molinaalexis

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hi all, I have 2 cable modems, and my cable speed is 9 mbites/s, both cable modems are terayon.

I wonder if putting a cable splitter and geting both ready and connected to the pc, windows xp pro would be able to get a download stream through both of them, or just one, let's say getting a file from an ftp, or fttp source..

will it double the speed or would it be just 9 mbits/s???

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I'm going to assume that your cable company knows that you have two modems. What you need to find out from them is if each modem has it's own 9mbps or if the two modems are sharing that bandwidth. If each modem is capable of receiving 9mbps simultaneously, then there are ways you could combine it, such as a dual WAN router. You may be able to just connect both to your PC and set two default routes with the same metric, I've never tried that though. It's important to remember that you can't split a single connection over two interfaces. Therefore if you're downloading a file with HTTP, it'll max out one connection and the other won't be doing anything. If you use a download accelerator that uses multiple HTTP connections, then it will use both connections.