Need a LOT of help! pc just melted

chrisc3

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Ok guys, i know this site has some genius's and i require your assistance! My current Desktop PC just died on me (officially) and i'm writing this on my laptop knowing that i need to buy a new system since my PC randomly shut off, smells bad and the CPU is burning hot.

The last time i upgraded anything on my PC was when AMD Athlon 64 bit chips were JUST coming out and cost a fortune. I had purchased an AMD 3200+ with 512mb dual channel and an Asus A7NBX-E deluxe motherboard. Other specs i can think of:
ATI Radeon 9600XT video card
530W power supply

hmm yea thats about it

Ever since that date, i have been out of tune with recent technology and need to upgrade (fast). Im a gamer, not hardcore and dont need all the insane of insane videocards, but i play MMORPGS, counterstrike, warcraft and such.. With a budget of roughly 800-1000$CAN, what would i be able to get? Im supposing my harddrives, videocards, and everything else should be re-usable?

i appreciate ALL POSTS. Thanks!

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Smells bad eh? My work computer also smelled bad once. Turned out that the company we ordered from, specifically the assembly team - didnt remove the protective coating on the base of the heatsink )).
but i digress...

keep the keyboard, mouse, power supply, case, harddrives.

You'd have to upgrade the Videocard however, the CPU and the ram .
A popular combination on the forums seems to be the following:

C2D E6300 or 6400,
Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard
Tuniq Tower Heatsink
and some RAM (800 for those bent on overclocking) or 533-667 for mild or no overclocks.

As for the video: its up to you coz I don't know what camp (ATI or NV) you belong to. Just don't throw out more than CAD300 on it.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
It really depends what actually has died.

It's possible that the PSU has gone and to be honest I'd tell you to buy a new one anyway, it's just not worth the risk.

Other than that I'd agree with ZozZoz about specs.