What is better vbscript or kixstart for mapped drives?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I am currently using vbscript in a GPO for mapped drives. Is it better to
use kixstart or something else instead and specify that in the user login
path?

Thanks

At my org, we use just plain batch processing to map using net use commands

Ken

"Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using vbscript in a GPO for mapped drives. Is it better to
> use kixstart or something else instead and specify that in the user login
> path?
>
> Thanks

Tony,

Can not really tell you which is better. I use kixstart at one location and
..vbs in several others. I prefer either of these over the old school .bat
or .cmd logon scripts.

What is it that causes you to ask this question? Is there something that
you would like to do but can not do it?

Cary

"Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
> I am currently using vbscript in a GPO for mapped drives. Is it better to
> use kixstart or something else instead and specify that in the user login
> path?
>
> Thanks

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Baisically, I want to push mapped drives and printers to users, as we are
moving away from novell. I would rather not have any login script windows
pop up. I noticed that using a login vbscript via gpo, sometimes I would get
a mapped drive based on group membership but sometimes I wouldnt. Then I
have to do a gpupdate /force and maybe just log off and log back on and it
will reappear again. Weird.

I would prefer sticking to vbscript if either one works the same way.

Thanks
"Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Tony,
>
> Can not really tell you which is better. I use kixstart at one location
> and
> .vbs in several others. I prefer either of these over the old school .bat
> or .cmd logon scripts.
>
> What is it that causes you to ask this question? Is there something that
> you would like to do but can not do it?
>
> Cary
>
> "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
>> I am currently using vbscript in a GPO for mapped drives. Is it better to
>> use kixstart or something else instead and specify that in the user login
>> path?
>>
>> Thanks

Tony,

With the vb script and gpo - are the problem computers WINXP Pro? I bet the
WIN2000 systems do not have a problem with this.

Cary

"Tony" <tonyw@suse.stanford.edu> wrote in message
> Baisically, I want to push mapped drives and printers to users, as we are
> moving away from novell. I would rather not have any login script windows
> pop up. I noticed that using a login vbscript via gpo, sometimes I would
get
> a mapped drive based on group membership but sometimes I wouldnt. Then I
> have to do a gpupdate /force and maybe just log off and log back on and it
> will reappear again. Weird.
>
> I would prefer sticking to vbscript if either one works the same way.
>
> Thanks
> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > Tony,
> >
> > Can not really tell you which is better. I use kixstart at one location
> > and
> > .vbs in several others. I prefer either of these over the old school
..bat
> > or .cmd logon scripts.
> >
> > What is it that causes you to ask this question? Is there something
that
> > you would like to do but can not do it?
> >
> > Cary
> >
> > "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
> >> I am currently using vbscript in a GPO for mapped drives. Is it better
> >> use kixstart or something else instead and specify that in the user
login
> >> path?
> >>
> >> Thanks

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Cary,

yes just winXP machines. is this a known issue?
> Tony,
>
> With the vb script and gpo - are the problem computers WINXP Pro? I bet
> the
> WIN2000 systems do not have a problem with this.
>
> Cary
>
> "Tony" <tonyw@suse.stanford.edu> wrote in message
>> Baisically, I want to push mapped drives and printers to users, as we are
>> moving away from novell. I would rather not have any login script windows
>> pop up. I noticed that using a login vbscript via gpo, sometimes I would
> get
>> a mapped drive based on group membership but sometimes I wouldnt. Then I
>> have to do a gpupdate /force and maybe just log off and log back on and
>> it
>> will reappear again. Weird.
>>
>> I would prefer sticking to vbscript if either one works the same way.
>>
>> Thanks
>> "Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]" <cwshultz@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> > Tony,
>> >
>> > Can not really tell you which is better. I use kixstart at one
>> > location
>> > and
>> > .vbs in several others. I prefer either of these over the old school
> .bat
>> > or .cmd logon scripts.
>> >
>> > What is it that causes you to ask this question? Is there something
> that
>> > you would like to do but can not do it?
>> >
>> > Cary
>> >
>> > "Tony" <noone@noone.com> wrote in message
> login

Yes,

It is fast logon optimization. Look that up here in this newsgroup or in
the MSKB. Here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305293

HTH,