Dish Network HDTV + Locals

I'm a newbie to the whole HDTV thing, though I bought a Sony Wega 34"
WS
HD-ready set about a year ago. I'm ready to make the jump to the Dish HDTV
package, and am wondering which receiver to get, and what do I need for OTA
HD signals. As I understand it, to receive channels like ESPN HD and
Discovery HD, etc, I only need a Dish Network HD receiver (no special
decoder for my TV as the Dish receiver will decode the HD signal for my
TV).
Is this correct?

If I get an off-air antenna for my roof (or attic), can I connect that
into the Dish HD receiver's input to decode the HD signal (since my TV set
won't decode)? Will I need a separate
set-top box to do this decoding? Or should I just wait until my local
network channels are broadcast in HD right through the satellite dish (and
how far off is this)????

TIA,
Dan
6 answers Last reply
More about dish network hdtv locals

    Dish offers 2 HD receivers at this point. The 811 and the 921. Difference
    being that the 921 is a DVR and can record HD as well as SD. The dish
    website can give you the current prices. Currently the 921 has more bugs
    than the Orkin man but it is getting better. Yes you can connect an external
    antenna (or indoor if you are in a great reception area signal wise) and get
    OTA HD. It may be a while before local HD is offered over the satellite
    but YMMV for your area. I use a 921 with an roof antenna for local HD and
    the HD package from Dish for Discovery HD, Espn HD, HDPPV, HDNET, and now
    TNTHD. Cost for that package is 9.95/ month.
    HTH,
    Bill

    "Dan" <dburke474@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a newbie to the whole HDTV thing, though I bought a Sony Wega 34"
    > WS
    > HD-ready set about a year ago. I'm ready to make the jump to the Dish
    HDTV
    > package, and am wondering which receiver to get, and what do I need for
    OTA
    > HD signals. As I understand it, to receive channels like ESPN HD and
    > Discovery HD, etc, I only need a Dish Network HD receiver (no special
    > decoder for my TV as the Dish receiver will decode the HD signal for my
    > TV).
    > Is this correct?
    >
    > If I get an off-air antenna for my roof (or attic), can I connect
    that
    > into the Dish HD receiver's input to decode the HD signal (since my TV set
    > won't decode)? Will I need a separate
    > set-top box to do this decoding? Or should I just wait until my local
    > network channels are broadcast in HD right through the satellite dish (and
    > how far off is this)????
    >
    > TIA,
    > Dan

    TNT HD?? When did THAT happen? And how come there is nothing on the site
    to indicate channel/programming, etc.. ?

    Just Me wrote:

    > TNT HD?? When did THAT happen? And how come there is nothing on the site
    > to indicate channel/programming, etc.. ?

    On Friday last...

    DISH Network Adds TNT to its High-Definition Package; Programming to
    Include NBA, Movies
    May 21, 2004 09:05:00 AM ET

    EchoStar Communication Corporation's DISH Network(TM) DISH and Turner
    Network Television (TNT) are partnering to offer DISH Network satellite
    TV customers TNT in high definition beginning today.

    http://tinyurl.com/3ctmy

    Jerry

    Thx a lot Bill!!! I know I've heard the 921 is very buggy..... what has
    your experience been? Is it so buggy that you get frustrated trying to
    watch TV? Or does it have a few bugs that make it just interesting enough
    to reset and fix the problems once in awhile :) Also, does your receiver
    show your OTA channels on the program guide?

    "Bill" <fusebhub@ver.net> wrote in message
    > Dish offers 2 HD receivers at this point. The 811 and the 921. Difference
    > being that the 921 is a DVR and can record HD as well as SD. The dish
    > website can give you the current prices. Currently the 921 has more bugs
    > than the Orkin man but it is getting better. Yes you can connect an
    external
    > antenna (or indoor if you are in a great reception area signal wise) and
    get
    > OTA HD. It may be a while before local HD is offered over the satellite
    > but YMMV for your area. I use a 921 with an roof antenna for local HD and
    > the HD package from Dish for Discovery HD, Espn HD, HDPPV, HDNET, and now
    > TNTHD. Cost for that package is 9.95/ month.
    > HTH,
    > Bill
    >
    > "Dan" <dburke474@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm a newbie to the whole HDTV thing, though I bought a Sony Wega
    34"
    > > WS
    > > HD-ready set about a year ago. I'm ready to make the jump to the Dish
    > HDTV
    > > package, and am wondering which receiver to get, and what do I need for
    > OTA
    > > HD signals. As I understand it, to receive channels like ESPN HD and
    > > Discovery HD, etc, I only need a Dish Network HD receiver (no special
    > > decoder for my TV as the Dish receiver will decode the HD signal for my
    > > TV).
    > > Is this correct?
    > >
    > > If I get an off-air antenna for my roof (or attic), can I connect
    > that
    > > into the Dish HD receiver's input to decode the HD signal (since my TV
    set
    > > won't decode)? Will I need a separate
    > > set-top box to do this decoding? Or should I just wait until my local
    > > network channels are broadcast in HD right through the satellite dish
    (and
    > > how far off is this)????
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Dan

    I read that, if Time Warner gets in with the Dish, I'll have to go Directv,
    as AOL owns 60% of Time Warner.

    --
    NEVER approach a PC thinking "This will only take 5 minutes
    "Jsheldon" <jsheldonNOTTTHIS@his.com> wrote in message

    > Just Me wrote:
    >
    > > TNT HD?? When did THAT happen? And how come there is nothing on the site
    > > to indicate channel/programming, etc.. ?
    >
    > On Friday last...
    >
    > DISH Network Adds TNT to its High-Definition Package; Programming to
    > Include NBA, Movies
    > May 21, 2004 09:05:00 AM ET
    >
    > EchoStar Communication Corporation's DISH Network(TM) DISH and Turner
    > Network Television (TNT) are partnering to offer DISH Network satellite
    > TV customers TNT in high definition beginning today.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/3ctmy
    >
    > Jerry

    ---

    Although it currently has a low WAF (wife approval factor) it IS getting
    better. The biggest problem is failed timers (mostly OTA) and the GSOD Gray
    Screen of Death where you are watching a program and the screen turns gray
    with an "X" in the middle and it does a reboot. A software download is
    coming in the next few weeks to fix these concerns. These are fewer than
    when I got the 921 but still a PITA. OTA guide info is supposed to be coming
    by end of June and IIRC only to those cities that already have locals. If I
    can help with anything else let me know. It is a lot of money to spend if
    you are not sure. Bottom line the picture is awesome both on Dish and OTA
    HD.
    > Thx a lot Bill!!! I know I've heard the 921 is very buggy..... what has
    > your experience been? Is it so buggy that you get frustrated trying to
    > watch TV? Or does it have a few bugs that make it just interesting enough
    > to reset and fix the problems once in awhile :) Also, does your
    receiver
    > show your OTA channels on the program guide?
    >
    > "Bill" <fusebhub@ver.net> wrote in message
    > > Dish offers 2 HD receivers at this point. The 811 and the 921.
    Difference
    > > being that the 921 is a DVR and can record HD as well as SD. The dish
    > > website can give you the current prices. Currently the 921 has more bugs
    > > than the Orkin man but it is getting better. Yes you can connect an
    > external
    > > antenna (or indoor if you are in a great reception area signal wise) and
    > get
    > > OTA HD. It may be a while before local HD is offered over the satellite
    > > but YMMV for your area. I use a 921 with an roof antenna for local HD
    and
    > > the HD package from Dish for Discovery HD, Espn HD, HDPPV, HDNET, and
    now
    > > TNTHD. Cost for that package is 9.95/ month.
    > > HTH,
    > > Bill
    > >
    > > "Dan" <dburke474@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I'm a newbie to the whole HDTV thing, though I bought a Sony Wega
    > 34"
    > > > WS
    > > > HD-ready set about a year ago. I'm ready to make the jump to the
    Dish
    > > HDTV
    > > > package, and am wondering which receiver to get, and what do I need
    for
    > > OTA
    > > > HD signals. As I understand it, to receive channels like ESPN HD and
    > > > Discovery HD, etc, I only need a Dish Network HD receiver (no special
    > > > decoder for my TV as the Dish receiver will decode the HD signal for
    my
    > > > TV).
    > > > Is this correct?
    > > >
    > > > If I get an off-air antenna for my roof (or attic), can I connect
    > > that
    > > > into the Dish HD receiver's input to decode the HD signal (since my TV
    > set
    > > > won't decode)? Will I need a separate
    > > > set-top box to do this decoding? Or should I just wait until my local
    > > > network channels are broadcast in HD right through the satellite dish
    > (and
    > > > how far off is this)????
    > > >
    > > > TIA,
    > > > Dan