Did I fry my BIOS chip? Need expert Help

beast252525

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Hi I'm in no way new to computers. I've built more than 15 and have a good knowledge about hardware, BUT I'm completely dumfounded right now with my new rig. I built it about 2 weeks ago all brand new parts. It has been running no problems, I havent tried to overclock anything. All the temperatures have been more than optimal. So about 2 weeks after I built it i shut it off normally. My girlfriend turns it on (nothing else) and it displays this white flash looking screen kind of like it froze. So i held the power button and shut it off. Then I went to turn it back on, and it started to shut itself off after about 5 seconds everytime I turned it on. There was no power surge, I hadnt moved the computer, messed around, overclocked or anything like that. Only regular usage. I dont leave it on all night like some people like to do. So my first guess was the power on switch button was stuck. So i checked it, but it wasnt. So I figured the power supply was malfunctioning and that for some reason there wasnt enough power to keep the computer on, so I disconnected the hard drive and the DVD rom, and 2 case fans. This worked, and the computer successfully kept power. So I reconnected the fans and the HDD. Now it keeps power but there isnt a POST. NOTHING. It just lights up. SO, now I cleared the CMOS. I've tried it about 3 times separately. NOTHING. I reseated my ram. NOTHING. I Checked my vid card seating, NOTHING. I Reconnected the HDD to make sure it was properly connected. NOTHING. So now I am thinking its a motherboard problem. Maybe a fried BIOS chip? Could that explain the flash? I did flash the BIOS. Not with a floppy, but through the ASUS UPDATE feature. And i successfully used the computer for a few days after I updated the BIOS, no problems. I'm running out of ideas and its a pain in the ass to send the Motherboard back. If anyone has any ideas please help me out here. Sorry its so long.

ps. I am going to test my processor in my friends comp tomorrow, but I am seriously doubting that it is the problem. I am leaning more towards fried BIOS.

EXPERT SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!!

Specs:
650w PSU
Asus m2n32-deluxe wireless
evga 8800GTX
5200+ AM2
100 GB SATA 7200 RPM
Thermaltake Armor Case
2 GB corsair ddr2 6400
WINXP x64

Robc1880

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2002
What brand PSU are you using and how old is it? Generic PSU's do not have the power they state (due to lower standards). Also if it is over a year old it could be losing power. With the symptoms you stated it sounds like a power issue. I would first try getting another PSU.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Does it POST with nothing connected to it? (Nothing meaning switch connectors, as well as peripherals.) If it POSTS all the way to looking for a boot disk, then gradually re-connect each peripheral until it no longer boots. I have built hundreds of computers and have never "fried" a BIOS chip -- programmed them wrong and had to replace, but not fried. I'm inclined to agree with Robc1880; I would be more suspect of the PSU. How old is it, what power rating, what's connected to it. Is your MB 24 pin with an additional 4 pin CPU power?

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I'd be inclined to disconnect everything from the front panel header (except for the power switch), disconnect all drives (both data and power cables), pull all the cards (except video), reseat RAM and CPU and try to POST again.

Basically, unplug everything except the power button and power supply from the motherboard (absolute bare minimum to post with).

Just a week or two ago I had a machine in the office that wouldn't POST. Even though it had been in production for a few months, a reseating of the CPU fixed the problem. It had no video, no beeps, and when turning it on, the CPU fan would spin for a few seconds and turn off. It sounds pretty much the same as you describe above.

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Basically, unplug everything except the power button and power supply from the motherboard (absolute bare minimum to post with).

As I said in my post, I think you should disconnect everything, including the PS switch. You can start the system by shorting across the corresponding pins on the MB. That eliminates the potential of a shorted, or stuck switch being the problem.

eRazor

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
As I said in my post, I think you should disconnect everything, including the PS switch. You can start the system by shorting across the corresponding pins on the MB. That eliminates the potential of a shorted, or stuck switch being the problem.

Well, to each his own. That's what I would do too, but it's not advice I would give to anyone that I didn't know would know enough to short the correct pins with a jumper cap rather than a screwdriver (and accidentally stabbing a trace on the mobo in the process).

And, if you can understand what I said... lol one might think I was an ESL student :(

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I had a BIOS problem not too far back. I contacted EPoX tech support (it was an epox...) about the problem, and they sent me a new bios chip for FREE. This solved my problem. See if ASUS will send you a new bios chip before you buy one from somewhere!

Best of Luck

beast252525

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for all of your advice. Turns out it is more likely a transistor problem. Its on its way to ASUS to be repaired. So that means I get to spend another friggin' month without a comp. greatttt