Add one icon to desktop through group policy

I have a group policy that I setup for users so that their
desktop is setup with no icons. However, I do need
internet explorer to show up either on the desktop or on
the task bar. Is there any way to add one icon to either?

Tracy Hoffman
5 answers Last reply
More about icon desktop group policy

    Tracy-
    Probably a couple of ways to skin this. You could simply use a startup or
    logon script to copy the shortcut to the desktop portion of the All Users or
    user profile. Alternatively, you could use Folder Redirection to redirect
    the Desktop to a read-only server share and then put any shortcuts you need
    in that share. Users will see them but won't be able to delete, add, modify
    them.

    --
    Darren Mar-Elia
    MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy

    "Tracy Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a group policy that I setup for users so that their
    > desktop is setup with no icons. However, I do need
    > internet explorer to show up either on the desktop or on
    > the task bar. Is there any way to add one icon to either?
    >
    > Tracy Hoffman

    i am trying to do a similar thing. if i were to use a login script, can you
    give me an idea of the syntax? have tried a couple of things with no luck.
    thanks

    "Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:

    > Tracy-
    > Probably a couple of ways to skin this. You could simply use a startup or
    > logon script to copy the shortcut to the desktop portion of the All Users or
    > user profile. Alternatively, you could use Folder Redirection to redirect
    > the Desktop to a read-only server share and then put any shortcuts you need
    > in that share. Users will see them but won't be able to delete, add, modify
    > them.
    >

    > --
    > Darren Mar-Elia
    > MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
    > Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information Hub:
    > FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related
    >

    > "Tracy Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a group policy that I setup for users so that their
    > > desktop is setup with no icons. However, I do need
    > > internet explorer to show up either on the desktop or on
    > > the task bar. Is there any way to add one icon to either?
    > >
    > > Tracy Hoffman

    Marni,
    Did you ever get the syntax for this. I would like to do the same thing?
    Sher

    "Marni" wrote:

    > i am trying to do a similar thing. if i were to use a login script, can you
    > give me an idea of the syntax? have tried a couple of things with no luck.
    > thanks
    >
    > "Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:
    >
    > > Tracy-
    > > Probably a couple of ways to skin this. You could simply use a startup or
    > > logon script to copy the shortcut to the desktop portion of the All Users or
    > > user profile. Alternatively, you could use Folder Redirection to redirect
    > > the Desktop to a read-only server share and then put any shortcuts you need
    > > in that share. Users will see them but won't be able to delete, add, modify
    > > them.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Darren Mar-Elia
    > > MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
    > > Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information Hub:
    > > FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related
    > >

    > > "Tracy Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have a group policy that I setup for users so that their
    > > > desktop is setup with no icons. However, I do need
    > > > internet explorer to show up either on the desktop or on
    > > > the task bar. Is there any way to add one icon to either?
    > > >
    > > > Tracy Hoffman

    On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 06:55:11 -0800, "Sher"
    <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Marni,
    >Did you ever get the syntax for this. I would like to do the same thing?
    >Sher
    >
    >"Marni" wrote:
    >
    >> i am trying to do a similar thing. if i were to use a login script, can you
    >> give me an idea of the syntax? have tried a couple of things with no luck.
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> "Darren Mar-Elia" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Tracy-
    >> > Probably a couple of ways to skin this. You could simply use a startup or
    >> > logon script to copy the shortcut to the desktop portion of the All Users or
    >> > user profile. Alternatively, you could use Folder Redirection to redirect
    >> > the Desktop to a read-only server share and then put any shortcuts you need
    >> > in that share. Users will see them but won't be able to delete, add, modify
    >> > them.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Darren Mar-Elia
    >> > MS-MVP-Windows Server--Group Policy
    >> > Check out http://www.gpoguy.com -- The Windows Group Policy Information Hub:
    >> > FAQs, Whitepapers and Utilities for all things Group Policy-related
    >> >

    >> > "Tracy Hoffman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    How about a VBScript to do it in a login script.. for example, the
    following creates a shortcut to Windows Explorer but could be easily
    modified for anything else...

    Dim fso, fldr1
    Set fldr1 = fso.CreateFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\All
    Users\Desktop")

    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set object = WshShell.CreateShortcut(fldr1 & "\Windows Explorer.lnk")
    object.TargetPath="%WINDIR%\explorer.scf"
    object.WorkingDirectory="%WINDIR%"
    object.Save

    Thanks for the VBScript info except I do not use or understand VBScript. Can
    you (or will you please) give me a dos syntax. I have windows xp and windows
    98 machines on my network. I need to delete the old icon and then add the
    new icon. Since the users do not have modify access to the all
    users\documents and settings\desktop will the script work? If not, how do I
    give the user temp access to be able to delete the icon and add the new icon?
    Thanks in advance for any help on this
    Shery

    "NoneOfBusiness" wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 06:55:11 -0800, "Sher"
    > <Sher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Marni,
    > >Did you ever get the syntax for this. I would like to do the same thing?
    > >Sher
    > >
    > >"Marni" wrote:
    > >
    > >> i am trying to do a similar thing. if i were to use a login script, can you
    > >> give me an idea of the syntax? have tried a couple of things with no luck.
    > >> thanks

    > How about a VBScript to do it in a login script.. for example, the
    > following creates a shortcut to Windows Explorer but could be easily
    > modified for anything else...
    >
    > Dim fso, fldr1
    > Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    > Set fldr1 = fso.CreateFolder("C:\Documents and Settings\All
    > Users\Desktop")
    >
    > Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    > Set object = WshShell.CreateShortcut(fldr1 & "\Windows Explorer.lnk")
    > object.TargetPath="%WINDIR%\explorer.scf"
    > object.WorkingDirectory="%WINDIR%"
    > object.Save

Policy Internet Explorer Desktops Windows