What's the point of locking down via GPO when users can st..

How? Via the Help and Support Center...

Even with all the standard GPO settings to remove Help, Run, access to
the C: drive, the user can still access the Help center via any
Explorer type interface (such as the one we allow for viewing their My
Documents folder).

Once into Help, you can call anything you like - command prompts,
media player, games (OK so we could remove the executables, but that's
not my point here...).

I know this is a back door method, and so won't affect most users, but
then my policy isn't really tring to lock out that group of people -
it's the DIY Home Computer experts I'm trying to block!

Any thoughts or comments? Hopefully, it's just that I've missed off
something that will resolve this situation, else, what's the point of
setting up and maintaining policy other than for the aesthetics of
user's desktops?

Cheers

Rob

Used to work for a fortune 50 company and we had to lock machines down in
airplane maintenance bases around the world using NT. We ran into that very
issue. What did we do? Removed the help executables.

"Rob Savage" <info_removethis_@robsavage.com> wrote in message
> How? Via the Help and Support Center...
>
> Even with all the standard GPO settings to remove Help, Run, access to
> the C: drive, the user can still access the Help center via any
> Explorer type interface (such as the one we allow for viewing their My
> Documents folder).
>
> Once into Help, you can call anything you like - command prompts,
> media player, games (OK so we could remove the executables, but that's
> not my point here...).
>
> I know this is a back door method, and so won't affect most users, but
> then my policy isn't really tring to lock out that group of people -
> it's the DIY Home Computer experts I'm trying to block!
>
> Any thoughts or comments? Hopefully, it's just that I've missed off
> something that will resolve this situation, else, what's the point of
> setting up and maintaining policy other than for the aesthetics of
> user's desktops?
>
> Cheers
>
> Rob

TRENDING THREADS