XP start up program disabling

Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that automatically
start when you boot the computer. Older versions of Windows allowed for this
in an easy way. I can find the list of programs that automatically start up
when XP boots, but there is no allowance to turn specific start-up programs
on-or-off....How does one do this with XP?

Thanks for the help and support

irzapper
02/12/05
4 answers Last reply
More about start program disabling

    Start->run->msconfig [enter]

    Go to the startup tab and uncheck what you want to disable. Use care that
    you don't disable essential things.

    Avoid the services tab like the plague unless you fully understand how to
    restore disabled services from either recovery console or other tool or have
    a full state backup if you disable the wrong thing.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in

    > Start->run->msconfig [enter]
    >
    > Go to the startup tab and uncheck what you want to disable. Use care
    > that you don't disable essential things.
    <SNIP>

    also, before un-checking a program to start with MSConfig, look within the
    program itself, usually under preferences or options, for an option to load
    when windows starts. disable it here first. if there is none, then disable
    its startup in MSConfig.

    In news:1141E695-A365-4A41-BF86-B12093BE9F7A@microsoft.com,
    Robert <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Could anyone explain to me how to turnoff programs in XP that
    > automatically start when you boot the computer. Older versions
    > of
    > Windows allowed for this in an easy way. I can find the list
    > of
    > programs that automatically start up when XP boots, but there
    > is no
    > allowance to turn specific start-up programs on-or-off....How
    > does
    > one do this with XP?

    Answered in another newsgroup. Please do not send the same
    message separately to more than one newsgroup. Doing so just
    fragments the thread, so someone who answers in one newsgroup
    doesn't get to see answers from others in another newsgroup.

    If you must send the same message to more than one newsgroup,
    please do so by crossposting (but only to a *few* related
    newsgroups).

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Another convenient way to do the same is with the free program "Startup
    Control Panel" from Mike Lin [www.mlin.net].

    "DanS" <t.h.i.s.n.t.h.a.t@a.d.e.l.p.h.i.a..n.e.t> wrote in message
    > "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in
    >
    >> Start->run->msconfig [enter]
    >>
    >> Go to the startup tab and uncheck what you want to disable. Use care
    >> that you don't disable essential things.
    > <SNIP>
    >
    > also, before un-checking a program to start with MSConfig, look within the
    > program itself, usually under preferences or options, for an option to
    > load
    > when windows starts. disable it here first. if there is none, then disable
    > its startup in MSConfig.

Microsoft Windows XP