P4 OC'd to 8ghz

SirCoolness

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
:lol: Well I wish I could post my 8 Ghz P4!
No really I knew someone could do it, soon a 12Ghz overclock.
Headline "Weirdo locked in house overclocks PC to control world"
"It was nothing" he replied "After all, all I want is to rule..."

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
This May only be able to match a Athlon FX-62(stock). Or a E6400(stock) at best.

LOL no way. An 8GHz P4 would compete with a 4GHz Conroe (in single threaded tasks), in fact I suspect the P4 may actually beat it. Remember Netburst shines at higher clockspeeds, Prescott was originally meant to scale to 5GHz, and the 'Netburst Nehalem' was intended to scale to 10GHz! 8O

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
A 4Ghz conroe would kill it no matter what. I think even a 3Ghz conroe is too strong :D

Netburst is designed for raw clockspeeds at the expense of IPC, Core2 is designed for a balance between the two. It is fair to suspect that as the clockspeeds exceed 5GHz the P4 may scale more than a C2D would.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Read this on Slashdot and was amazed that Intel's new 65nm chips could go that far.

Here's the link:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,5505.html

I think that this news is enough for me to wanna buy a C2D for my next upgrade :D .
Anyone who is an enthusiast overclocker, will see the pride that must be felt in accomplishing this. That's a 5GHz O/C, and...yeah a Conroe...probably @3.5GHz will likely best it, but it's still a world record. The world record in the 1/4 mile is in the mid-low 4 second range, should someone who runs their car and gets 10 seconds(still quick) be scoffed at? I think not. Guys are bench-pressing 800-900lbs now, doesn't really mean that much, but hey...still impressive. See it for what it is....a group of CPU lovin' guys who pushed the envelope. Cool...no? :eek: