Sign in with
Your question

Second best after Tuniq Tower

Last response: in Overclocking
January 23, 2007 12:44:17 PM

I'm not happy with my idle temps of 41-42 that Zalman 9500 provides. (C2D E6300 stock speed). TAT at 60% load easily pushes it into the 50+ domain. Reseating didn't help much. I suspect, that the mounting bracket size does not allow for enough downward pressure. Its pretty easy to move the heatsink around once its in place.

Using our analog of froogle, I couldn't find any mention of the Tuniq Tower in any store in Moscow. It appears they've never crossed the borders :cry:  ,

What would be similar in performance? i.e. - A big-ass pile of pipes and fins cooled with a low-rpm 12 cm fan?

More about : tuniq tower

January 23, 2007 1:44:27 PM

Did you look at the mounting base on your Zalman? I've read where some have a warped base that doesn't make full contact with the CPU. If it's warped, put a piece of emery cloth on a solid, flat surface, and grind the thing back and forth until it flattens out. Also, do you have fan controlllers in BIOS -- if so, they may be set to "silent," which would give the temps you indicated with that fan.
January 23, 2007 5:39:41 PM

Take a look at the Thermalright Ultra 120 and a Nexus 120mm D12SL-12 (Real Silent Case Fan). They may or may not be available in your area, but it's a place to start.
Related resources
January 24, 2007 4:58:01 AM

Those two are not available either. But every store seems to take pride in having a separate section for Zalman produce, doh.

I use FanMate2, so BIOS can't be blamed. Either way, max rpm shaved off a degree or 2, that's it.

Scythe Infinity IS available, but I'm kinda scared after reading some angry posts ))
January 24, 2007 5:19:11 AM

I recently built an E6600 C2D w/ a msi p965 platinum MB, corsair ddr2 800 ram (1.9volt 5-5-5-12), raptor 150gb HD, x1950 XT, with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro HSF. I overclocked to a very stable 3.2g and 40C temp under full load (with loads of room for more overclock). In other words, if you are able to purchase the AF pro for ~ the 30 American dollars equivalent I did, you can't beat it. Just one opinion. Everyones results vary.
January 24, 2007 2:59:32 PM

I have the same fan (Zalman) on a E6400, P5B mb, and my temps are in the low 30's. Did you look at the flatness of the base? That would account for it shifting around after mounted. Did you use a good thermal grease, like Arctic Silver, and not just the pasting that comes on the HSF?
January 24, 2007 4:55:38 PM

That's too bad, because that's an excellent combination of quality cooling and a quiet fan.

Angry posts on the Infinity???? Please elaborate as it would be an excellent choice as well. As for the fan, I'd see what your options are and then go online and see if you can find any reviews that have used them. Papst, NMB, Panaflo & Yate Loon are good products to start with.
January 24, 2007 5:11:53 PM

Cooler Master Hyper series.
January 24, 2007 5:19:00 PM

Low 30s? Damn. It must be the uneven base then.
Thermal grease that I use is the best thing next to Arctic Silver available here - called KPT-8. A.S. is pretty hard to get a hold of. Very few suppliers carry it, and if they do - its out of stock immediately. I'll try my luck with 9700 I guess, if emery cloth fails.
January 25, 2007 7:34:27 AM

I guess I'll go with a Ninja rev. B then. My case is not that small (Thermaltake Swing mid. tower) but still..

Thanks for the input guys.
January 25, 2007 9:43:56 AM

I would go for either the Scythe Infinity or Thermaltake Big Typhoon.
January 25, 2007 5:08:47 PM

Now, if I decide to give 9500 a chance to redeem itself - what kinda emery paper do I use? I mean - initial grain size, and the one suitable at the final stage?
January 25, 2007 7:50:14 PM

The 9500 doesnt deserve to be sold, it should be beaten into oblivion, its copper melted down, and crafted into something worthy enough to actually be mentioned on this holy forum. Maybe the heatpipes on a Tuniq Tower 120. although the molten metal would have to be blessed first, by the holy trinity of computing master minds. as to not anger the gods of the realm of CPUs. That would be the first victim of the great war of 2007, said to last until a cpu is forged, one capable of 1000 IPC, one that will bring forth a new era of computers. As told in the divine scriptures etched into the die of the first of the great.
January 25, 2007 9:02:22 PM

Quote:

Thats the most beautiful thing ive seen today.

Given the chance i would disembowel the lead designer of the 9500 with a Klingon mek'leth.
January 25, 2007 9:32:02 PM

Quote:
What would be similar in performance? i.e. - A big-ass pile of pipes and fins cooled with a low-rpm 12 cm fan?
I love my Scythe Infinity, it works great. I wish i could have used MX-1 instead of Arctic Silver 5 though.
January 25, 2007 9:35:33 PM

Wow, if i was the poor guy trying to teach that...thing about computers i would beat her with a folding chair after about a minute and a half. Christ, how can a person be that stupid? I was feeling a mix between burning hot anger, disgust, and loathing when watching that video.

I'd love to see what happened when she actually tried to install the cpu. 8O
January 25, 2007 9:44:01 PM

Don't really understand why people hate Zalman so much.

zozzoz, something is fucked. Whether it be a defect on the heatsink or your processor or I don't know. I have an overlocked E6600 with the 9500 and it idles at 30C. Zalman might not be the absolute best around but they certainly aren't shit.
January 25, 2007 9:47:00 PM

Quote:

But I think that explains why the arabs think the white people are infidels
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0gmoXlNdElM

Ive seen that clip like 5 times in the last two days.

If i knew house where that show was being filmed, and i knew that that chick was there, i would crash a plane loaded with C4 into it in a second. I might try to bail out of the plane at the last minute, but if i died i would have no regrets.
January 25, 2007 9:52:47 PM

Hey, do you have a fan on the side panel of your case? You can do a minor mod and install a 120mm fan and air duct to direct air to that Zalman cooler. Trust me it will drop the temperature, like your in Siberia during winter. Okay, maybe not that much but as for example I used to have a Big Typhoon on my cpu with that it gives 35-38c idle, but as soon as I got my side fan mod it drops the temps down to 32c idle and most of all the stress temps are down really good. I used to have close to 60c with overclocking but with the side fan and air duct I got them temps not to go over 50c on gaming. So either you can get a better cooler or do this mod or both.
January 25, 2007 10:14:42 PM

Quote:
I love my Scythe Infinity, it works great. I wish i could have used MX-1 instead of Arctic Silver 5 though.

MX-1? Isnt that the paste by Arctic Cooling? Whats so special about it?

OT

I lost my sandwich. I had half a pastrami, ham, roastbeef, and swiss sandwich. I was chewing on it 2 minutes ago. I have no idea where it is now. Help me.
January 25, 2007 10:24:05 PM

Quote:
yes they are, trust me, I own a 9500 and it cools only as good as the stock amd heatpipe cooler, just quiter. It's demolished by the $30 acf64/acf7pro, and is $20 more. Then the 9700 came out at $80, and was demolished by the tuniq tower, and it's $30 more. It's all price to performance

Then I don't understand. How can it perform so much differently for different people? With a 600 mhz overclock mine idles at 30C. That seems a lot better than the stock cooler to me.
January 25, 2007 11:26:40 PM

Quote:
MX-1? Isnt that the paste by Arctic Cooling? Whats so special about it?

Yes, it's made by Arctic Cooling, too bad it was out of stock when I got my computer.
Quote:
mx-1 in general cools a few C better than as5, but a new diamond paste on the way should offer the best results yet
That's why :) 
January 26, 2007 12:07:29 AM

Quote:
As for the zalman, mine idles at about 43 with my side panel closed and no extra fans helping it with a 1ghz oc. The oc isn't even stable because of how crappy the zalman is, but if I turn on a few 120cfm fans and open the side panel and my window, I get a very loud freezing room that gives me worthwhile temps of about 33 idle, but I have seen my zalman touch 50C+ before, and so I don't push my cpu anymore

That's weird then. My room is relatively hot normally and my Armor case has a 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust, and two 90mm fans on the top and back and it's quieter than my old Dell that had only one fan. With a 1.2 Ghz overclock (3.6 Ghz), mine idled at 46C. While that might not be the best temperature in the world, that's one hell of an overclock for a processor. It was stable too. Lets see you try that with the stock heatsink.
January 26, 2007 1:22:08 PM

I don't hate Zalman, I rather like their products. I have a VF-700cu, although I have never used the 9500.
January 26, 2007 2:28:08 PM

Quote:
I don't hate Zalman, I rather like their products. I have a VF-700cu, although I have never used the 9500.

HERESY!!!
January 26, 2007 5:04:49 PM

Yeah, its like a bad nutmeg trip.
January 26, 2007 5:42:35 PM

Quote:
I would go for either the Scythe Infinity or Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

My last cooler was the scythe infinity and while it was a good cooler my new Tuniq Tower out performs it hands down. Im getting a good 12c cooler on load and idle temps now :wink:

What kind of case is that your using? Is it the Cooler Master Centurion 5? I have this case and was just wondering if the Tuniq Tower 120 fits in it?

Thanks
January 26, 2007 7:52:51 PM

The first place i found it was on the forum of a podcast i listen too (Bastardcast YEAH!!!), but they quit (it was between there jobs or the show.) about a year ago. The website was torn down on the 1st of this month, so i couldnt access there forum anymore, a quick good search led me to a web site with the same emoticon.
January 26, 2007 8:03:05 PM

You would have to get a cohost named flea, and you would have to chnage your name to Justin.
January 26, 2007 8:16:20 PM

I love the Swedish, and the Germans.
January 26, 2007 8:31:42 PM

Eh, they havent been the same since that little incident in 1945...
January 26, 2007 8:50:37 PM

Hitler was Japanese?
January 26, 2007 9:04:17 PM

Thats why robots are so popular there, they have to transfer there brains into radiation resistant bodies before the next strike.
January 26, 2007 9:16:08 PM

In the last 4 hours ive had 5 large coffees with 2 shhots of expresso each. Im feeling pretty awake right now to say the least.
January 26, 2007 9:32:32 PM

Quote:
I'm not happy with my idle temps of 41-42 that Zalman 9500 provides. (C2D E6300 stock speed). TAT at 60% load easily pushes it into the 50+ domain.

you just dont know how to correctly place a heatsink.
January 28, 2007 3:21:21 PM

Lol, poor laptop. :( 

Dont worry, ive switched to Bawls soda and mints to get my caffeine fix.
January 28, 2007 7:50:53 PM

wtffffffffffffffffffff
January 28, 2007 8:03:59 PM

Please stop with your ramdomness! :!: :!: :!: :!:

congrats, but I have other important things to do like school projects and work. A forum wont stop me from achieving my goals.
January 28, 2007 8:12:22 PM

Im not saying you dont study, just that I do take care more of school than a forum which will give me nothing back.

I dont know important the forum is to you, but I think you have take it very seriously. Most people in here discuss alot how you went so high on days (not even weeks)
January 28, 2007 8:27:11 PM

I dont jugde you, you can spend your time here anyway you want. And hey thx, bcz now I know that I can talk with somebody about RAM cuz I know u know a lot about them.

It doesnt matter if some guy has 100 posts today and 5000 tomorrow, you have your own life, they probably have no life and dont do anything about it, maybe they dont even care about it. You know, I once read that those guys, are kinda unsocial. Dont know, I cant prove it, Ill leave it there.

and yes, people discuss about you. how your posts go like coca cola selling coke products...
January 28, 2007 9:24:34 PM

Quote:
yes they are, trust me, I own a 9500 and it cools only as good as the stock amd heatpipe cooler, just quiter.

Huh? There are numerous online reviews that shows the 9500 to cool significantly better than the stock AMD cooler. Like 6 or 7C cooler if I remember right.

Quote:
It's demolished by the $30 acf64/acf7pro, and is $20 more.

That's not been my experience nor the reviews I've read. Demolished? I think I've seen a review somewhere where the AC was listed at 1C cooler but others show the 9500 at 2C cooler.

Quote:
Then the 9700 came out at $80, and was demolished by the tuniq tower, and it's $30 more. It's all price to performance

Actually, the first time I saw the 9700 for sale, it was $45 on Newegg. That's what I paid. My first Tuniq was over $60 and I think my second was ~$55. But in this review, the 9700 was the best performer in terms of max cooling power. I've directly compared the 9700 to the Tuniq on an Opteron 170 at 2.6GHz (stock volts) and a 4400+ at 2.6 (stock volts) and the results were very close between the Tuniq and the 9700. The peak temps during dual prime were very close with the 9700 being a degree C cooler or equal to the Tuniq. So for me, the price/performance edge goes to the 9700. The last time I looked, the 9700 and the Tuniq were both $60 on Newegg. I found the 9700 to be a simpler install too. So all I can say is I own all of the coolers you discussed and have been swapping them around on all of our AMD and Intel PCs. The Zalmans have performed very well compared to the competition. The Thermalright is still my personal favorite and the Tuniq is a great big heavy anchor who's performance does not justify its mass nor its hassle to me. But if that's what you like, go use it and ebay your 9500. You won't have any problem selling it for a fair price.
January 28, 2007 9:28:30 PM

Quote:
And I'm finally beating you post wise slim

Why does that matter? You talk about price/performance in HSFs and that extrapolates to post quality too.
January 28, 2007 9:29:51 PM

Quote:
and so I responded with an enthusiastic meh

Why, because you didn't like the review I linked? Or because I've been working with all of these and other coolers nonstop for the last year and my results don't agree with your opinions?
January 28, 2007 9:48:18 PM

Quote:
and my responce is that I'm too tired to mes with you right now, I just came back from winter camping trip and I'm exhausted, I don't feel like pulling off the research to prove my point right now

Not sure what you mean by "research". Are you going to do a review yourself? If so, I look forward to it. So far, I have not seen a thorough review online comparing the current best. I've seen people here lately saying that the Ninja outcools the 9700 and obviously, the Madshrimps review disagrees in a big way. So do my results. But that doesn't stop people here that have not even used both of them to diss on the Zalman.
January 28, 2007 11:28:29 PM

Quote:
If I get the time and money, I make you a review, but what I mean is find reviews that actually compare the tuniq and zalman side by side. Really pisses me off how there isn't a single review that I've seen yet that actually places the infinity, tuniq and 9700 side by side in dba and temperature, because we can't know how good they are compared to each other without a consistan environment

Within reason, the SPLs don't mean much to me. If I'm rendering video or running a CPU app like a game, the noise doesn't mean so much because my GPU is air cooled and is louder than my HSF (and still not much of an irritation). It won't be long before you see a review of the new good stuff, I'm sure of that. I have to get my new Tuniq into the rotation to see if it does better than my first one. With all the raves by users, either they haven't used other good HSFs or my first one is a lemon.
January 29, 2007 7:23:01 PM

Quote:
It doesn't, me and slim just like to joke around with each other, and we just kinda notive these small things that don't mean anything, just kinda have fun with it

and my responce is that I'm too tired to mes with you right now, I just came back from winter camping trip and I'm exhausted, I don't feel like pulling off the research to prove my point right now

Taco,I know we are just playing with this post count, but you make this look like we are in a competence or something thats why people think wrong about you.

Ive heard people talking of you in a thread. I dont remember who it was and even if I would, I wouldnt say his name. I dont want problems with anybdoy.

As for the zalman thing, lets all leave that in the past, whatever cooler you feel like buying, buy it. BOTH have their advantages AND disavantages.
January 29, 2007 8:59:48 PM

Why hasn;t anyone mentioned Noctua?
!