Sign in with
Your question

Does 8800 GTX support PCIe x8 SLi?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2007 2:46:42 PM

I heard that the new 8800s require "full" 2x 16 PCIe slots to work.

Is it true that u cannot install 2x 8800 GTX if ur motherboard only supports 2 x8 SLi?

Thnx!

P.S. If u could post a link to ur source, that would be great.
January 23, 2007 3:20:31 PM

No we still aren't saturating 8x (2Gb/s?) bus transfer, it would run without a performance hit.
January 23, 2007 4:05:44 PM

Quote:

Is it true that u cannot install 2x 8800 GTX if ur motherboard only supports 2 x8 SLi?

Thnx!

I can't remember where, but I have seen a system with dual 8800gtx and P5N-E SLI... I'm 99% sure you can go with 8800gtx x2 + 8x SLI
Related resources
January 23, 2007 4:22:22 PM

Quote:
No we still aren't saturating 8x (2Gb/s?) bus transfer, it would run without a performance hit.

2.5Gb/s actually.

No, obviously we arent. But the 8800s have been rumoured not to function at all under x8. Thats my problem.
January 23, 2007 4:35:40 PM

Quote:

2.5Gb/s actually.

No, obviously we arent. But the 8800s have been rumoured not to function at all under x8. Thats my problem.

I heard that as well, though the source escapes me now....
January 23, 2007 5:05:34 PM

well its obvious that valtiel is wrong, and that it will be half as strong!

8 +8 = 16 16+ 16=32!

so ur better off just using one 8800 on a 16x and giving the other one to me
January 23, 2007 5:24:57 PM

Quote:

8 +8 = 16 16+ 16=32!

That's why there's also a HUGE difference between 4x and 8x AGP... :roll: It's obvious you don't know WTF you are talking about.
Half as strong... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  You can count, but you don't make ANY sense.
January 23, 2007 5:35:30 PM

There was early problems with 8x and 8 series but new drivers have fixed it. There is a review here on the P5N-E SLI board.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI0OSw3...

At the end, one reviewer ran 2 x 8800GTX cards in it, coupled with a 6800 CPU for 15 hours without a problem. That siad, most benchmarks show a decrease in perfomance between the 680i and 650i chipsets when running two 8 series cards. 2x8800GTS suffers a couple of percent and the GTX loses more.

Bottom line is you can run two 8 series in 8x slots but you will suffer on the benchmarks for it.
January 23, 2007 6:05:48 PM

You probably can.

And you won't notice a performance difference.
January 23, 2007 6:14:05 PM

You won't notice the difference in a game but you will see it in the benchmarks. If you are a benchmark fanatic or FRAPS guy then you will get lower number. Not much but a little and this may be a bigger difference with DX10.

Personally I can't see the need right now for SLI with these beasts and plan on mouning my 8800GTS in a P5N-E SLI board. It gets all 16 lanes as a singleton and with a 1280x1024 LCD It'll be a long time before I can tap everythig even one card can do. If I ever go to two 8800GTS cards I'll worry about 32 lanes then.
January 23, 2007 6:17:09 PM

Quote:

8 +8 = 16 16+ 16=32!

Lol, silly little guy... I remember when I was like that :lol: 
January 23, 2007 6:19:30 PM

Was he? Maybe at the end, but it seemed he was serious about the rest. Oh well. 8)
January 23, 2007 6:53:22 PM

If by power you mean the voltage the card sucks up then yes I do understand that. The PCIe slot provides what it does regardless and separate hook ups via PCIe 6 pin power connetor(s) provide the rest. ALl I know is what I have read from the various review andtest sites regarding 8 series with only 8 lanes of PCIe available. There is a definite decrease in performance. It is an insignificant decrease but it is there.

From Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2894&p=5

We had heard rumors that the 8800 GTX cards would thrive on the dual x16 capable 680i chipset but in looking at the results in our two test games it appears there is very little difference in the scores between the two nForce 600i boards. We did not have any issues running our 8800 GTX SLI setup on the dual x8 capable 650i board and only in the synthetic 3DMark benchmarks did we see any true separation between the two setups. Those results favored the 680i over the 650i by 8% in 3DMark06, 6% in 3DMark05, and in 3DMark 2001 the 650i actually finished about 4% ahead of the 680i. At this time, the current games we have tested will perform almost equally on either board in 8800 GTX SLI operation at 1600x1200. We also tested at 1920x1200 resolutions with the same results between the two chipsets. We still need to complete testing at 2560x1600 with the 650i chipset but considering the very small increase in performance in SLI mode with our test setup, we highly recommend the purchase of a single 8800 GTX for today's games and to forgo 8800 GTX SLI operation at this time.

So a 6%-8% difference in 3DMark05/06 between the 680i and 650i with two 8800GTX cards in SLI. Almost no difference in games. Most testers had similar results. My choice is get the 650i and pocket the nearly $300 in savings over the Striker Extreme.
I think this will change, and you'll see a bigger difference, with DX10 but that is a guess.
January 23, 2007 7:00:26 PM

That problem was supposely fixed with the new drivers.
January 23, 2007 7:06:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You people arent getting the point..

8 lanes is enough for the 8800 GTX, that is clear.

Is it me, or do these statements contradict one another.
January 23, 2007 7:13:49 PM

Quote:
You won't notice the difference in a game but you will see it in the benchmarks. If you are a benchmark fanatic or FRAPS guy then you will get lower number. Not much but a little and this may be a bigger difference with DX10.

Even in benchmarks the difference is negligible.
January 23, 2007 7:43:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:
You people arent getting the point..

8 lanes is enough for the 8800 GTX, that is clear.

Is it me, or do these statements contradict one another.

Are u completely retarted??

The NEXT sentence after "8 lanes is enough" was "the problem is compatibilty".
January 23, 2007 7:57:21 PM

If you guys think you don't need SLI, then please have the spare 8800 GTX you don't want boxed up then please kindly mail it to me! :lol: 
January 23, 2007 8:02:09 PM

Personally, I think if you're spending 1100+ on graphic cards, you should be able to spend 200ish on a motherboard that wouldn't be iffy about with something like this.
January 23, 2007 8:18:33 PM

Easy on the name calling buddy boy. What's wrong with what I said? Those two statements contradict each other. If you don't realise that, then it is you who is the retarded one.
January 23, 2007 8:42:15 PM

I doubt you'll get very much help now. Good job.

Didn't you once say the 6600GT and the 9800pro had the same core... :roll:
January 23, 2007 9:04:09 PM

Give me solid, credible evidence that the 8800GTX has repeatedly failed on one particular, dual 8X or 16X PCI-E motherboard in SLI.

I don't want any Inquirer articles or forum posts. I want current evidence from proven various hardware sites that says the 8800GTX will not work in SLI with a particular motherboard that runs either dual 16X PCI-E or dual 8X PCI-E slots.

Give me that info, and I'll start to take your plight a bit more seriously.
January 23, 2007 11:58:05 PM

Quote:

No, and only ppl as dumb as u can find here (no offence to the smart ones), could possibly take that the way i said it.

They both have the exact same core AS IN the core is identical (has the exact same ammount of pipelines), not that it has the same name.
Thinking that i could have said that, says something about YOU, not me.
January 24, 2007 12:01:51 AM

Quote:
Give me solid, credible evidence that the 8800GTX has repeatedly failed on one particular, dual 8X or 16X PCI-E motherboard in SLI.

I don't want any Inquirer articles or forum posts. I want current evidence from proven various hardware sites that says the 8800GTX will not work in SLI with a particular motherboard that runs either dual 16X PCI-E or dual 8X PCI-E slots.

Give me that info, and I'll start to take your plight a bit more seriously.

Gee, u know i must have misplaced my Core 2 Duo, 8800 GTX SLi rigs. Shoot! Well i guess we're going to have to settle for the proof that the Inq gave about the ppl whos rigs WERE fucked, even though that proof isnt empirical.

I dont get how u can call the inq false when u have nothing to back it up.
What we have here is a major news website against a person who has no proof to back up the claim that the site is wrong.

Now ive seen some stories posted by the Inq that ended up being false, and it is true that they DO post speculation, but there has to be at least SOME truth in that article.
January 24, 2007 12:53:00 AM

A breakdown of any thread started by Track:
1. Ask for help/info about something.
2. Ignore advice given.
3. Insult one or more people.
4. Tell anyone whose posts he paid attention to that they are wrong.

What makes me chuckle about this particular topic is your sig line. It must not have everything. :lol: 

I would think if there was cause for concern there would be a lot more evidence of this problem than just an inq write up.
January 24, 2007 4:40:26 AM

Quote:

No, and only ppl as dumb as u can find here (no offence to the smart ones), could possibly take that the way i said it.

They both have the exact same core AS IN the core is identical (has the exact same ammount of pipelines), not that it has the same name.

Having the same amount of Pipelines and a different name DOES NOT make it the same chip. Not at all.

I'm trying to be patient with you but frankly, it is wearing thin.
January 24, 2007 4:48:31 AM

Quote:

Having the same amount of Pipelines and a different name DOES NOT make it the same chip. Not at all.

I'm trying to be patient with you but frankly, it is wearing thin.

How is it not the same core?

Ooh, better answer fast, dont want ur patiance to run out!
January 24, 2007 4:52:10 AM

Quote:
A breakdown of any thread started by Track:
1. Ask for help/info about something.
2. Ignore advice given.
3. Insult one or more people.
4. Tell anyone whose posts he paid attention to that they are wrong.

What makes me chuckle about this particular topic is your sig line. It must not have everything. :lol: 

I would think if there was cause for concern there would be a lot more evidence of this problem than just an inq write up.

Oh come on!

I dont ignore advice, i only insult those who deserve it and that i know from past experience with them. I pay attention to everyone and i never say this because if i ask a question then theres something i wanna know.
I'm the one who gets attacked, why are u on their side.

Oh, ud be surprised! Its the most extensive website detailing any type of PC hardware, in the world. But why dont u check it out for urself?

Look, i dont trust the Inq all that much, but im not going to spend 200$+ on a 650i and then find out it cant work with my setup, understand?
January 24, 2007 1:34:13 PM

Quote:

Um, you DID say that. You can give all the excuses you want, but you said that they have the SAME CORE. I don't care how you spin it, or what you meant, it's still proves that you have NO business giving advise on ANY computer related subject to anyone. You sure as hell don't know how to ask for help either. If you don't like the abuse, stop opening your mouth.
January 24, 2007 1:52:56 PM

ok, Track, you need to get your head straight and watch what you say.

First, you sometimes provide completely wrong advice, and when someone corrects you, you call them retards (and such), and claim you know everything. No one knows everything, so don't be a dick about it.

Now that you come for advice (no problem with that), when people try to help you, you again claim it's wrong, and call people names. You have a long reputation of giving wrong advice, and insulting others. What for? You know everything so you have the right to do that?

Stop with the name calling, and thinking you know everything. You need to change, and then we'll gladly help you. We won't help you (or anyone) with your attitude.
January 24, 2007 1:59:44 PM

Quote:

Thnx!

Did a best buy salesman tell you this?
January 24, 2007 2:25:24 PM

Quote:

Thnx!

The early 8 series had issues with running on x8 lanes, this was early hardware. The early hardware also had two other problems
1) they used to small of a resistor on the PCB
has been fixed and all new cards are ok

2) early cards were not PCI-Sig certified
it has since passed PCI-Sig certification

Those were its two biggest problems aside from not having very good drivers, but when you go with an oddball design like they did your bound to have hardware and software issues.

edit: LINKS

X-Bit Labs

Overclockers UK this one can be taken with a grain of salt
January 24, 2007 2:51:18 PM

btw.. anyone noticed how anandtech seems again to trow their biased thing toward intel?
I mean, the entire review is plagued with intel ads o_O
January 24, 2007 4:35:17 PM

Quote:
I dont get how u can call the inq false when u have nothing to back it up.
What we have here is a major news website against a person who has no proof to back up the claim that the site is wrong.

A major news website. Hah. You mean one that's well known to post FUD. The best explanation of INQ I've seen around here is mpjesse's which a 50% of what they say is credible while the other 50% is pure speculation.

:roll:

Anandtech ASUS P5N-E SLI Review utilizing dual 8800GTXs in SLI

VR-Zone ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI Review utilizing dual 8800GTSs in SLI
!