How can i export a Group policy to use for other pc's

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I made this GP msc for one pc in our domain.

I want to save this msc so I can use it for other pc's.

The thing is, when I open this msc, it says: 'PCNAME policy'.

How can I save this msc so I can use it for another computer name? because I
can't change the PCNAME in the msc snap in....

Do i have to work with a template or smth like that?

Thomas,

It sounds like you created a local policy for the system that you were using
at that moment. It is a local policy. It will be 'local' to that system
and not necessarily available to any other system.

Are you in a networked environment ( or, let me state that better - in an
Active Directory environment )? Or are you in a workgroup environment?

Cary

"Thomas" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
> I made this GP msc for one pc in our domain.
>
> I want to save this msc so I can use it for other pc's.
>
> The thing is, when I open this msc, it says: 'PCNAME policy'.
>
> How can I save this msc so I can use it for another computer name? because
> can't change the PCNAME in the msc snap in....
>
> Do i have to work with a template or smth like that?

Thomas

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I'm in a AD environment, but the pc's will be in a workgroup.
I addes the pc to the domain, and applied a policy to that pc. After that
the pc won't be on the domain anymore, so he will logon locally.

I want to do this for other pc's too ..

"Thomas" <xxx@xxx.com> said

> I'm in a AD environment, but the pc's will be in a workgroup.
> I addes the pc to the domain, and applied a policy to that pc. After that
> the pc won't be on the domain anymore, so he will logon locally.
>
> I want to do this for other pc's too ..

It doesn't matter if the computer is connected to the domain or not. You
just get the user to login once when connected to the domain which will
cause a cached copy of his credentials to be stored on the PC. The user can
then logon to that computer using the cached credentials when not connected
to the network.

The only way you are going to get this to work with local accounts is to
create a loopback group policy and apply it to the OU containing the
computer account. That way the GPO will be applied to the computer, not the
user so it doesn't matter if they login locally or with domain credentials.

--
Andy.

> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Thomas,
>>
>> It sounds like you created a local policy for the system that you were
>> using
>> at that moment. It is a local policy. It will be 'local' to that
system
>> and not necessarily available to any other system.
>>
>> Are you in a networked environment ( or, let me state that better - in
an
>> Active Directory environment )? Or are you in a workgroup environment?
>>
>> Cary
>>
>> "Thomas" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>>> I made this GP msc for one pc in our domain.
>>>
>>> I want to save this msc so I can use it for other pc's.
>>>
>>> The thing is, when I open this msc, it says: 'PCNAME policy'.
>>>
>>> How can I save this msc so I can use it for another computer name?
>>> because
>>> can't change the PCNAME in the msc snap in....
>>>
>>> Do i have to work with a template or smth like that?

TRENDING THREADS