Need power supply recommendation

worleybird24

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I'm currently looking into purchasing a new power supply because I will need to upgrade my PSU when I get my HIS x1950 pro 256 agp video card.

I'm currently running a P4 3.6ghz, 2gb of pc3200, soundblaster audigy 4, dvd drive, floppy drive, and a 80gb 7,200rpm HD.

I usually order my parts from either tigerdirect.com or newegg.com so if someone could suggest a power supply from one of those sites that would be great. Thanks for your help!

I was looking into this power supply would this work? (I know I would have to get a molex to pci-e connector and thats fine)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
[/sigh] if only you could have an apevia made power supply case and a seasonic's insides...

Or maybe there will be a miracle and apevia WON'T make a crappy PSU.

I like the looks of Hiper type-R it does fine but it isn't what I'm looking for... in otherwords I want more than 30A :) (Corsair HX520W yay!)

TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but I've been doing a lot of reading on PSU's because I'm configuring a new system, too. The PSU that I choose is the Corsair CMPSU-620HX. But if that's a bit too much PSU for your needs, the more modest Corsair CMPSU-520HX might suit you. Note that Corsair does not actually make these PSU's. The innards are made by Seasonic. :)

Here are a few reviews: HotHardWare , XbitLabs, Legit Reviews, Techniz.

Currently, Newegg does not have the best price on the 620. I found a better deal at ZipZoomFly.com. You may find varying results on the 520 model.

Hope that helps. :D

TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
My research has shown that the Corsair PSUs are made by a company called Power Choice. Seasonic makes many of Antec's PSUs. Check PSU 101 for the method i use to find the maker of PSUs.

It seems there are varying opinions about who makes the insides of the Corsair PSU's. Here's what I read:
Of course, Corsair is not the actual manufacturer of the PSU. The product is made by Seasonic. The CMPSU-620HX is an intermediary variant between Seasonic’s S-12 and M-12 models.
You can read the full article at XbitLabs.
Regardless of who makes the PSU, it has gotten stellar reviews by both pros and consumers. :D