Coupla SP questions

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

This is relating to the original SP campaign.

1) I picked up a child's top somewhere in Chapter 3. Anyone know what it's
for?

2) This is probably a FAQ. Is there any way to convince Aribeth to
surrender in Chapter 4, if you're playing a female PC?

--
Hong Ooi | "I like snowballs."
hong@zipworld.com.au | -- CA

Hong Ooi wrote:

> This is relating to the original SP campaign.
>
> 1) I picked up a child's top somewhere in Chapter 3. Anyone know what it's
> for?

Playing with.

Spoilers for the end of Chapter Two of the OC of NWN.

> 2) This is probably a FAQ. Is there any way to convince Aribeth to
> surrender in Chapter 4, if you're playing a female PC?

Have an incredible amount of Persuade, and tell her she can decide her
future, rather than trying to convince her she hasn't changed that much.

"Hong Ooi" <hong@zipworld.com.au> wrote in message
> This is relating to the original SP campaign.
>
> 1) I picked up a child's top somewhere in Chapter 3. Anyone know what it's
> for?

Entertaining childern while you do the laundry, etc...

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:19:07 GMT, Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

>Spoilers for the end of Chapter Two of the OC of NWN.
>
>20
>
>19
>
>18
>
>17
>
>16
>
>15
>
>14
>
>13
>
>12
>
>11
>
>10
>
>9
>
>8
>
>7
>
>6
>
>5
>
>4
>
>3
>
>2
>
>1
>

>> 2) This is probably a FAQ. Is there any way to convince Aribeth to
>> surrender in Chapter 4, if you're playing a female PC?
>
>Have an incredible amount of Persuade, and tell her she can decide her
>future, rather than trying to convince her she hasn't changed that much.

How incredible are we talking here? +20? +30?

--

Hong Ooi wrote:

> How incredible are we talking here? +20? +30?

The script says that your skill rank plus a d20 roll has to be equal to or
higher than a value which is calculated from the hit dice of the opponent.
For this particular lady the value is 31, which means you will need a skill
rank of at least 11 to succeed (if you pick a roll of 20, of course).

Hans

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:38:50 +0200, "Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Hong Ooi wrote:
>
>> How incredible are we talking here? +20? +30?
>
>The script says that your skill rank plus a d20 roll has to be equal to or
>higher than a value which is calculated from the hit dice of the opponent.
>For this particular lady the value is 31, which means you will need a skill
>rank of at least 11 to succeed (if you pick a roll of 20, of course).

That doesn't seem very incredible... IIRC the engine assumes you take 20
(ie, roll a 20) for all skill checks when you're not in combat or otherwise
distracted. So you could make that check with a Persuade of 11.

--

Hong Ooi a écrit :
> That doesn't seem very incredible... IIRC the engine assumes you take 20
> (ie, roll a 20) for all skill checks when you're not in combat or otherwise
> distracted. So you could make that check with a Persuade of 11.

Not sure about that point. It seems that the games engine assume that
you take 20 IF you are able to make as many attemps as you want. Not
sure that uyou can make as many attemps as you want when talking to
peoples...

Vincent

Hong Ooi wrote:

>>> How incredible are we talking here? +20? +30?
>>
>> The script says that your skill rank plus a d20 roll has to be equal
>> to or higher than a value which is calculated from the hit dice of
>> the opponent. For this particular lady the value is 31, which means
>> you will need a skill rank of at least 11 to succeed (if you pick a
>> roll of 20, of course).
>>

> That doesn't seem very incredible... IIRC the engine assumes you take
> 20 (ie, roll a 20) for all skill checks when you're not in combat or
> otherwise distracted. So you could make that check with a Persuade of
> 11.

You compare different things. The skill checks used by search or healing
etc. are hard coded and handled by the engine in the way you mentioned. But
this roll is initiated by a script, and these are always executed (it's
simply a math function).

Hans

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:39:36 +0200, "Hans Wein" <hwein_nospam_@gmx.net>
wrote:

>>> The script says that your skill rank plus a d20 roll has to be equal
>>> to or higher than a value which is calculated from the hit dice of
>>> the opponent. For this particular lady the value is 31, which means
>>> you will need a skill rank of at least 11 to succeed (if you pick a
>>> roll of 20, of course).
>>>

>> That doesn't seem very incredible... IIRC the engine assumes you take
>> 20 (ie, roll a 20) for all skill checks when you're not in combat or
>> otherwise distracted. So you could make that check with a Persuade of
>> 11.
>
>You compare different things. The skill checks used by search or healing
>etc. are hard coded and handled by the engine in the way you mentioned. But
>this roll is initiated by a script, and these are always executed (it's
>simply a math function).

A skill is a skill, surely. Persuade is a skill, just like Spot, Listen,
Search, etc; its success/failure is determined by a d20 roll + bonus vs a
set DC. There's nothing as far as I can tell to differentiate it from any
other type of skill use.

I just did that encounter with my ftr/monk/weapon master with Persuade of
+14, and succeeded in getting Aribeth to surrender. If it was a random die
roll, I'd need a 17+ on d20 to manage this. To see if it was random, I
replayed it another 4 times, and succeeded on 4 out of the total 5 times
(and I suspect I picked a wrong option the one time it didn't work). Seems
fairly conclusive to me, assuming the die roller isn't screwed.

--

Hong Ooi wrote:
> A skill is a skill, surely. Persuade is a skill, just like Spot, Listen,
> Search, etc; its success/failure is determined by a d20 roll + bonus vs a
> set DC. There's nothing as far as I can tell to differentiate it from any
> other type of skill use.

No, Hans is right. Some skill checks are built into the engine, like
when you take 20 (unless in combat) during disabling a trap, using a
heal kit, etc.

However many are also coded in NWScript (saving throws, skill checks in
conversations, etc). In almost all cases, a d20 roll is used. In the
the check in question, the AutoDC function from nw_i0_plot is used,
which is indeed random. However, the Official Campaign rarely (if ever)
records the results of these after the fact if you fail, so if you can
make your way back to that same node in the conversation, you can try
again with no penalty.

Also, one of the previous posters made an error about AutoDC, it is not
based on the level of the person you are talking to, but on the level of
the PC talking. It was designed to scale to the level of the PC, so a
higher level character will have a higher DC than a lower level one. Or
should I say misdesigned - I have problems with AutoDC and I would never
use it.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

everlast wrote:
> Also, one of the previous posters made an error about AutoDC, it is not
> based on the level of the person you are talking to, but on the level of
> the PC talking. It was designed to scale to the level of the PC, so a
> higher level character will have a higher DC than a lower level one. Or
> should I say misdesigned - I have problems with AutoDC and I would never
> use it.

BTW, easy to make that mistake as the comments at the top of function as
well as the code itself lend support to the idea it is based on the
NPC's level, but in practice whenever it is called from conversations in
the OC, GetPCSpeaker() is being passed in as oTarget.
--

everlast wrote:

> Also, one of the previous posters made an error about AutoDC, it is
> not based on the level of the person you are talking to, but on the
> level of the PC talking. It was designed to scale to the level of
> the PC, so a higher level character will have a higher DC than a
> lower level one. Or should I say misdesigned - I have problems with
> AutoDC and I would never use it.

Hmm. The AutoDC function is a bit confusing, but the deciding line goes as
follows:

int nLevel = GetHitDice(OBJECT_SELF);

This will return the hit dice of the object which calls the function, and
because it is called from a conversation, the calling object is the NPC and
not the player. Later on, nLevel is modified by a formula like this:

case DC_MEDIUM: nTest = (3 / nLevel + nLevel) - abs( (nLevel/2) -2);
break;

and increased by 10:

int nDC = nTest + 10 - nCharmMod ;

Finally, the decision is made, where oTarget is the PC:

if (GetSkillRank(nSkill, oTarget) + d20() >= (nDC) )
{
return TRUE;
}

Hans

everlast wrote:
> BTW, easy to make that mistake as the comments at the top of function as
> well as the code itself lend support to the idea it is based on the
> NPC's level, but in practice whenever it is called from conversations in
> the OC, GetPCSpeaker() is being passed in as oTarget.

Ignore this post. Upon a closer read, the original poster is right
about AutoDC. I read it wrong over a year ago and had never looked at
it again, the DC is indeed based on the NPC, not the PC.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."
- Tip from Doom3 Manual

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:05:07 +0200, Vincent Guichard
<vg.bleuciel.sa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Hong Ooi a écrit :
>> That doesn't seem very incredible... IIRC the engine assumes you take 20
>> (ie, roll a 20) for all skill checks when you're not in combat or otherwise
>> distracted. So you could make that check with a Persuade of 11.
>>
>Not sure about that point. It seems that the games engine assume that
>you take 20 IF you are able to make as many attemps as you want. Not
>sure that uyou can make as many attemps as you want when talking to
>peoples...

NWN doesn't seem to differentiate between taking 10 and taking 20. I can't
find any mention of it in the manual, at least.

--
Hong Ooi | "I like snowballs."
hong@zipworld.com.au | -- CA
http://www.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/ |
Sydney, Australia |

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

You appeal to her honourable, noble nature. The conversation is quite
tricky to handle - I had to try it a few times to get the right combination
of responses.

I think the child's top is just 'atmosphere'.

Best wishes
Maxon

Hans Wein wrote:

> my test character with a skill level of 17 had to roll more than 14
> to succeed.

Oops, more than 13... (>=14)

Hans