8800 gts "lite"

jjknoll

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
With the recent news NVidia will soon be offeringan 8800 gts "lite" (320 mb ram vs. the full 640) I wonder if you will be able to run a gts and a gts lite in sli together. Would this be as good or nearly as good as 2 regular gts's. If so it will be a nice way to save a little $$$. While I think a single gts lite will likely be somewhat bottlenecked with only half the memory as the full card I am curious as to whether or not running these in sli would make up for the deficiency. I guess it depends on how sli operates (as I do not know). Does sli use the first card to near potential and then start pulling resources from the second card or do they have some type of load balancing so it uses both cards near equally. If so an sli setup wit 2 "lite" cards may be a nice bargain.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I guess you could lean towards load balancing without putting it too technical.
However the memory usage is mirrored in both GPU"s.

If the "lite" version is only cut down on the VRAM, I dont see why the GTS signature would change, hense making it compatible in SLI with the GTS.
Tbh, I"m not sure, I didnt think memory size would make SLI incompatible, I thought it was series.

holy_cow

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
not really savvy of video memory usage so i hva couple of questions:

Are there games today that use over 384MB of video?

What could really make them "need" more memory?
AA or crazy definition textures? or high resolutions like 1920x1200 and over?

Thanks in advance for the answer ;)

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Yep, high resolutions, settings, AA, AF make quick use of texture memory.

There's a few games I can think of that could use more under certain instances.