Troubleshooting Help with Intel Mobo Needed

JeffTex42

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Replaced an Intel D915PBLL with a D945GTPLN motherboard. The system was stable before the change, but the old mobo was having issues with a new graphics card, so I decided to change. The new board initially booted fine out of the box - at least into BIOS configuration. It reported everything was there and working. I didn't try to boot into XP as I intend to do a clean install with the new mobo.

I flashed the BIOS (via floppy drive) to version 1788, as the Intel site said you have to flash 1788 before flashing to 4045 - the latest and greatest. The flash reported success and it told me to reboot.

Intel BIOS Download Page

After reboot ... DEAD. The fans are spinning (case, CPU, and PSU), but nothing else happens. No beeps, no video, no indication that anything is happening. I attempted to do a BIOS recovery and nothing.

I'm not sure what to do next. I'll put the CPU and memory back into the D915PBLL mobo to make sure I didn't burn either up, but other than that what else can I do?

Thanks,
Jeff

Intel D945GTPLN mobo (was D915PBLL)
Intel Pentium 4 3.2 (540J)
1G Corsair DDR2-533
Sapphire X1900GT

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I tried searching the Intel site for your board (D945GTPLN) but did not get any hits. I did come across this page for troubleshooting AMT issues with the D945GTP listed and it appears that not all D945GTP boards support ATM. Here is the link:

(http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023665.htm)

The only thing I can think of is to try resetting the BIOS and then see if you can do a BIOS recovery. If your board is one that does not support AMT then maybe a recovery to the current version (or the one that was on the board when you got it) may work.

If not it sounds like contacting Intel tech support for a replacement BIOS is in order.

Good Luck

JeffTex42

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Sorry ... should have been D945GTPLR (not LN). My bad. That version does not have AMT.

I tried to clear the bios and do a BIOS recovery, but the box wouldn't do anything. Fans run, and that's it.

I'm wondering if I somehow fried the processor. Thinking back, I didn't pay too much attention to the amount of grease I put on the CPU before I locked the cooler (Thermaltake Golden Orb II) down on it.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Your idea of repopulating the old board and seeing if things still work there is a good one. If they do then it is either the BIOS fried or something on the new board. Then RMAing the new board might be the quickest solutiion.

Edit: Additional clarificaiton. If I am reading the Intel site correctly, if the board is not AMT then you do not need to flash to a previous version of BIOS to update. Thus my suggestion on going directly to the current version.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
After reboot ... DEAD. The fans are spinning (case, CPU, and PSU), but nothing else happens. No beeps, no video, no indication that anything is happening. I attempted to do a BIOS recovery and nothing

From my experience that's not a problem with wrong BIOS recovery. It would make beeps otherwise.

Try updating to the latest BIOS via Recovery BIOS anyway though, it might just work.

JeffTex42

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Turns out the motherboard is fried. I installed the CPU and memory in the old motherboard and it works fine. I switched it back a couple times to make sure. I set up an RMA for the board.

I don't have an explaination why flashing the bios would fry the board, and maybe it was a coincidence. Either way ... back it goes.

Thanks for the input.