The Intel Bias In the Forum

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
After being here a couple of months, and of course seeing all levels and qualities of comments of all variety, I can reasonably conclude there is a pervasive pro-Intel bias in the forum, even among many of the most knowledgeable members.

That is, there are many who seem biased, along with many who do not, and that goes for both Intel and AMD, but more often for Intel.

By bias, I mean a preference for Intel even in certain situations where Intel chips do not have an advantage. For instance, a very careful review linked in the "[H]ardOCP Real-World Gaming CPU Comparison with 8800 GTX SLI" thread does careful comparisons both with all things being equal, and also with differences, in order to draw a very complete picture, but even some very knowledgable folks whom I find to generally make great posts here saw it as just biased, because they could not imagine otherwise?? (or perhaps just didn't read though it carefully).

[edit: I think they did catch that error later, but what is interesting is exactly that they made the initial error! That's bias.]

It's like it's hard to admit that for certain price points, there are AMD chips that are good bargains in terms of price/performance, using the Tom's Hardware metric in their price/performance reviews, for example.

Like, even if that was true (it often has been and is), we'd be careful to imply otherwise (misleadingly)!

Like we would not ever want to ever admit some AMD chip is a good choice for anyone right now. Instead, we must guide them to a C2duo setup.

We'd recommend a C2duo even to someone who already had a AM2 board and was looking to upgrade their game performance. I've actually seen that!

So what's the deal?

It's ok, in fact, it's great, if these are Intel system builders, or engineers, or whatever. That's great, and I love the detailed knowledge.

But this isn't the "Intel Forum", it's the "CPU forum".

For the record, I own both Intel and AMD stock, and have owned Intel longer, and am delighted with the great Intel improvements!

But of course Intel is losing a lot of profits right now (and the stock price shows that), since Intel has sacraficed profits with a price war, possibly due to poor planning, possibly to some other reason.

So I like Intel and AMD both, and I won't even bother to respond to any flames here.

Instead, I'm curious about whether I'm right about the pervasive bias.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
When the Core 2 Duo was released, it was inevitable there would be a price war. Why would AMD keep their chip prices high if they are competing with their competitor?

It's true that alot of people endorse Intel because of its performance and overclockability versus AMD's comparable chips. Also, alot of the major companies like Dell and HP have been aggressively marketing gaming and business desktops with C2D more than AMD's alternative.

If I was on a tight budget and had an AMD motherboard, then I would go with one of the AMD X2's. I think some people might be angry at AMD's quick trigger with QuadFX and delays with R600 (when its rumored to be already done).

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
bah!

If K8L makes up ground and has a decent overclock then the forums will run Green again. But, youll have to hang around another 6 months to see.

Until then C2D is the better platform.

Some forum members do get a bit carried away with some of their suggestions, especially suggesting platform changes for meager gains. But that happens just about anywhere.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
When the Core 2 Duo was released, it was inevitable there would be a price war. Why would AMD keep their chip prices high if they are competing with their competitor?

It's true that alot of people endorse Intel because of its performance and overclockability versus AMD's comparable chips. Also, alot of the major companies like Dell and HP have been aggressively marketing gaming and business desktops with C2D more than AMD's alternative.

If I was on a tight budget and had an AMD motherboard, then I would go with one of the AMD X2's. I think some people might be angry at AMD's quick trigger with QuadFX and delays with R600 (when its rumored to be already done).

It's interesting. I did not think of the possibility of anger at AMD as behind some posts.

AMD is probably doing as well as they possibly can, trying to do what they need to survive for the long run picture like 10 years out.

Let's hope that they do, since we have all benefitted tremendously from AMD, witness the existence of the C2duo currently.

If we are lucky the K8L will be great, and that would be very beneficial for everyone here, with the possible exception of Intel employees.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The thing is that for any price point over $180 Intel chips are better, period. The reson many people suggest Intel for people who already have AMD is that frequently it is only slightly more expensive to get a 6300 and an Intel mobo then to get a lower performing CPU from AMD.

Additionally until K8L comes out and we can see if it lives up to AMD's statements AM2 should be considered something of a dead-end, until K8L comes out the BEST AM2 is equal to a mid-range (and much cheaper) C2D. The only real point to suggesting AMD is if the person is looking for a CPU upgrade that will cost less than $300, anything more and it's better to go C2D.

By the way, from the release of the OG Athlon until the release of the C2D I would never have considered an Intel chip, so I'm not some crazed fanboy pushing Intel, in fact if I was buying a CPU for anything other than top performance I would actually buy AMD to help ensure future competition.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
9 Months ago there was a definite AMD bias. This is a performance/enthusiast board, so lots of viable options get negative responses because the responses are always colored by the enthusiast's view. Just as the standard recommendation is for C2D, for obvious price/performance reasons (esp. when OC'd), the standard recommendation is against white box or big name PC's, even when there is no other viable option at certain price points ($300 with Windows).

You talk about someone with an AM2 board wanting to upgrade and getting a C2D recommendation; in an enthusiast's eyes the 10% gain for $200 to go to a midrange AMD processor is a waste of money when ~$300 will get you to an OC'd e6300 with as much as a 100% gain on that mid-range AMD offering.

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Well said. Price/performance talks the loudest here, usually. Only the occassional troll skews things, mostly it's reasonably balanced, but a good troll fight is good for the blood once in a while - we'd probably never see Jumping Jack if he didn't have a crusade to keep him coming back.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
9 Months ago there was a definite AMD bias. This is a performance/enthusiast board, so lots of viable options get negative responses because the responses are always colored by the enthusiast's view. Just as the standard recommendation is for C2D, for obvious price/performance reasons (esp. when OC'd), the standard recommendation is against white box or big name PC's, even when there is no other viable option at certain price points ($300 with Windows).

You talk about someone with an AM2 board wanting to upgrade and getting a C2D recommendation; in an enthusiast's eyes the 10% gain for $200 to go to a midrange AMD processor is a waste of money when ~$300 will get you to an OC'd e6300 with as much as a 100% gain on that mid-range AMD offering.
And it's also against Netburst(An Intel product :wink: ) under almost all situations...sort of killing the Intel bias theory. :D

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
What you see in the forums is typically a lot of fanboys. The AMD fanboys Baron excepted have gone mute because the price/performance of the Core2Duo chips exceeds AMD's. If you had been reading this a year ago you would have heard the praises of AMD and Intel refered to as coffee pot heaters. The last three machines I have built were AMD's which I guess would qualify me as an AMD fan but the one I just finished was a Core2Duo because the price/performance just wasn't there for AMD.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
fredgiblet said:
The thing is that for any price point over $180 Intel chips are better, period. The reson many people suggest Intel for people who already have AMD is that frequently it is only slightly more expensive to get a 6300 and an Intel mobo then to get a lower performing CPU from AMD.... quote]

That's simply not accurate.

If you think it is accurate, give a concrete example.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to recommend upgrades to those owning AMD motherboards, 939 or AM2, according to their goals, as price efficient and effective. There are exceptions, but those are less common.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

I trust I make recommendations that *make sense*.

So, it's improved graphics and sometimes memory for AM2 upgrade, usually.

It's dual core 939 for single core wanting an upgrade, and often a low end opty.

etc.

Recomendations that make sense.

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
My only comment to this would be to ask if you would be making a post like this if the forum were slanted mostly in favor of AMD?

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
What you see in the forums is typically a lot of fanboys. The AMD fanboys Baron excepted have gone mute because the price/performance of the Core2Duo chips exceeds AMD's. If you had been reading this a year ago you would have heard the praises of AMD and Intel refered to as coffee pot heaters. The last three machines I have built were AMD's which I guess would qualify me as an AMD fan but the one I just finished was a Core2Duo because the price/performance just wasn't there for AMD.

To calculate the Price/performance, you need a metric.

Tom's Hardware Guide offers an excellent general metric.

You then divide the price by the performance metric, for each processor in question. The ratio: better is lower.

So.... " the price/performance of the Core2Duo chips exceeds AMD's."

This statement you made is not correct, because it doesn't make exceptions. Individual chips are exceptions to that generalization. Calculate for the Am2 X2 3800 for example and compare to e6400, both of which have excellent ratios. Current prices at same site (Newegg) are $135 for the 3800 and $222 for the 6400.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
After being here a couple of months, and of course seeing all levels and qualities of comments of all variety, I can reasonably conclude there is a pervasive pro-Intel bias in the forum, even among many of the most knowledgeable members.
Glad you brought up real facts when you came to this conclusion... oh wait, you didn't. All you did was conclude something, so all this is is a raw assumption with no logic backing it up. So, I can reasonably conclude that you are wrong.

That is, there are many who seem biased, along with many who do not, and that goes for both Intel and AMD, but more often for Intel.
This is incredibly debatable, and it's kind of pointless. There are those that will buy 4x4 even though it's going to turn their house into a sauna, run up the electricity bill, and cost more than Intel's current quad-core offering. That's fine, and you won't hear me dissing those people (unless they insist that 4x4 is better in every way, in which case I will have a problem).

By bias, I mean a preference for Intel even in certain situations where Intel chips do not have an advantage. For instance, a very careful review linked in the "[H]ardOCP Real-World Gaming CPU Comparison with 8800 GTX SLI" thread does careful comparisons both with all things being equal, and also with differences, in order to draw a very complete picture, but even some very knowledgable folks whom I find to generally make great posts here saw it as just biased, because they could not imagine otherwise?? (or perhaps just didn't read though it carefully).

[edit: I think they did catch that error later, but what is interesting is exactly that they made the initial error! That's bias.]
I'm really not sure what your point is. They were comparing the systems using the "maximum playable level", which was usually higher on the C2D system (more AA, more AF). Here's a quote from said review:

"Just to give you another form of comparison we decided to set all the in-game settings at the same levels as well as antialiasing levels to directly compare platforms “apples-to-apples.” If you are all about frame rate, the difference is obvious."

Their point is that if you throttle your settings down a little, the AMD system performs just fine. But, they don't make any bones about the fact that the C2D does outperform it. Make sense?

It's like it's hard to admit that for certain price points, there are AMD chips that are good bargains in terms of price/performance, using the Tom's Hardware metric in their price/performance reviews, for example.
I don't think that a lot of people will argue the fact that for budget systems, AMD has some great offerings.

Like, even if that was true (it often has been and is), we'd be careful to imply otherwise (misleadingly)!

Like we would not ever want to ever admit some AMD chip is a good choice for anyone right now. Instead, we must guide them to a C2duo setup.
Like you are like wrong like. I think AMD chips are still a good choice in a lot of instances.

We'd recommend a C2duo even to someone who already had a AM2 board and was looking to upgrade their game performance. I've actually seen that!
Depends on a lot of factors such as budget, what games they are playing, etc.

So what's the deal?

It's ok, in fact, it's great, if these are Intel system builders, or engineers, or whatever. That's great, and I love the detailed knowledge.

But this isn't the "Intel Forum", it's the "CPU forum".
Too true. It's also not the AMD Forum, so I don't see your point. I don't see a lot of people recommending VIA's new CPUs, so we're biased!! Alert the press!!

For the record, I own both Intel and AMD stock, and have owned Intel longer, and am delighted with the great Intel improvements!

But of course Intel is losing a lot of profits right now (and the stock price shows that), since Intel has sacraficed profits with a price war, possibly due to poor planning, possibly to some other reason.
What do you mean when you say they sacrificed their profits in a price war? What price war are you talking about? AFAIK Intel's profit margins are actually quite high as far as companies go. Data?

So I like Intel and AMD both, and I won't even bother to respond to any flames here.

Instead, I'm curious about whether I'm right about the pervasive bias.
I own Intel and AMD CPUs and I like them both as well. Finally something we can agree on. :D

My point in dissecting your post was to show you that you are jumping to conclusions with no data to back yourself up. Stop it. ;)

Noob bias in AMD supporters.

Dude, we are PERFORMANCE biased. Intel is SPANKING AMD. If you would have been here one year ago you would have sworn both THG and the forumz were AMD biased.

If you want PLATFORMANCE for MEGATASKING go with AMD.
If you want the best processors in the world go with Intel.

It will be that way at least until K8L.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What it comes down to is that the bias is founded and can be proved with the use of benchmarks. People get excited about this and that is a good thing.

I have an AMD system, it works great and I am happy with it now and that is that. Next upgrade....? who knows what I will have then.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
My only comment to this would be to ask if you would be making a post like this if the forum were slanted mostly in favor of AMD?

Very good question. Probably I'd say something if the posts were inaccurate to my knowledge, since I like a level playing field.

Especially I'd speak up if the bias was in favor of the company with 80% market share, threatening to harm us (you and me) in the future via tactics to reduce competition (like the past exclusive arrangments now the subject of a lawsuit).

RCHflight

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
My only bias is toward performance for money and right now the Core 2 Duo series has it. Before it came out and when i was more of a forum lurker i was a AMD fanboy because i was sick of petium 4s and who isnt. :) like people said if the new amd chips are better than Core 2 than well i will follow my bias and go green or is it red or both.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
After being here a couple of months...

Yes, that does explain it. If you had been here for years you would have seen it go back and forth between AMD and Intel several times. No big deal...

Oddly....I seem to predate both of you.

Not that it means all that much, but I programmed my first computer in 1982.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Very good question. Probably I'd say something if the posts were inaccurate to my knowledge, since I like a level playing field.

Especially I'd speak up if the bias was in favor of the company with 80% market share, threatening to harm us (you and me) in the future via tactics to reduce competition (like the past exclusive arrangments now the subject of a lawsuit).AWWW!!!!! And so the real reason behind this post comes out. You just don't like Intel, so you thought you'd try and get a thread going about bias. :roll: