Sign in with
Your question

is it just me or does the realtek HD on the 680i rock?

Last response: in Components
January 23, 2007 7:27:49 AM

So I tried out the on board sound on my evga nvidia 680i board. It sounds really good. I have to admit. It has nice bass, very crisp and clean sounding and its very very loud compared to my previous nforce 4 chipset realtek audio.

I only have an audigy 2 to compare it to, and to me it sounds identical. I am using logitech thx certified speakers. Is creative in trouble or is it? it seems integrated audio is catching up.

More about : realtek 680i rock

January 25, 2007 11:51:47 PM

The sound doesn't compare to a good sound card (for one thing, the onboard only supports up to EAX2 while Creative Laps is at EAX5). And more importantly, the onboard eats up CPU and RAM. Important if you are a gamer.

Of course, Creative Labs or Nvidia has effed something up and the two won't work together without painfully annoying and impossible to tolerate crackling and popping for what seems like most users, so onboard is one of the only few options.
January 26, 2007 6:42:15 AM

Huh, well I don't agree. With a core 2 duo and 2 gb of ram, I hardly thing the on board sound is going to hurt anything. I mean unless you are a real hi fi kind of guy with 1k dollar speakers I don't see how you could hear the difference. as for the pop and hiss. I am not talkinga bout past on board sounds chips here that are quiet have no bass and have little pops.

This sound card is loud, has good bass and was free. It also has equalizer functions with all the 3d sound goodies. Also creative still thinks they are some kind of master. Maybe that is why they are getting beat up by realtek? I mean why do you think there is no creative integrated sound chips in any motherboards?

Who uses eax5? Heck I haven't heard of anything using eax4. I mean short of unreal tournament having echo's if youwalk into a bathroom or something, what games supports it and uses it well? I think eax is dead and the game engine itself is starting to provide all those effects.

So um yeah, creative is in trouble. I give them another 5 years before their pushing daisies or bought out by nvidia or someone else that is doing well.

They are just too greedy and obviously its not nvidias fault they didn't work together on something. Obvoiusly realtek had something more to offer and it sounds good to me.
Related resources
January 26, 2007 7:10:57 AM

REALITY CHECK NEEDED!!!!!!!!!

onboard sound will "hurt" you experience. period. when yor overlocking/gaming, the last thing you want is onboard sound eating up your cpu cyles. lets get this straigh - onboard with no eq, effect or 3d will use 2-5% cpu on a modern core 2 duop with 1> gig of ram. turn on the eq, 3d positional audio or just 7.1 surround sound, that already abt 10% usage. compare that to a dedicated turtel ebach/creative/m audio's <1%. they have dedicated sound coprocessors that take the load off the cpu.

onboard sound =
-higher distortion figures
-background hiss/hum
-background whirring/clicks from interference from hdd, opotical drives, fans
-the built in eqs and 3d audio SUCK!

------------

sheez, i think tis bloody obvious why there are no creative chips in motherboards. they spend millions on r&d perfecting their chips, to hav them, stuffed in an unideal, noisy environment, which undoes all there work. and anyway, putting there chips in would drive motherboard prices up way high. the average n00b cant tell the difference and will go for the low cost solution.

eax5? hmmm lyk every decent game...
ut doesn't have bathrooms init....
dno what you've been smoking, but i want some

----------------

have a try at this, get your "thx cert spkrs" hook em up to onboard, and push every volume control up to max, boost on. here the hiss/hum/whirring?

try that with a dedicated and properly installed creative sound card - quietness

lol and i dont mean with a ISA soundblaster live either. a decent audigy 2/4 platinum/x-fi
January 26, 2007 9:15:42 AM

Creative offers far too many features and options for a number of purposes for them to be challenged by onboard. Not to mention the fact that all the cool positional awareness stuff supported by games is in the card and barely passable in the onboard. And most people don't want to be stuck with whatever comes in the onboard sound system. I think the other way around is likely to happen. Just like motherboards have ceased shipping with onboard video, they will cease shipping with onboard audio. The enthusiest wants to decide what components they use -- not Abit, Asus or someone else.

Additionally, I notice an enormous difference both in listening to music, watching movies and playing games between a high-range ($100->$250) Creative Labs and the Realtek stuff onboard. I notice this both with my $200 Logitech 5300e and when connected to my $15,000 Bower & Wilkins speakers (which I finally got connected to my PC lastnight -- whoo!).

Is the onboard in the 680i a step up? Absolutely. It is far better than AC97 on my Asus K8N board. But for those willing to spend $250 on a board, they're also going to be willing to spend $100 on a dedicated audio card and they know the sound experience they're expecting.
January 26, 2007 9:40:50 AM

aww man 15K speakers on a creative sound card- ROCKS!!

wish i had that

guess ill have to settle for an x-fi platinum and itrigue 3400 2.1 speakers.... :'( 
January 26, 2007 10:26:08 AM

Well, with Vista not supporting EAX but something else (something called AL-what?, sorry can't remember), i wonder what in the store for Creative...but true,to a certain degree, onboard sound hurt performance, even by single number percentage, it still hurt
January 26, 2007 10:54:41 AM

I'll worry about Vista when they actually have something that I absolutely need Vista to use. I have no intention of using Vista when at this point there is only one DX10 game, who knows how long out from being released, that actually uses it. Especially since it will almost certainly render a number of older games impossible or very difficult to use (just as many 32bit games simply won't work on XP 64 bit).
January 26, 2007 11:05:33 AM

vistas comes in x86 and x64 versions so maybe backward compatibility wont be such an issue.

hmm... ill g nutzois if i buy 32 bit ultimate and they make me pay for it agen just to change to 64 bit tho...

games aren't the only reason to get a creative card. if u convert tapes/lps to mp3/cd, or record you own music, they come in handy. or if u just like the fact that the cmss/3d audio/eax/24 bit crystaliser/eq is all hardware based and doesnt tax your cpu, expecially if your runnign vista that need all its hp for all the 3d aero and bling
January 26, 2007 12:57:00 PM

As for Vista, Creative already has a software based workaround to that problem. It will likely eat up some cpu power just like integrated audio. So with Vista the only difference will be features, not performance.

I'm not saying add-in cards aren't superior to onboard audio but the difference in sound is getting slimmer each year because most add-in card makers aren't progressing as fast as onboard.

Besides, those statistics of up to 10% difference in performance one poster stated is like many statistics, made up.

There have been numerous comparisons over the last couple years as to the hit on performance and, in games, it rarely makes more than 1-3 FPS difference in any game with even a medium powered system.

Bottom line, if it sounds good enough to you and the positional audio ( arguably the main area where add-in has the biggest advantage) is sufficient for your needs then stick with it.

Is add-in better? Yes.

Is add-in huge leaps and bounds better? Not so much anymore. You also have to consider that many onboard audio chips nowadays have eliminated most to all of the hiss/pop of the past. At the same Creatives cards/not onboard are making the most news with its X-Fi branded cards giving users a hell of a time working properly and without added noise, pop/hiss. So that was a little backwards as well.

No one hears sound exactly the same. The structure of the human ear alone sees to that, so what might sound fine to one person might be flawed to another, its really a pointless argument when being subjective.

Plug that Audigy 2 in for possibly better positional and more features, if you build another box don't feel too bad about leaving onboard in one box if it sounds fine with what you play/do.

/end rant
January 26, 2007 2:26:38 PM

Quote:
REALITY CHECK NEEDED!!!!!!!!!

onboard sound will "hurt" you experience. period. when yor overlocking/gaming, the last thing you want is onboard sound eating up your cpu cyles. lets get this straigh - onboard with no eq, effect or 3d will use 2-5% cpu on a modern core 2 duop with 1> gig of ram. turn on the eq, 3d positional audio or just 7.1 surround sound, that already abt 10% usage. compare that to a dedicated turtel ebach/creative/m audio's <1%. they have dedicated sound coprocessors that take the load off the cpu.

onboard sound =
-higher distortion figures
-background hiss/hum
-background whirring/clicks from interference from hdd, opotical drives, fans
-the built in eqs and 3d audio SUCK!

------------

sheez, i think tis bloody obvious why there are no creative chips in motherboards. they spend millions on r&d perfecting their chips, to hav them, stuffed in an unideal, noisy environment, which undoes all there work. and anyway, putting there chips in would drive motherboard prices up way high. the average n00b cant tell the difference and will go for the low cost solution.

eax5? hmmm lyk every decent game...
ut doesn't have bathrooms init....
dno what you've been smoking, but i want some

----------------

have a try at this, get your "thx cert spkrs" hook em up to onboard, and push every volume control up to max, boost on. here the hiss/hum/whirring?

try that with a dedicated and properly installed creative sound card - quietness

lol and i dont mean with a ISA soundblaster live either. a decent audigy 2/4 platinum/x-fi

Wow did I hit a nerve mr sponge?

I have been using computers and been a serious gamer for over 10 years now my first computer was in 1997. Not to mention a serious music listener, (I buy 100 dollar ear phones and thx certified speakers) I have owned sound blaster 128, live, audigy, audigy 2. I still currently own a audigy 2 and its sitting outside of my computer on a shelf. Why? Well driver problems for one thing, vista didn't have drivers etc. In other words creative just doesn't know how to develop drivers. Also the whole you have to have the original install cd to get driver updates really didn't do much for me except piss me off.

I also had some issues with it, when doing a cold boot the right channel wouldn't work and I would have to restart again and it would.

I went to best buy to try out a x fi card. They only had the cheap ones at 70-100 dollars.

I did try out your little turn up all volumes and turn up your speakers. Sure I heard a hiss, did I hear pops or anything? Nope, nothing but hundreds of watts of power turned up all the way. and I literally had to turn the knob 340 degrees so it was maxed out before I heard anything.

Now your opinnion is justified based on ac'97 audio. This is not ac'97 audio it is the new hd sound chip from realtek.

As for "bathrooms in ut comment" your right maybe I was thinking a tunnel or something.

So, why don't you try out the new hd realtek sound before you bash it. I have taken your advice and di some benchmarks in 3dmakr 2006 and seen no difference in scores. I also did a frame rate test in several games and there was practically no difference.

So, appearently you love creative, you are what they call a fanboy. I stated facts and stated an opinnion. YOu however had to resort to personal attacks and it is pretty immature. I bet you love creatives mp3 players too right? How about their cambrdige sound works speakers?

As for their r&d budget, they don't make any money so what is the point? I mean creative can't last forever on loans, and eventually their stock will bottom out. They refuse to give up in the mp3 market where they are losing their shirt. Their sound card market is bottoming out due to increased competition.

So where are your valid points now mr sponge?

Thank you.
January 26, 2007 2:48:12 PM

Quote:

wish i had that

guess ill have to settle for an x-fi platinum and itrigue 3400 2.1 speakers.... :'( 

Ok now this comment really is kind of funny. So if you love creative so much when did you have an oportunity to try out realtek? Ever tried the hd realtek on board sound? Your using 2.1 speakers at 99 dollars? Why bother? I mean if your going to spend an extra several hundred dollars on x fi sound card, "premium" i might add, why not buy some descent speakers to go with it? I have some old 4.1 logitech ones and they make it shine.

So are you just talking out of your rear end? It sure does sound like it. So what kind of system do you have??? I don't see a signature telling us all, is it not worth mentioning?

I would also like to add that with 2 cores working now on the processor and GPU'S with 700 mb's of ram and their own processors that rival cpu's most of the game performance isn't done by the cpu either. So what are these so powerful intel core 2 duo cpus's runnning and multi gigahert speeds doing now anyway? So that is why your statements are not accurate in modern computer high end, environments.
January 26, 2007 4:41:44 PM

Whether or not Creative Labs may or may not suck is completely irrelevant. The point is that any good dedicated sound card isn't going to be threatened by onboard sound. And yes, the impact of the performance drain does matter. A good chunk of the load is still handed off to the CPU and in a world where a high end GPU is bottlenecked by the CPU, giving up 3-5% or more of that CPU to the audio system is significant.

As for speakers, I'll take a high end 2.1 or 3.2 (front left/right, center, sub) over a medium range 5.1 any day. The surround sound of a 5.1+ system does add a little to the experience, of course. The only place I've really found the investment in 5.1+ systems is in gaming. I was just fine with my home theater having 3.1 with my high end 8xx series B&Ws and receiver. I only finally got around to adding surround sound speakers (ugh, $1,500 each!) because I was playing a lot of XBOX. While the 5.1 adds a little bit to the home theater experience, it's extremely noticable in gameplay.

When it comes to my PC gaming... I have recently opted for the headset more often than anything else, because having six, seven or even eight speakers with wires and having to find a place to position them in an office, bedroom or game room is just ridiculous.

Anyway, I still agree that the HD RealTek audio is pretty impressive. But not even remotely comparable to a good dedicated card. If Creative is going to be threatened by anything, it's going to be themselves. Not many people are going to go for the onboard -- except when they can't get Creative to work on their systems without snap crackle pop. And then some of them, like me, will just put that $200 into an audio solution from another vendor. Maybe that'll give a nice infusion of cash to help out some of Creative's competitors that they have been needing for a few years and we can start to see some even more competitive offerings from these small guys in the future.
January 26, 2007 9:41:34 PM

yeh several nerves, but i was bored and it was 3am :D 

I don't think it would be unreasonable if they didn't developd drivers for vista, audigy 2 is several generations and years old. I'm not sure what creative did back in the audig2 era, but with x-fi and audigy 4, u can just download the drivers, irrespective of the install cd.

Quote:
I also had some issues with it, when doing a cold boot the right channel wouldn't work and I would have to restart again and it would.

maybe a buggy windows/hardware problem?

--------------------------

(ill b more reasonable and sane here :D  )

normally with MOST onboard sound, whether AC'97 or Realtek HD, there will b a degree of hiss. Popping/whirring is less common, but does happen. of course, all this does depend on your motherboard design as well ie how clos to the jacks is the physical chip, are the signal tracks routed near the power tracks on the pcb etc.

with ut, there is a difference, not just with "tunnels", but u can hear vehicles, gunfire, explosions that can pinpoint anothe rplayer

--------------------------

i have tried realtek hd on several pc's, and imo, they just don't sound as good, excluding the 24bit crystaliser. with eq/effects, the sound distorts easily and the 3D isnt that great. slight whirring/clicks were audible when optical drives spun up/fans were toggled on and off.

maybe it has to do with the fact they weren't "premium mobo's"
--------------------------------

I dno abt 3dmark, but perhaps the "sound" components was set to low priority? it might explain why the scores were idntical. there should be a slight difference.

----------------------------------
and fyi, i'm not a fanboy. I will happily change back and forth between brands/products, depending which has the performance crown. to be frank, creative mp3s r absolute sh1+. if i had more money, i'd buy the thx cert'd wireless logitech's anyday.

Your welcome.
January 26, 2007 9:52:17 PM

Quote:

wish i had that

Ok now this comment really is kind of funny. So if you love creative so much when did you have an oportunity to try out realtek? Ever tried the hd realtek on board sound? Your using 2.1 speakers at 99 dollars? Why bother? I mean if your going to spend an extra several hundred dollars on x fi sound card, "premium" i might add, why not buy some descent speakers to go with it? I have some old 4.1 logitech ones and they make it shine.

So are you just talking out of your rear end? It sure does sound like it. So what kind of system do you have??? I don't see a signature telling us all, is it not worth mentioning?

I would also like to add that with 2 cores working now on the processor and GPU'S with 700 mb's of ram and their own processors that rival cpu's most of the game performance isn't done by the cpu either. So what are these so powerful intel core 2 duo cpus's runnning and multi gigahert speeds doing now anyway? So that is why your statements are not accurate in modern computer high end, environments.

I have tried realtek, read my above posts. and the speakers were $150, well the ones i'm using now anyway. I've tried the creative cards with expenxive thx speakers on a multimedia workstation before (drool..) and there is an audible difference.

I'll agree with some bits of your last point, but with full 8 channels and eq/effects, that does use cpu, if a small amount. I suppose most games won't be that badly affected as most aren't cpu bound nut games such as flight simx will hav a difference.

heres the requested specs:
------------------

Core 2 Duo E6600 oc'd to 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte Ga-965P-DQ6
Zalman CNPS9500
3x 250GB WD Caviar SE 16MB SATA2
7600GT overclocked
X-Fi Platinum w/ drive bay
2x DVD Burners
Viewsonic VX2025WM 20.1" Widescreen 8ms
Thermaltake Kandalf Black w/ 25cm fan
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
2GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR800

to be added on later
Quad core 2.4ghz 1066mh fsb (watever the Exxx was) w/ tuniq tower 120
7950GT/8600/8400
2x 250GB hdd's for storage and RAID
windows vists after sp1
another 2GB's ram, ddr800 corsair
January 26, 2007 10:14:17 PM

Ok good deal. NOW we are on the same page.

I installed my audigy 2 card and downloaded the latest drivers from oct 06. yeah they have improved. It's about time, the previous drivers were just rediculous.

I have no doubt there will be some although very little performance drop considering how powerful systems are today. Back in the 64mb of ram days I would be concerned but 2gb of ram, I mean there really is no concern if it takes but 24mb of even 128mb for that matter.

Your system is quite impressive, you should have a signature so all can see, it definetely makes people respect you more. Kind of like someone who puts their position or rank or whatever on their emails.

The card I have definetely does have some issues. I mean sometimes a channel doesn't work when booting up. So maybe ill dish out 70 dollars for a new x fi card and give it a spin. I am now using the audigy 2, and yes there is a slightly less amount of hiss when turnig up the speakers extremely loud.

One thing I never understsood about the audigy 2 I am not even sure when that came out was it 2002 or 2003? They never clearly marked the slots on the back of the card, so you have to guess and plug in your plugs and hope it worked. So I had to mark it with a green/black marker.

So we will see, but as i said before, mainboard audio is catching up.
January 26, 2007 10:32:02 PM

Yea, i just neevr remember to tick the attach signature box

If you want to try out the new cards, grab an x-fi xtreme music. It's the basic model, and suited to most people. The higher models are needed if ur goin extreme or record/rip music.

BTW, what do you mean never marked the slots? Do u mean the 3.5mm jacks on the back of the PCI card/xternal box?
January 26, 2007 10:35:33 PM

hahahahaha you think because you have $100 headphones you are a serious music listener? LMAO!!!!! d00d $100 might be ok but they are nothing, if you are truly serious you wouldn't be listening off your computer in the first place, you'd have your headphones attached to a headphone amp, and thx is a joke when it comes to anything musical d00d.

Woopie you've had a few soundcards, Well I've had 12 cars in my life so I must be a driving instructor for GM and I should design them too.

Hell I have 5 pairs of headphones sitting on my desk right now ranging from Senns hd650's to grado ra1 and a rs1 amp, to 5.1 medusas and pair of sure E4-c for my mp3 player (not a ipod cause anyone that "knows" music wouldn't have one) to a pair of koss cheapo's for running.

And all I know is that I like good sound, thats it.
January 26, 2007 10:36:39 PM

Ah.. found the always attack sig button in the profile setting
January 26, 2007 10:37:47 PM

Quote:
hahahahaha you think because you have $100 headphones you are a serious music listener? LMAO!!!!! d00d $100 might be ok but they are nothing, if you are truly serious you wouldn't be listening off your computer in the first place, you'd have your headphones attached to a headphone amp, and thx is a joke when it comes to anything musical d00d.

Woopie you've had a few soundcards, Well I've had 12 cars in my life so I must be a driving instructor for GM and I should design them too.

Hell I have 5 pairs of headphones sitting on my desk right now ranging from Senns hd650's to grado ra1 and a rs1 amp, to 5.1 medusas and pair of sure E4-c for my mp3 player (not a ipod cause anyone that "knows" music wouldn't have one) to a pair of koss cheapo's for running.

And all I know is that I like good sound, thats it.

Where did you come from and what is your point? I have no business with you and your post was imature and un necessary. So go do whatever it is you do and go do it? No signature I see, are you embarrassed to show off your rig or what? To busy buying those speakers?

Thanks.
January 26, 2007 10:41:44 PM

WHOOPEE!!!!

Go anal yourself with a retractable baton. Oh, by the way, before it snaps and you die from a hirrble infection, give me a call and i'll come sign your coffin. lol

srsly tho

If ur gonnna say something, weather positiv/negative, at least make it constructive or relevant.

---------------------------

I don't get it. Why do you have 5 pairs of headphones? And if u wer an audiophile, you wouldn't be listening to an mp3 player as the compression is lossy. And anyway, using xpensivs sures on an mp3 player with a mediocre DAC and amplifier defeats the purpose
January 26, 2007 10:42:47 PM

Quote:
Yea, i just neevr remember to tick the attach signature box

If you want to try out the new cards, grab an x-fi xtreme music. It's the basic model, and suited to most people. The higher models are needed if ur goin extreme or record/rip music.

BTW, what do you mean never marked the slots? Do u mean the 3.5mm jacks on the back of the PCI card/xternal box?

Yeah that is what i am talking about, the plugs in the back of the card for the speakers/mic/sound in etc. They are just gold rings so you have to get a flash light and decipher which hole is which. Good thing not everything is like that haha.

Hopefully the new cards are much better and are marked.
January 26, 2007 10:45:19 PM

The new X-Fi's are marked, but the symbols are cryptic tho. The ports can be remapped so its a 1 jack serves 5 purposes thing (there are 8 on the back).

I always have to keep looking at the quick star guide as my model has to many in/out jacks/ports
January 26, 2007 10:51:13 PM

Ah ok good deal.

You are brutal when letting someone have it aren't you haha. I find it odd the former person I was debating with is now an ally.

So what do you know about over clocking?
January 26, 2007 11:02:41 PM

Ah ok good information. thanks I think the only game I really played on there is hitman. Maybe a few older titles.
January 26, 2007 11:58:16 PM

Quote:
So I tried out the on board sound on my evga nvidia 680i board. It sounds really good. I have to admit. It has nice bass, very crisp and clean sounding and its very very loud compared to my previous nforce 4 chipset realtek audio.

I only have an audigy 2 to compare it to, and to me it sounds identical. I am using logitech thx certified speakers. Is creative in trouble or is it? it seems integrated audio is catching up.

It's not just you - the new HD onboard chips sound pretty good. Dedicated cards sound even better, of course, but HD audio is pretty good for casual listening.

I don't game so FPS don't interest me much. My listening is pretty much limited to MP3 playback and light editing with Adobe Audition. I don't use PC speakers - I have a good JVC amp connected to pair of "classic" JBL monitors. The fact that most of my music is in MP3 format eliminates the need for audiophile calibre gear.

It's just wishful thinking but it would be nice if some premium boards would forgo onboard sound altogether, saving the consumer money which could be put towards a dedicated sound card of their choice.
January 27, 2007 12:04:42 AM

Quote:

It's not just you - the new HD onboard chips sound pretty good. Dedicated cards sound even better, of course, but HD audio is pretty good for casual listening.

I don't game so FPS don't interest me much. My listening is pretty much limited to MP3 playback and light editing with Adobe Audition. I don't use PC speakers - I have a good JVC amp connected to pair of "classic" JBL monitors. The fact that most of my music is in MP3 format eliminates the need for audiophile calibre gear.

It's just wishful thinking but it would be nice if some premium boards would forgo onboard sound altogether, saving the consumer money which could be put towards a dedicated sound card of their choice.

Hey for your over clock did you by chance run prime 95 and have two instances running to test both cores? If you haven't would you? I would like to know if my system is odd in that.

1. Windows and all programs run stable 99 percent of the time.
2. One instance of prime 95 will crap out anywhere from 2 to 15 mins later with a rounding error. The other will continue until I stop it.
3. nothing changes temp wise from 2 to 15 mins after so no real reason for it to crap out.
4. Lowering the over clocking exhibits the same results
5. Upping hte voltage doesn't help.

So yeah its weird as i said, the system is sued for gaming etc with no problems. I can burn it in for hours using cpu burn in and fah no problems.
January 27, 2007 9:44:15 AM

hey cranbers, i won't go into an argument over this, but as a mater of interest, hav a look on the THG forums and the net/newegg on the P5B/P5B Deluxe/P5b Deluxe WiFi. They are a very good example of why onboard isnt ideal in all circumstances. asus motheboard deisgning tem gone nutzo

people are reporting piiiiiiii's, wheeeee, click click click, brmmmmm's from there onboard realtek's. from what i remember, some ppl say that copying files will cause hashing sounds come through the speakers.
January 27, 2007 10:15:26 AM

Quote:
hey cranbers, i won't go into an argument over this, but as a mater of interest, hav a look on the THG forums and the net/newegg on the P5B/P5B Deluxe/P5b Deluxe WiFi. They are a very good example of why onboard isnt ideal in all circumstances. asus motheboard deisgning tem gone nutzo

people are reporting piiiiiiii's, wheeeee, click click click, brmmmmm's from there onboard realtek's. from what i remember, some ppl say that copying files will cause hashing sounds come through the speakers.

My laptop has chips buzzes and all types of sounds like that. So I definetely know what your talking about. It drives me nuts I had to return a compaq one that had that problem. It was rediculous.

So no argument here I have no doubt. However my only point was in the original post, the new hd sound from realtek is pretty nice. All things considered. Is it as good as audio that is dedicated? Maybe not but it is catching up.

Enough said, Now what about that over clock question I asked you?
January 27, 2007 10:24:53 AM

Hmm overclocking...

i wouldn't consider myself as an hardcore oc'er or a pro.

i actually dont hav my pc overclocked all the time. like during normal weeks, all im doing is office stuff, then i just leave it at stock. i normally push it up to abt 2.7ghz playing games/watching movies/serious multitasking, or 3.0ghz + when im rendering vids/cad work that nends every bit of juice.

the main reason i oc is i cant justify payign the price premium of a E6700, when i can get a E6600 for half that price, yet overclock when i need to. i also want my cpu to last longer than 15 months so leaving at a lower speed should prolong its life (even though ill probably get quad core soon anyway :D )

same reasoning applies to my 7600gt. i use atitool to load "profiles" whenevr i play games/watch dvds w/ hardware acceleration etc
January 27, 2007 10:55:26 AM

Quote:
Hmm overclocking...

i wouldn't consider myself as an hardcore oc'er or a pro.

i actually dont hav my pc overclocked all the time. like during normal weeks, all im doing is office stuff, then i just leave it at stock. i normally push it up to abt 2.7ghz playing games/watching movies/serious multitasking, or 3.0ghz + when im rendering vids/cad work that nends every bit of juice.

the main reason i oc is i cant justify payign the price premium of a E6700, when i can get a E6600 for half that price, yet overclock when i need to. i also want my cpu to last longer than 15 months so leaving at a lower speed should prolong its life (even though ill probably get quad core soon anyway :D )

same reasoning applies to my 7600gt. i use atitool to load "profiles" whenevr i play games/watch dvds w/ hardware acceleration etc

Next time you over clock will you run a program called orthos for me. I am trying to figure out if this is unique to my system with the whole one core failing thing.
January 27, 2007 10:50:18 PM

orthos o..k..

erm ok, ill run it, but whats wrong with your pc and orthos?
January 27, 2007 11:01:49 PM

Quote:
orthos o..k..

erm ok, ill run it, but whats wrong with your pc and orthos?

When I run orthos, one core will fail after 5 to 15 mins. My system however is rock solid, never reboots, blue screens or anything. I have gamed with it and never had any problems. But yet this prime95/ and this other program comes up with errors like I said. But only on one core. So just trying to figure it out.
January 28, 2007 3:46:28 AM

Quote:

Hey for your over clock did you by chance run prime 95 and have two instances running to test both cores? If you haven't would you? I would like to know if my system is odd in that.

1. Windows and all programs run stable 99 percent of the time.
2. One instance of prime 95 will crap out anywhere from 2 to 15 mins later with a rounding error. The other will continue until I stop it.
3. nothing changes temp wise from 2 to 15 mins after so no real reason for it to crap out.
4. Lowering the over clocking exhibits the same results
5. Upping hte voltage doesn't help.

So yeah its weird as i said, the system is sued for gaming etc with no problems. I can burn it in for hours using cpu burn in and fah no problems.

Yeah - I spent the first few days after I built my rig tweaking the overclock. I did the dual Prime95 thing for several hours - ditto with ORTHOS. I discovered how important it is to get your RAM stable at high FSB speeds. Don't be afraid to run at 5-5-5-15 if that makes your system stable, as it does mine. A little extra latency can be offset by a higher overall overclock.

Your CPU might need a little extra juice. Make note of the voltage that it requires at its base speed and then add a little until the system becomes stable. Be sure to stabilize your RAM first because flaky RAM can hold back an otherwise good overclock. My particular CPU needed 1.3625v for stable operation at 3.41 GHz.

I bumped my system to 3.5 GHz today. It still idles at 46-48C so the temperatures appear to be under control, at least at idle. I still have to test the system to see how stable it is at this speed. I upped the vCore to 1.4v to be on the safe side but I'm hoping to reduce it again if the extra voltage isn't needed.

Keep tweaking - you're probably pretty close to success.
January 30, 2007 1:09:31 AM

Hmmm

I've tried Orthos out, but from what i've seen, it seems inaccurate. Mine always finds errors in Core #1, at 4hours 50 minutes +/- 5 minutes.

I tried again at stock, same problem. I know my PC is fine, its done BurninTest Pro (full pc) for 60Hrs with no errors, memtest86+, seti/rosetta @ home for abt 6 weeks now, and ut04 on hull quality for hours. I've never had any lockups/freezes.

I'll try out dual Prime95 and see what it thinks.
February 2, 2007 3:28:41 PM

I have a Reaktek HD integrated audio chip in my Gigabyte DS3 motherboard. I have it connected to a mid range Hi Fi and have been impressed with the quality of the sound. I aren't saying that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I shoved an X-Fi sound card in, and used that instead. But to be fair, integrated sound has come a long way, and even though I think I'm a bit of an audiofile, can't stand anything encoded below 192kb/s, I think that the performance of my integrated chip is acceptable, and isn't worth upgrading at the moment. I play my Hi Fi loud, and I often can't distinguish any discrepancies in the sound, unless playing low bitrate files, which is good enough for me. People say you can hearr more detail when using a good sound card, and you can, but many people won't be able to tell the difference, and if they can, many won't value it enough to justify an outlay of money to get it.
As for the ridiculous statements about integrated chips using up cpu cycles in games, well maybe they do, but it's not going to affect the game if you've got a Core 2 Duo OCd to whatever speed you do have. Games these days aren't generally CPU limited, they will play much the same with any cpu from the past few years, the difference in performance almost exclusively made by the graphics card. The CPU has plenty of spare cycles. I left Adobe Audition encoding a large WAV file then started up Oblivion, I also left a performance monitor going, and after slaying a few trolls and stuff, I checked back and the cpu had never reached 100% usage. The hard drive did while loading levels, but that's irrelevant as that has no bearing on discrete or integrated sound.
February 2, 2007 7:26:40 PM

When I got my xfi it changed everything about how I listen to game and music audio... took me a week of tweaking audio settings to get it just right... and this is with some crappy 2.1 speakers... frankly I can't stand listening to audio from an mp3 player or cd player now... even when hooked up to the same speakers they sound nothing alike
February 7, 2007 1:30:54 AM

Quote:
Maybe that is why they are getting beat up by realtek?

Yeah, right. You mean in market share... Couldn't be otherwise. :wink:

Quote:
I mean why do you think there is no creative integrated sound chips in any motherboards?

MSI has been doing that for quite a time now. The K8N SLI Platinum has an Audigy SE onboard. Link

Quote:
I think eax is dead and the game engine itself is starting to provide all those effects.

That's been answered... ("EAX Game List" above). I just wanted to highlight how crazy this statement is... :lol: 

Quote:
So um yeah, creative is in trouble. I give them another 5 years before their pushing daisies or bought out by nvidia or someone else that is doing well.
They are just too greedy and obviously its not nvidias fault they didn't work together on something. Obvoiusly realtek had something more to offer and it sounds good to me.

If Creative is in trouble, the only responsible is Creative itself. It's forums are full of complaints about SCP (snap/crack/pop) in the XFi series. And NOT ONLY on NF4 mobos. I stopped reading THE thread about SCP at page 30... Link
I guess we could say Realtek has a "monopoly" over onboard audio solutions... Anyone saw any CMedia onboard audio recently?
!