trying to fix low memory warning

I get a message that I am dangerously low on memory and that I should delete
unecessary files. I have tried but can't seem to delete anymore. And am not
sure what might happen even if I do.

After reading Instructions on setting up XP, I created a boot partition with
2.0 GB -- the advice being that windows was about 600MB and that should be
sufficient. Windows folder is now 1.73 GB (I assume because of upgrades)and
other untransferable folders make up over 200MB. The harddrive has over 25
GB free in the data partition and over 5 GB unallocated space. I can't
backup the whole boot partition - I assume because I don't have enough
memory. I also can't backup the whole data partition either. The boot floppy
doesn't have everything either. I have decided I need to reinstall XP and
just take my losses, resize the boot partition.
Help....

2G for XP boot partition was not a wise decision from the get-go. But you
know that now. ;-)

There are 3rd party tools that will allow you to resize partitions on the
fly. If you go to http://www.bootitng.com you can download a fully
functional trail version of BootItNG. It need not be installed in order to
be used. You can run it directly from CD or floppy and it will allow to
rearrange things non-destructively. Since you're of a mind to micro-manage
partition sizes, it's well worth the cost.

--
Walter Clayton

"bbbrain" <bbbrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get a message that I am dangerously low on memory and that I should
>delete
> unecessary files. I have tried but can't seem to delete anymore. And am
> not
> sure what might happen even if I do.
>
> After reading Instructions on setting up XP, I created a boot partition
> with
> 2.0 GB -- the advice being that windows was about 600MB and that should be
> sufficient. Windows folder is now 1.73 GB (I assume because of
> upgrades)and
> other untransferable folders make up over 200MB. The harddrive has over
> 25
> GB free in the data partition and over 5 GB unallocated space. I can't
> backup the whole boot partition - I assume because I don't have enough
> memory. I also can't backup the whole data partition either. The boot
> floppy
> doesn't have everything either. I have decided I need to reinstall XP
> and
> just take my losses, resize the boot partition.
> Help....

Resizing the partition as Walter suggests in an obvious solution but you
may also have some other options.

Start by selecting Start, Disk CleanUp and Remove Temporary Internet
Files and on the More Options tab select System Restore to remove all
but the latest restore points.

You may be able to move items from one partition to the other

To move programmes use Add / Remove Programs in Start, Control Panel,
Add / Remove Programs to uninstall programmes. Create a Programs
Directory on your D drive and reinstall there.

Create a My Documents folder in another partition and copy ( not move )
the contents of My Documents to your new folder. Then delete the files
in your My Documents folder ( if you encounter problems deleting use
Shift + Delete to bypass the Recycle Bin ). You will also need to
change Default File locations in the Microsoft Office programmes you
use. For Word go to Tools, Options, File Locations, highlight Documents,
click on Modify and change file path. For Excel go to Tools, Options,
General and change default file path.

For Temporary Internet Files select Start, Control Panel, Internet
Options, Temporary Internet Files. Settings, Move Folder.

To move the Outlook Express Store Folder select in Outlook Express
Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder, Change.

http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/files/store.htm

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bbbrain wrote:

>I get a message that I am dangerously low on memory and that I should delete
>unecessary files. I have tried but can't seem to delete anymore. And am not
>sure what might happen even if I do.

I think you mean low disk space - that is *not* to be confused with
'mameory' - RAM from which things are running, please

First use
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup
In particular use the More Options to delete all but the most recent
restore point to get out of the immediate hole

2GB is *far* too low to run XP successfully. You need at least 5,
preferably rather more. With data on a separate partition, I use about
8 (though that is in part programs in a separate partition)

Only following up the very fine advice previously state here: your first
choice of 2 GB for the OS partition ignored the need of 2 GB for the page
file alone. Therefore, the need for a much larger partition, to run XP, as
Alex Nichol stated.

I concur with the requests / suggestions to use a partition manager to
resize the OS partition. This avoids the OS reinstallation.
BootIT will do it. Just use the floppies to resize, and don't install
BootIt on the HD, to avoid installing the boot manager also, if you so
choose.

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"bbbrain" <bbbrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I get a message that I am dangerously low on memory and that I should
delete
> unecessary files. I have tried but can't seem to delete anymore. And am
not
> sure what might happen even if I do.
>
> After reading Instructions on setting up XP, I created a boot partition
with
> 2.0 GB -- the advice being that windows was about 600MB and that should be
> sufficient. Windows folder is now 1.73 GB (I assume because of
upgrades)and
> other untransferable folders make up over 200MB. The harddrive has over
25
> GB free in the data partition and over 5 GB unallocated space. I can't
> backup the whole boot partition - I assume because I don't have enough
> memory. I also can't backup the whole data partition either. The boot
floppy
> doesn't have everything either. I have decided I need to reinstall XP
and
> just take my losses, resize the boot partition.
> Help....

Jack

You should not need a 2 gb pagefile. That's way over the top!

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Only following up the very fine advice previously state here: your
> first
> choice of 2 GB for the OS partition ignored the need of 2 GB for the
> page
> file alone. Therefore, the need for a much larger partition, to run
> XP, as
> Alex Nichol stated.
>
> I concur with the requests / suggestions to use a partition manager to
> resize the OS partition. This avoids the OS reinstallation.
> BootIT will do it. Just use the floppies to resize, and don't install
> BootIt on the HD, to avoid installing the boot manager also, if you so
> choose.

> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "bbbrain" <bbbrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I get a message that I am dangerously low on memory and that I should
> delete
>> unecessary files. I have tried but can't seem to delete anymore.
>> And am
> not
>> sure what might happen even if I do.
>>
>> After reading Instructions on setting up XP, I created a boot
>> partition
> with
>> 2.0 GB -- the advice being that windows was about 600MB and that
>> should be
>> sufficient. Windows folder is now 1.73 GB (I assume because of
> upgrades)and
>> other untransferable folders make up over 200MB. The harddrive has
>> over
> 25
>> GB free in the data partition and over 5 GB unallocated space. I
>> can't
>> backup the whole boot partition - I assume because I don't have
>> enough
>> memory. I also can't backup the whole data partition either. The boot
> floppy
>> doesn't have everything either. I have decided I need to reinstall
>> XP
> and
>> just take my losses, resize the boot partition.
>> Help....

I beg to differ. If the installed memory is small, and the executing apps
demand such memory space, and the page file cannot enlarge to meet the
demand, the system will crash.
I am happy to be corrected if wrong, but that is my understanding.

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> Jack
>
> You should not need a 2 gb pagefile. That's way over the top!
>
> --
>

> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> > Only following up the very fine advice previously state here: your
> > first
> > choice of 2 GB for the OS partition ignored the need of 2 GB for the
> > page
> > file alone. Therefore, the need for a much larger partition, to run
> > XP, as
> > Alex Nichol stated.
> >
> > I concur with the requests / suggestions to use a partition manager to
> > resize the OS partition. This avoids the OS reinstallation.
> > BootIT will do it. Just use the floppies to resize, and don't install
> > BootIt on the HD, to avoid installing the boot manager also, if you so
> > choose.
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "bbbrain" <bbbrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I get a message that I am dangerously low on memory and that I should
> > delete
> >> unecessary files. I have tried but can't seem to delete anymore.
> >> And am
> > not
> >> sure what might happen even if I do.
> >>
> >> After reading Instructions on setting up XP, I created a boot
> >> partition
> > with
> >> 2.0 GB -- the advice being that windows was about 600MB and that
> >> should be
> >> sufficient. Windows folder is now 1.73 GB (I assume because of
> > upgrades)and
> >> other untransferable folders make up over 200MB. The harddrive has
> >> over
> > 25
> >> GB free in the data partition and over 5 GB unallocated space. I
> >> can't
> >> backup the whole boot partition - I assume because I don't have
> >> enough
> >> memory. I also can't backup the whole data partition either. The boot
> > floppy
> >> doesn't have everything either. I have decided I need to reinstall
> >> XP
> > and
> >> just take my losses, resize the boot partition.
> >> Help....

Jack

Whilst we do not know what is the installed RAM memory in this case the
amount to produce a 2 gb page for a normal user would need to be well
below the recommended minimum. The solution would be to add RAM memory,
subject to any motherboard limitations. If the page was 2 gb then that
is unacceptable and one should be looking to reduce it's size not
suggesting a larger hard disk / partition to accommodate it!

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gerry Cornell wrote:
>> Jack
>>
>> Whilst we do not know what is the installed RAM memory in this case the
>> amount to produce a 2 gb page for a normal user would need to be well
>> below the recommended minimum. The solution would be to add RAM memory,
>> subject to any motherboard limitations. If the page was 2 gb then that
>> is unacceptable and one should be looking to reduce it's size not
>> suggesting a larger hard disk / partition to accommodate it!

1GB memory, 120GB HDD. Windows chose to make a page file of 1536 min 3072
max.
I am seeing this a a viable solution to a page file and no reason to change
it. My Linux
box with about the same hardware uses a 1.7 swap file. These arguments
about the page
file are mostly moot.

I agree. Let the system manage the pagefile.

Jack E Martinelli wrote:

>I beg to differ. If the installed memory is small, and the executing apps
>demand such memory space, and the page file cannot enlarge to meet the
>demand, the system will crash.

If you try with a small RAM, even 256, and need that much active page
file for a program, performance is almost sure to be abominable. For
that there is no substitute for more actual RAM.

I completely agree with the suggestion to add additional physical memory if
the page file is so large.
The performance increase is unmistakable.
However, not all users, in all parts of the world, can do so easily, for
financial or supply reasons.

If the choice is between using a large page file, even if performance is
dismal, to use the application successfully, or limiting page file size
unnecessarily, and crashing the system, which will most users choose?