GPO default Update time

I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to go
into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've heard a
variety of numbers. Thanks

Bruce
8 answers Last reply
More about default update time

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:05:15 -0500, "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com> wrote:

    >I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to go
    >into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've heard a
    >variety of numbers. Thanks
    >
    >Bruce

    See tip 2184 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for the various defaults AND how to adjust them.

    Jerold Schulman
    Windows: General MVP
    JSI, Inc.
    http://www.jsiinc.com

    It seems upwards of 10 - 12 hours for for us, I was just inquiring about
    this as well -- as I was under the impression it occured within 90 - 120min.

    "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com> wrote in message
    >I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to
    >go into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've
    >heard a variety of numbers. Thanks
    >
    > Bruce

    Thank you

    "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
    > It seems upwards of 10 - 12 hours for for us, I was just inquiring about
    > this as well -- as I was under the impression it occured within 90 -
    > 120min.
    >
    > "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com> wrote in message
    >>I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to
    >>go into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've
    >>heard a variety of numbers. Thanks
    >>
    >> Bruce

    With Win2k, it was 30 minutes for computers and immediate for Domain
    Controllers.

    Check out this article - might help:

    "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
    > It seems upwards of 10 - 12 hours for for us, I was just inquiring about
    > this as well -- as I was under the impression it occured within 90 -
    120min.

    > "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com> wrote in message
    > >I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to
    > >go into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've
    > >heard a variety of numbers. Thanks
    > >
    > > Bruce

    Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to have
    changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on our
    DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
    before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy managed
    bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .

    Looking at a client App log I see:
    11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
    11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704

    /shrug

    "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:05:15 -0500, "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy to
    >>go
    >>into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've heard
    >>variety of numbers. Thanks
    >>
    >>Bruce
    >>
    > See tip 2184 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for the
    > various defaults AND how to adjust them.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Here is part of the "Explain" tab for GP Refresh Interval on a 2003 AD
    server:

    "Specifies how often Group Policy for computers is updated while the
    computer is in use (in the background). This setting specifies a background
    update rate only for Group Policies in the Computer Configuration folder.

    In addition to background updates, Group Policy for the computer is always
    updated when the system starts.

    By default, computer Group Policy is updated in the background every 90
    minutes, with a random offset of 0 to 30 minutes.

    You can specify an update rate from 0 to 64,800 minutes (45 days). If you
    select 0 minutes, the computer tries to update Group Policy every 7 seconds.
    However, because updates might interfere with users' work and increase
    network traffic, very short update intervals are not appropriate for most
    installations.

    If you disable this setting, Group Policy is updated every 90 minutes (the
    default). To specify that Group Policy should never be updated while the
    computer is in use, select the "Turn off background refresh of Group Policy"
    policy."

    So, in XP, the default is 90 mins. You can change this by following this
    article:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/gpe_setrefresh.mspx

    Gabe

    > Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to have
    > changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on
    our
    > DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
    > before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy managed
    > bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .
    >
    > Looking at a client App log I see:
    > 11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
    > 11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704
    >
    > /shrug
    >

    > "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:05:15 -0500, "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com>
    wrote:

    > >>I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy
    > >>go
    > >>into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've
    heard
    > >>variety of numbers. Thanks
    > >>
    > >>Bruce
    > >>
    > > See tip 2184 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for the
    > > various defaults AND how to adjust them.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    And, you can always run GPUpdate.exe on the boxes (as admin) to update the
    policy right away.

    "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
    > Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to have
    > changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on
    our
    > DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
    > before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy managed
    > bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .
    >
    > Looking at a client App log I see:
    > 11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
    > 11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704
    >
    > /shrug
    >

    > "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:05:15 -0500, "Bruce" <blandon@termnetinc.com>
    wrote:

    > >>I just linked a new GPO to an OU. How long does it take for the policy
    > >>go
    > >>into effect for the users inside that OU? 90 minutes? 12 hours? I've
    heard
    > >>variety of numbers. Thanks
    > >>
    > >>Bruce
    > >>
    > > See tip 2184 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for the
    > > various defaults AND how to adjust them.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Thanks for all you info everyone.

    You'll have to forgive me as I am new to GP. I must not have something setup
    properly. I linked the GP to an OU around 3pm yesterday afternoon and I can
    not get the policy to take effect for any groups inside that OU. I have run
    gpupdate at a couple of the client PC's while they are logged in and then I
    have them log back in and no changes. Any ideas what could possibly be the
    issue here?

    I have a 2000 Domain server which I am using GPMC on my XP Pro desktop to
    manage GP's.

    Bruce

    "Gabe Knuth" <news@gabeknuth.com (not for legit emails, use my first name @
    gabeknuth.com for those)> wrote in message
    > And, you can always run GPUpdate.exe on the boxes (as admin) to update the
    > policy right away.
    >

    > "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
    >> Yah that tip references w2k machines and for us at least, it seems to
    >> have
    >> changed for Xp boxes. We're just using the default refresh intervals on
    > our
    >> DCs and clients and it definitely takes a lot longer than 90min +/- 30
    >> before the policy is applied. Not a huge deal, most of the policy
    >> managed
    >> bit isn't so critical it has to be pushed out immediately .
    >>
    >> Looking at a client App log I see:
    >> 11/02/04 6:00PM SceCli 1704 and the next one isn't until:
    >> 11/03/04 11:36AM SceCli 1704
    >>
    >> /shrug
    >>

    >> "Jerold Schulman" <Jerry@jsiinc.com> wrote in message

    > heard

    >> > See tip 2184 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com for the
    >> > various defaults AND how to adjust them.

Policy Default Microsoft Windows