Applying GPOs

I want to be able to apply GPO to a user that will log on from any machine.
I do not have control or I cannot link a GPO for users. I can do it for OUs
for computers and groups.

What do I do to make sure the user gets the GPO everytime if he/she logs in
from different machines?
5 answers Last reply
More about applying gpos

    If you can place all the users for whom you want the GPO to work in a group,
    you can then create a GPO object for the users' OU and only give that group
    apply rights.

    "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
    > I want to be able to apply GPO to a user that will log on from any
    machine.
    > I do not have control or I cannot link a GPO for users. I can do it for
    OUs
    > for computers and groups.
    >
    > What do I do to make sure the user gets the GPO everytime if he/she logs
    in
    > from different machines?

    I thought GPOs dont apply to groups. only computers or users. I tried it it
    does not work.
    "Gabe Knuth" <news@gabeknuth.com (not for legit emails, use my first name @
    gabeknuth.com for those)> wrote in message
    > If you can place all the users for whom you want the GPO to work in a
    > group,
    > you can then create a GPO object for the users' OU and only give that
    > group
    > apply rights.
    >
    > "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
    >> I want to be able to apply GPO to a user that will log on from any
    > machine.
    >> I do not have control or I cannot link a GPO for users. I can do it for
    > OUs
    >> for computers and groups.
    >>
    >> What do I do to make sure the user gets the GPO everytime if he/she logs
    > in
    >> from different machines?

    You are correct. GPOs apply to users and/or computers only. You can filter
    the application of the GPO based on group membership.
    The users must be in the OU or a sub OU where you link the group policy.
    If the users are in the default "users" container, and you cannot move them,
    then the only way to apply GPO to the user is to link it to the domain.
    Then user security filtering to specifiy the desired users or groups it
    should apply to.

    "Tony" <tonyw@suse.stanford.edu> wrote in message
    >I thought GPOs dont apply to groups. only computers or users. I tried it it
    >does not work.
    > "Gabe Knuth" <news@gabeknuth.com (not for legit emails, use my first name
    > @ gabeknuth.com for those)> wrote in message
    >> If you can place all the users for whom you want the GPO to work in a
    >> group,
    >> you can then create a GPO object for the users' OU and only give that
    >> group
    >> apply rights.
    >>
    >> "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
    >>> I want to be able to apply GPO to a user that will log on from any
    >> machine.
    >>> I do not have control or I cannot link a GPO for users. I can do it for
    >> OUs
    >>> for computers and groups.
    >>>
    >>> What do I do to make sure the user gets the GPO everytime if he/she logs
    >> in
    >>> from different machines?

    When you mean "link it to the domain" Do you mean apply the GPO at the
    Domain (root) level? I do not have rights to apply GPOs at the domain level
    either.

    Thanks
    "Glenn L" <the.only(delete)@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > You are correct. GPOs apply to users and/or computers only. You can
    > filter the application of the GPO based on group membership.
    > The users must be in the OU or a sub OU where you link the group policy.
    > If the users are in the default "users" container, and you cannot move
    > them, then the only way to apply GPO to the user is to link it to the
    > domain.
    > Then user security filtering to specifiy the desired users or groups it
    > should apply to.
    >
    > "Tony" <tonyw@suse.stanford.edu> wrote in message
    >>I thought GPOs dont apply to groups. only computers or users. I tried it
    >>it does not work.
    >> "Gabe Knuth" <news@gabeknuth.com (not for legit emails, use my first name
    >> @ gabeknuth.com for those)> wrote in message
    >>> If you can place all the users for whom you want the GPO to work in a
    >>> group,
    >>> you can then create a GPO object for the users' OU and only give that
    >>> group
    >>> apply rights.
    >>>
    >>> "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
    >>> machine.
    >>> OUs

    >>> in

    Then you will have to get the permission to move the user object into an OU
    that you do control.
    Then you can link a GPO to the OU so it will apply to the user.

    --
    Glenn L

    CCNA, MCSE (2000,2003) + Security
    > When you mean "link it to the domain" Do you mean apply the GPO at the
    > Domain (root) level? I do not have rights to apply GPOs at the domain
    > level either.
    >
    > Thanks
    > "Glenn L" <the.only(delete)@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You are correct. GPOs apply to users and/or computers only. You can
    >> filter the application of the GPO based on group membership.
    >> The users must be in the OU or a sub OU where you link the group policy.
    >> If the users are in the default "users" container, and you cannot move
    >> them, then the only way to apply GPO to the user is to link it to the
    >> domain.
    >> Then user security filtering to specifiy the desired users or groups it
    >> should apply to.
    >>
    >> "Tony" <tonyw@suse.stanford.edu> wrote in message
    >>>I thought GPOs dont apply to groups. only computers or users. I tried it
    >>>it does not work.
    >>> "Gabe Knuth" <news@gabeknuth.com (not for legit emails, use my first
    >>> name @ gabeknuth.com for those)> wrote in message

Policy Microsoft Windows