Sign in with
Your question

So how do I figure out what I blew up on my P5B?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2007 4:15:06 AM

If I even did....

I got all my parts today, see here.

I put it all together, without the tuniq, I'll deal with that after I get it all set up. I did put the cooler on the GPU. I double then triple checked all the connections, they were all good. The first time I go to power it on, I plug in my UPS, plug in the PSU (switch off), switch it on, no problems so far, then I push the power button on the case.

Pause for dramatic effect.

I hear a pop and see a bright blue flash near the back of the case, around the wifi card area, the fans in the case and the cpu spin up for a second, then spin back down. Then, with no action on my part and immediately after this, it starts up and boots normally (well, as normal as the first boot can be, into bios).

I looked around can't see anything obviously melted or blown up. There was no magic smoke, and no dreaded electronic burning smell.

I've started it a few different ways since then in a quest to get XP installed. (Want to help?), and there has been nothing wrong. I rechecked all the connections and can't find anything wrong, but a couple of the MB screws were a couple of turns loose (are these used to ground the MB? it looks like they might be).

So is there a good way for me to be halfway sure something didn't fry, or do I just have to wait to see what doesn't work?

Thanks

More about : figure blew p5b

January 23, 2007 5:15:55 AM

take the board out and check its backside. Chances are - you shorted something there, if it touched the case or mounting points.
January 23, 2007 5:34:49 AM

There are three "larger" transistors (MOSFET) located under the wifi card, check there first.
Related resources
January 23, 2007 12:36:58 PM

Quote:
DO NOT try to power the system on again till after you tear the whole thing down and inspect all the boards for burn marks.

I wouldn't have, except it restarted on it's own, I did not have to do anything to restart it. When it started up normally, I set up the bios, shut it down, and rechecked everything again. When I couldn't find anything, I powered it back up. I didn't tear it down completely. I will do that tonight.

Thanks for the help guys.
January 23, 2007 3:49:27 PM

usually if mosfets or capacitors go, they smell and smoke. The blue flash says short, then something blew. I'd RMA the board.
January 23, 2007 6:11:18 PM

I've seen the blue flash from a motherboard twice before, once from a capacitor and the second time from a MOSFET. The MOSFET failure did not disable the board because it was on a redundant circuit, instead it reduced the amount of power available on that circuit.

I never found a replacement MOSFET, and the added load could have blown other transistors, so I retired the board.
January 23, 2007 6:46:35 PM

Well, I tore it down, checked over everything, and can't find anything. No burn marks, no melted parts, nothing. I put it all back together and it started fine, I'm installing XP now and I'll check to see if everything works.

Or should I forget it and RMA it?
January 23, 2007 8:28:53 PM

not yet, still installing
January 24, 2007 1:02:42 AM

both LAN ports and the wifi works
all 4 USB ports work
sound works (at least the "front" output does)
no way to test the firewire or esata ports

Think I lucked out?

PS, this post is from the new system!
January 24, 2007 1:13:39 AM

thanks for the help
January 26, 2007 8:05:59 PM

Even if everything seems to be working well I'd consider RMA if you don't mind the wait. It will be easier to RMA now, than it would be if a problem develops a little later.

If there is a problem it may only show up after some future event such as adding a new card, changing processor, using the firewire or who knows what or when.

Don't get me wrong they may be nothing wrong but sometimes better safe than sorry.
February 3, 2007 12:53:22 AM

Well, it was the firewire port on the I/O panel in the rear, it's dead. The front one works.

So now I have two questions:
1. I have already taken the tinfoil ASUS logo thing off the NB heatsink, any chance for an RMA?

2. If the answer to the above is no, what are the chances it took the eSATA with it? I don't have a device to test this with.

Shoulda sucked it up and waited the extra time it would have taken to RMA the board originally, but too late now, another lesson learned.
February 3, 2007 12:56:41 AM

RMA it anyway -- what have you got to lose from where you are already at? Hopefully they won't notice.
February 3, 2007 1:01:51 AM

Would they send my original board back if they deny it?

Right now I am only minorly inconvenienced by the lack of one firewire port, though the loss of the eSATA would hack me off.
February 3, 2007 3:35:43 AM

The firewire and eSata today, but when you fry components, other stuff will go later. I'd definitely get it exchanged. How long have you had it? Sometimes, if you send it to the manufacturer they'll repair the board for a fee, assuming the damage was your fault. It usually runs $25-$35, so when you add in postage, you have to weigh whether it's worth it. If anybody denys warranty, you'll get your original board back.
February 9, 2007 12:04:25 AM

Thankfully, Newegg has approved my RMA, hopefully it will ship soon and I can be up and running again.
February 9, 2007 12:10:28 AM

Yippee. Good luck.
February 14, 2007 2:05:14 AM

just a final update, new MB arrived today, put it back together and we're up and running, no pops, and both firewires work

yipee!
February 14, 2007 2:14:03 AM

Good for you. Thanks for the update. Happy trails.
!