I just went HDTV - bunch of newbie questions and nostalgia

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 24, 2004 2:28:42 AM

Howdy!

Over two years of lusting for that crisp wide image came
true last Saturday when the wife and I bought a Philips 30PW862H.

WOW! With the Brighthouse Pace box (Tampa Bay) we've got a
few HD stations, a good start. Just my luck there was a chick flick
on last night ;)

Got a bit nostalgic remembering back to 1st grade when the
folks bought our first color tv, the old B&W UHF converter and all
sent down the basement. Dad made us all leave the family room when he
adjusted the thing for the first time. He was so proud when he had us
come in to watch the news in Living Color. Walter Cronkite was green.
For over a month I thought he was from Mars...

Anyway how long did it take you to get used to the
wider/crisper image? When I watch anything I can't get 'into' the
show. I find myself watching/grading the image not the contents.

Does anyone have any idea when they will turn on the DVI
plug on the cable box (Brighthouse/Pinellas)? I would like to see the
difference (is there much?).

Take Care,
Stev
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 24, 2004 10:23:30 AM

> Anyway how long did it take you to get used to the
> wider/crisper image? When I watch anything I can't get 'into' the
> show. I find myself watching/grading the image not the contents.

I've had HD for more than a year, and I'm still awed by it all. I
often find myself watching the mating rituals of the 3-toed sloth just
because it's in HD :-)

BTW, Voom! is the way to go for HD. LOTS of content.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 26, 2004 4:19:02 AM

Yes, HDTV can be awesome. You will find that INHD on cable puts out the best
quality of image by far. I don't know how they do it, but their image is
sharper, with better contrast than Discovery, HBO or any of the networks HD
signal. They must have better film to digital conversion technology than
anyone else.

And I would not expect DVI to give you much better video quality than
component. Yes, it avoids one D/A conversion, but a high quality HDTV will
do this with little loss.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
May 30, 2004 8:34:19 PM

I live in St. Pete and really enjoy the 12 Bright House HD stations on my
Sony 42 inch Wega LCD. They just added TNTHD last week. That was a nice
surprise. We've got CBS, ABC, Fox -- all the major networks, except NBC. If
they would just add NBC and also ESPN, plus make DVRs available that record
HD, that would hold me over for years with no complaints. I agree with the
others that the HDnet channels are particularly awesome. I frequently turn
to one of those channels, turn the volume off and listen to my favorite CDs
while watching the amazing pictures. The other HD channels are great too --
make no mistake about it.

!