Mandatory Profile under Group Policy.

I have a mandatory porfile that I use for students that map a set of drives
for access to data and programs. I recently adding anothe drive to the list
and for some reason it will not mount as the others do. It has been more
than two weeks since I made the change and I even restarted the server. Any
tips would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Simon

Simon,

Is this mapped network drive part of the logon script that the students are
getting? I am not sure ( and please pardon my ignorance ) that a mandatory
profile makes any difference here. How are the students getting the other
mapped network drives? Do you have the logon.bat or logon.vbs file that we
can examine?

Also, what is the NOS ( server side ) and the OS ( client side ) involved?
Are you mapping network drives based on group membership?

Cary

"Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have a mandatory porfile that I use for students that map a set of
drives
> for access to data and programs. I recently adding anothe drive to the
list
> and for some reason it will not mount as the others do. It has been more
> than two weeks since I made the change and I even restarted the server.
Any
> tips would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Simon

The network drive is a part of the logon script and I've been running it for
nearly two years; mounting approx six drives. All I did was add another
drive to the existing logon.cmd file.

Win2 K Server
Win2K an XP client. Sorry I didn't provide this info in the original post; I
guess I was anxious to post.

Simon.
"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Simon,
>
> Is this mapped network drive part of the logon script that the students
> are
> getting? I am not sure ( and please pardon my ignorance ) that a
> mandatory
> profile makes any difference here. How are the students getting the other
> mapped network drives? Do you have the logon.bat or logon.vbs file that
> we
> can examine?
>
> Also, what is the NOS ( server side ) and the OS ( client side ) involved?
> Are you mapping network drives based on group membership?
>
> Cary
>
> "Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I have a mandatory porfile that I use for students that map a set of
> drives
>> for access to data and programs. I recently adding anothe drive to the
> list
>> and for some reason it will not mount as the others do. It has been more
>> than two weeks since I made the change and I even restarted the server.
> Any
>> tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Simon

Simon,

It would be very useful to see the logon.cmd that you have. You could
change the server name for and share names if you so choose. I guess the
question is: do the users have access ( at least read ) to the new shared
folder? Do you get any errors?

Do the scripts run on the WIN2000 clients but not on the WINXP clients? I
would bet that this is the case. Furthermore, if you log off and then back
on ( on the WINXP Pro systems ) I bet that it works? Try this. It is the
way that WINXP Pro works ( fast logon.... ).

HTH,

> The network drive is a part of the logon script and I've been running it
for
> nearly two years; mounting approx six drives. All I did was add another
> drive to the existing logon.cmd file.
>
> Win2 K Server
> Win2K an XP client. Sorry I didn't provide this info in the original post;
> guess I was anxious to post.
>
> Simon.
> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Simon,
> >
> > Is this mapped network drive part of the logon script that the students
> > are
> > getting? I am not sure ( and please pardon my ignorance ) that a
> > mandatory
> > profile makes any difference here. How are the students getting the
other
> > mapped network drives? Do you have the logon.bat or logon.vbs file that
> > we
> > can examine?
> >
> > Also, what is the NOS ( server side ) and the OS ( client side )
involved?
> > Are you mapping network drives based on group membership?
> >
> > Cary
> >
> > "Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a mandatory porfile that I use for students that map a set of
> > drives
> >> for access to data and programs. I recently adding anothe drive to the
> > list
> >> and for some reason it will not mount as the others do. It has been
more
> >> than two weeks since I made the change and I even restarted the server.
> > Any
> >> tips would be appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance.
> >>
> >> Simon

The last line is the one in question. The others have been working just
fine.
I have no problem mapping manually, but that's no fun.
W2k and XP behave the same.

Fikename:Students.cmd
net use S: \\Canterbury01\Canterbury$\Students$
net use P: \\Canterbury01\Canterbury$\Student_Programs
net use v: \\Canterbury01\Renaissance\RLData
net use N: \\Canterbury01\CornerStone
net use x: \\Canterbury01\Spanish
net use G: \\Canterbury01\GeoSkills\GeoSkills Intermediate

> Simon,
>
> It would be very useful to see the logon.cmd that you have. You could
> change the server name for and share names if you so choose. I guess the
> question is: do the users have access ( at least read ) to the new shared
> folder? Do you get any errors?
>
> Do the scripts run on the WIN2000 clients but not on the WINXP clients? I
> would bet that this is the case. Furthermore, if you log off and then
> back
> on ( on the WINXP Pro systems ) I bet that it works? Try this. It is the
> way that WINXP Pro works ( fast logon.... ).
>
> HTH,
>
> Cary
>
> "Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> The network drive is a part of the logon script and I've been running it
> for
>> nearly two years; mounting approx six drives. All I did was add another
>> drive to the existing logon.cmd file.
>>
>> Win2 K Server
>> Win2K an XP client. Sorry I didn't provide this info in the original
>> post;
>> guess I was anxious to post.
>>
>> Simon.
>> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Simon,
>> >
>> > Is this mapped network drive part of the logon script that the students
>> > are
>> > getting? I am not sure ( and please pardon my ignorance ) that a
>> > mandatory
>> > profile makes any difference here. How are the students getting the
> other
>> > mapped network drives? Do you have the logon.bat or logon.vbs file
>> > that
>> > we
>> > can examine?
>> >
>> > Also, what is the NOS ( server side ) and the OS ( client side )
> involved?
>> > Are you mapping network drives based on group membership?
>> >
>> > Cary
>> >
>> > "Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > drives
>> > list
> more
>> > Any

Simon,

It looks like there is a space in the middle of the word. I have never had
that before. I will test this later tonight to see if that is the problem.
The fact that you can manually map to this leads me to believe that this is
not a problem. Also, permissions should not be a problem then, either.

Do you get any errors?

"Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> said

> The last line is the one in question. The others have been working just
> fine.
> I have no problem mapping manually, but that's no fun.
> W2k and XP behave the same.
>

> net use G: \\Canterbury01\GeoSkills\GeoSkills Intermediate

You need to enclose the path in double quotes due to the space character.
eg. net use G: "\\Canterbury01\GeoSkills\GeoSkills Intermediate"

--
Andy.

Hey Simon-

Can you just share GeoSkills Intermediate as something on it's own?... or
change it to \\canterbury01\GeoSkills\GeoSkillsIntermediate (no space)?
I'm thinking that the DOS command is looking at it as a separate argument,
like it would be expecting a switch to come after GeoSkills (like
/persistent:y).

Let us know how that goes, if you can try it out

Ken

"Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The last line is the one in question. The others have been working just
> fine.
> I have no problem mapping manually, but that's no fun.
> W2k and XP behave the same.
>
> Fikename:Students.cmd
> net use S: \\Canterbury01\Canterbury$\Students$
> net use P: \\Canterbury01\Canterbury$\Student_Programs
> net use v: \\Canterbury01\Renaissance\RLData
> net use N: \\Canterbury01\CornerStone
> net use x: \\Canterbury01\Spanish
> net use G: \\Canterbury01\GeoSkills\GeoSkills Intermediate
>

> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Simon,
>>
>> It would be very useful to see the logon.cmd that you have. You could
>> change the server name for and share names if you so choose. I guess the
>> question is: do the users have access ( at least read ) to the new shared
>> folder? Do you get any errors?
>>
>> Do the scripts run on the WIN2000 clients but not on the WINXP clients?
>> would bet that this is the case. Furthermore, if you log off and then
>> back
>> on ( on the WINXP Pro systems ) I bet that it works? Try this. It is
>> the
>> way that WINXP Pro works ( fast logon.... ).
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Cary
>>
>> "Simon Lew" <blsmht@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> The network drive is a part of the logon script and I've been running it
>> for
>>> nearly two years; mounting approx six drives. All I did was add another
>>> drive to the existing logon.cmd file.
>>>
>>> Win2 K Server
>>> Win2K an XP client. Sorry I didn't provide this info in the original
>>> post;
>>> guess I was anxious to post.
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message