help my hard drives are burning up

guyg916

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
Ok, I've just got a PC finished... the store from which I got it was apparently incompetent and didn't bother to tell me that the case they gave me didn't have a front n rear exhaust system...

anyway I've now got an uber rig but for some reason the hard drives are running at what feels (by hand) to be around 50 or 60 degrees celsius

here's a rundown of the system

Core2Duo E6600
Leadtek 7950GT tdh 512mb PCIe
2gb GEIL DDRII800
Liteon DVD+/-RW 16x etc.
320GB seagate 16mb cache SATA II HDD
120GB WD caviar (old school 8mb cache) ATA133

using the boxed heatsink and fan and a POS case obviously... I'd like to find a way to mod the case to make it work to avoid having to buy a new one but if I have to then so be it...

my main concern is that the hard drives are actually getting that hot (granted the base temp around here is 40 celsius during the day and 30 at night)

any advice?

guyg916

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
the basic premise of this new idea would be cutting the hole in the top for the 120... and then cutting holes in each side.. putting in an angled 120 on each side (so that it blows over the HDDs and pushes fresh air through the entire system) ummm... using either an old case or perspex I'd build a casing to make sure that the air flow is sealed (with some all clear to finish the job)

I figure if there is no mount for a front fan maybe if I rig it up like that it'll get a good air intake for the major components from the fan on the left and the HDDs from the one on the right with the top and rear exhaust to clear it out... god damn my living room is gonna be like a

guyg916

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
what if there were 2x 120mm intakes one on each side angled at about 30 degres and with a housing to make sure that the air flow is continuous.

those 2 should feed enough to the 120 and 80mm exhausts to get...

and something about that positive airflow at teh end of the process does something like keep dust out or something random?

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
i would go out and buy a new case if the one they supplied you with is rubbish (or get them to subsudise some of the cost) i wouldnt want a new rig running in a POS case if your funds are limited have a look at the akasa zen or the Phong 2

G

i have a MY BOOK 500 gig drive,this is #2,WHEN I PULLED THEM OUT THEY WERE EXTREMELY HOT AND MY FANS ARE WORKING,i built this myself and i left the fans were they were.should i move them

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
It would be better to start a new thread than to ask a question on someone's old thread. Just FYI.

Download HD Tune and find out the TEMP!!!

TRENDING THREADS