system. All i have to do is go buy the component that needs the upgrading and then im back in business. Im pretty confident that in 2-3 years when games/apps start catching up to my processor all i need to do is purchase an Intel chipset board which will molre than likely have SLi x16 and overclock the shit out of it.

Sorry you dont respect me and hopefully this provides some reasoning behind my wild and crazy ways. But to be honest, I could careless because i know what i have. So you run along and build your little E6600 system which will certainly get the job done RIGHT NOW then in 2 years we will revisit this topic. Maybe just maybe you will stil have a running system. Il be sure to look for you in a few months when you keep getting all these BSODS/lockups, oh dont worry i wont say anything :) 
January 26, 2007 1:51:56 AM

dont worry dude, i dont care what you bought. if i had a bit more money, i might have bought a QX6700 or something else rediculous, but i didnt. so more power to you.
January 26, 2007 9:29:39 AM

Ok, now I respect u even less.

You didnt even READ what i wrote abt the X6800!

But u are so wrong its not even funny anymore cause some ppl could be reading this.

You're saying that the X6800 is more stable because u dont need to overclock it? Thats utter bullshit. With the stock cooler u can get 3.2Ghz or more and that would be a hell of a lot better than the X6800 wich costs over 3 times as much.

If u dont know how to overclock, thats ur problem. But saying that there is somehow a risk of the chip malfuctioning is just wrong! I personally have a friend who has an E6600 with a CNPS 9700 running at 3.4Ghz with temperatures LOWER than ur X6800. So wich is more stable?

Now for the bad part - there is almost no difference beetween the two CPUs, as 2.4Ghz and 2.9Ghz arent all that much different. How much of an increase will u see? maybe 5%, but probably less.

I hope u realize that u could have used that 600$ for something else.
Heck u could have given it to charity. But NOO, u have to stick to ur stupid notions about the X6800 being better.
Get this into ur head - the X6800 is NOT better in ANY way. Only complete noobs (like urself) and reviewers who think that noobs like u are going to read their work will buy that piece of shit.
January 26, 2007 10:51:54 AM

lol ok dude, well you run along and go build your system. This is beginning to bore me and PC hardware is definately not something to raise the blood pressure over. I could go on to explain more in debth since you need it but ill spare myself the time becuz im gonna go play me some video games on my $3,000 system :)  Ah God Bless America and its E-commerce businesses.
January 26, 2007 11:01:32 AM

oh i cant stand these anymore...im gonna get that x6800 if im a lucky rich guy...u know Track,most of the current world record benchmarks were held by x6800...that is d*mn special cpu compared to your 6600..grimmysnr just have to lower its multiplier to 9 (or maybe dont have to) and overclock it around 3.4Ghz like your friend with stock cooler and voltage but still got advantages: your friend's 6600 will last maybe 6~8 years and use more power source from psu(psu life will be shorter) btw that x6800 will last more and use less power than OCed 6600...you got to learn how small electronic components lifespan works when they run above their limit...not an expert here so dont blame me if im wrong..ask anyone expert out there..
January 26, 2007 11:17:04 AM

this is nforce4 and 680i sli thread isnt it? just get that one you able to get now but for me,I will take 680i:future proof and more options, and let everybody live happily with their own pc setup...
January 26, 2007 11:50:41 AM

Track,

Why did you even bother posting your question when you had already seemed to have made your mind up and only got upset when people tried to persuade you otherwise. You went as far as to alienate the person that was most giving you his time to give you some sound advice.

At the same time you demonstrate your lack of knowledge, which presumably is what drove you here in the first place and have the gall to declare that someone else is the noob. If you know so much, why ask the question?

People are laughing at you. I certainly did when I read "2.4Ghz and 2.9Ghz arent all that much different. How much of an increase will u see? maybe 5%, but probably less."
January 31, 2007 4:52:47 PM

You are a fcuking idiot. Just get a P965 board if you so desperate for SLI.
!