Lag spikes that last up to 15-20 seconds

blinkbcw

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hello, i play World of Warcraft very often, but every 5 minutes or so, i experience a huge lag spike, causing me to not be able to do anything for about 20 seconds. My computer is hooked directly up to the internet through ethernet cable. My wireless card is pretty nice, above the requirements. It is the Radeon X700. Pro Could it be that i dont have much room left on my hard drive?

Please get back to me ASAP.
Thank you for your time.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The lags can be caused if your over heating either the CPU or GPU. Does the lags happen right of way or after you have been playing awhile? Do you experience these during normal web surfing.

mobopc

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Check to see if you got any spyware who would hog your machine from time to time to spam somebody else :)

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
You need to determine if the lag is due to your PC or the network itself. Try running multiping in the background to see if the latency is actually jumping when you experience lag. A lot of times people think their Internet connection is flaking out, but it's really the PC itself slowing down.

You could also have a look at task manager to see what kind of background processes you have running. If the lag is pretty consistent every five minutes, then it could be some service you have running on your computer that's performing some action every X minutes, and thus slowing things down.